Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Powered Subwoffer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powered Subwoffer?

I've read a bunch of threads and I've seen people try to swap out the speaker in the existing enclosure (with or without a new amp) and others have added a new sub driven by a new amp.

Has anyone simply added a smaller powered sub that can fit in the spare tire compartment? Due to size constraints of the compartment (it is roughly 7" x 32" x 9.5"), we are likely limited to an 8 inch subwoofer, probably driven by a 75-150 watt amp.

I suspect that installation would be a snap as the battery is right there and you can tap into the existing sub's speaker signal; you can also tap into the 12V power line for a remote turn-on if desired.

My question is - is this enough to make a difference? Perhaps not a 'thumping' difference, but would it fill some of the void in the lower frequencies?

I'm tempted to try it out - there are a few powered subs in the $200-$300 range out there.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 225 Likes on 189 Posts
Default Watch what you are doing.....

Originally Posted by ser968
I've read a bunch of threads and I've seen people try to swap out the speaker in the existing enclosure (with or without a new amp) and others have added a new sub driven by a new amp.

Has anyone simply added a smaller powered sub that can fit in the spare tire compartment? Due to size constraints of the compartment (it is roughly 7" x 32" x 9.5"), we are likely limited to an 8 inch subwoofer, probably driven by a 75-150 watt amp.

I suspect that installation would be a snap as the battery is right there and you can tap into the existing sub's speaker signal; you can also tap into the 12V power line for a remote turn-on if desired.

My question is - is this enough to make a difference? Perhaps not a 'thumping' difference, but would it fill some of the void in the lower frequencies?

I'm tempted to try it out - there are a few powered subs in the $200-$300 range out there.
you could cause problems just powering the sub right from the battery. The Q5 has a a hi-tech voltage monitoring system that shuts down certain sections of the electrical system due to battery performance. Plus there is an explosive battery disconnect device attached to the battery so you don't want to play with that. I'm not saying that you can't connect a sub amp directly to the the battery, you just need to find out from some people that have done this and if it didn't affect the electrical monitoring system.

Good luck!
Old 03-28-2014, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ser968
Check out this thread, likes like a decent solution!

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...=kicker&page=2
Old 03-28-2014, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yep - saw that - that is actually the thread that got me thinking. I want to savage at least some of the space in the compartment, so I was thinking of doing something not as elaborate
Old 03-28-2014, 11:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

"Plus there is an explosive battery disconnect device attached to the battery so you don't want to play with that."
Bob, PLEASE tell me that's my kind of joke, that there really aren't explosive bolts in my car. Or explosive guillotine cutters on the power cables. PLEASE. It is unsettling enough having Herr Doktor Strangelove as my chauffeur but I didn't give him permission to go weapons hot at any time for any reason.

To the OP, if there's no deep bass coming out of the "radio", adding a better, or amplified, subwoofer won't create any. You can make what's there louder, but you can't restore tones the radio isn't producing. Sad lack of bass in the stock radio, sad joke to use a subwoofer at all when there's so little bass.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Couldn't a subwoofer (or two) fit behind or sunk into the side panels in the cargo area? Or under the passenger seat - what's under there, anyway?
Old 03-29-2014, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Subwoofer under the seat = "You must 21 to ride this ride" ?
Old 03-29-2014, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Xenonista
Couldn't a subwoofer (or two) fit behind or sunk into the side panels in the cargo area? Or under the passenger seat - what's under there, anyway?
BMW puts their subs under the driver & passenger seats.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Xenonista
i wouldnt do one under the seat. i have never heard an under the seat sub that sounded even remotely worth the money.

when i was doing my install (similar to LASQ5, minus the cap), i nosed around the entire cargo area. the compartment on the left is cavernous and could provide a great solution for mounting an 8" into that compartment cover. i didnt investigate further because i love the idea of having the sub 100% stealth under the cargo area floor.

to the OP - doing an install similar to LASQ5 (and others) makes a world of difference in the sound. bass guitars, kick drums, and floor toms can all be felt now. it is a great addition to the B&O's decent mid punch and the best mod for me under $300.

Last edited by -hef-; 03-31-2014 at 05:43 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well, I decided to buy an 8" powered sub in a small enclosure and I will be installing it this coming weekend. If it doesn't help, I will send it back (I love those money-back guarantees!) and go the other route of installing a separate amp and sub. I will let everyone know of the results after installation.

Quick Reply: Powered Subwoffer?