Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Preventive Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preventive Maintenance

My wife has a 2012 2.0T with 40k miles that we bought new 3 years ago. I expected to sell it after the warranty ran out, but now my wife now tells me she wants to keep it until it dies. I've only been doing basic maintenance (5k, 15k, 25k, 35k) that was prepaid with Audicare, but I would've been more on top of preventive maintenance if I knew we would keep the car out of warranty. What additional maintenance should I be doing on top of what Audicare covers?

I know for BMWs you should be doing 1 extra oil change in between the recommended service interval so I'll do that with my Q5 too. I probably need to get my brake fluid flushed too since I don't think that was covered by Audicare. Anything else I need to do - ATF, diff fluid, gear oil, coolant change, sunroof/plenum panel drain?

It's been a great reliable car for us so far, but I know problems generally start popping up right after the warranty expires in year 5 so I want to keep her in the best shape possible. Would you recommend buying a VCDS to scan the systems for any codes so they can be addressed before the warranty runs out?

Last edited by Parsec; 06-30-2015 at 06:43 AM.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should make sure you do everything that's noted in the maintenance schedule...

http://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/a...-Year-2012.pdf

I probably need to get my brake fluid flushed too since I don't think that was covered by Audicare.
Brake fluid needs to be changed every 2 years as per the maintenance schedule, so Audicare should have done that. Check your invoice.

Would you recommend buying a VCDS to scan the systems for any codes so they can be addressed before the warranty runs out?
If all you need to do is read fault codes, then there are much cheaper solutions out there. Look into Carista or Torque, if you have a smartphone.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
You should make sure you do everything that's noted in the maintenance schedule...

http://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/a...-Year-2012.pdf

Brake fluid needs to be changed every 2 years as per the maintenance schedule, so Audicare should have done that. Check your invoice.

If all you need to do is read fault codes, then there are much cheaper solutions out there. Look into Carista or Torque, if you have a smartphone.
I know they change what's included in Audicare from time to time, so I probably should've checked my invoices before posting.

I have a bluetooth OBD2 scanner with Torque which can read engine codes, but I was under the impression I need VCDS to read codes for the airbag or transmission modules for example. I recall someone saying something to this effect a few years ago, to do your own scan before the warranty runs out because the dealer doesn't do a full diagnostic scan as part of the scheduled service.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by Parsec
I know they change what's included in Audicare from time to time, so I probably should've checked my invoices before posting.
Audicare has to do whatever the official maintenance schedule indicates. That is the whole point of it.

I have a bluetooth OBD2 scanner with Torque which can read engine codes, but I was under the impression I need VCDS to read codes for the airbag or transmission modules for example.
I see. Not sure on this. Hopefully someone else will chime in.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Parsec
I probably need to get my brake fluid flushed too since I don't think that was covered by Audicare.
Audicare covered a brake flush @ my 45K mile service. I would just follow the maintenance schedule as outlined by your manual and not worry too much about it.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Engine oil really should be checked with a $25 analysis. Blackstone Labs are the goto name, their kits are sold online as well. "Extra" oil changes are an exercise in paranoia if the lab test shows they are not needed. And they should not be, in normal use.

Likewise, brake fluid. Two years is a rule of thumb based on the average absorbtion of water over time. Great way to go in the 1970's, but now there are test strips (paper dip strips) and inexpensive test meters ($25 online) that will tell you in seconds whether your brake fluid has water in it, or doesn't. Some car makers will state "technician to test brake fluid, change if needed" and gladly charge you for 1/2 hour of labor when you can easily do this yourself. And apparently, if brake fluid is improperly changed, you can lose the master cylinder and ABS controller from debris--figure three grand at least. So there's good reason to CHECK the fluid and only test it when needed, two years or otherwise.

For long term I'd make sure all the powertrain fluids (transmission, differentials) were changed on schedule and because those are harder to test--40-50,000 miles seems to be all anyone that makes them recommends.

Coolant is also not forever, there are lubricants and additives in it that wear out.

And personally, I've found that ArmorAll (original white, not the new clear) ensures that all the rubbery trim and moldings stay flexible and don't rot as they age.

But that magic 50,000 number...I don't know. Before you need the third set of tires and third set of brake parts and whatever else comes up, it might pay to see what the "Summer of Audi" can do. If you've got a CarMax around you, they'll give you a very reasonable value for your car, so you know what it can easily be sold for.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
Coolant is also not forever, there are lubricants and additives in it that wear out.
Not according to the SA at the dealer. I just had a faulty water pump replaced @ 22k miles and about 2 1/2 years. I told him as long as the system was opened up I would like the coolant flushed and replaced. He said it was not necessary because Audi coolant is a "lifetime fluid". I mumbled BS under my breath and asked him to do it anyway. He said ok but it will run $250-$300 extra! I don't think so. I will go elsewhere or do it myself. Have to do more research on this supposed magical lifetime anti-freeze.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Antifreeze has become another magical technology that civilians should not be bothered with, yes? (sigh)

Actually two years ago I went looking for a can of "water pump lubricant/additive" which is what we used to add to old AF to keep those things up. Nope. Not at any of the major part chains or from any of the major makers, although one brand still mentioned it online.

OK, maybe the new stuff (Halvoline "orange" or Dex-whatever, take your pick) really does last forever. I know it isn't supposed to break down but I can't help thinking, there's iron and aluminum and solder and all sorts of other good stuff, there has to be galvanic action going on, even if you "used the very best of butter!" as the Mad Hatter said. (Or was that the dormouse?)

When I see distilled water selling for $1/gallon at WalMart, and antifreeze selling at 10x-20x that price when it is "prediluted" and 50% distilled water anyway, I just have to wonder. How lazy the public can be, to be paying $20+ extra per gallon, just because they can't understand "pour half and half".

Perhaps if I made a thousand an hour, fourteen hours a day, and simply had no TIME to PICK UP A BOTTLE.....
Old 07-01-2015, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by HZ60
Audi coolant is a "lifetime fluid".
Yeah, this whole lifetime fluid concept always cracks me up. It often requires one to dig deeper to find out what the definition of 'lifetime' is. While most dealers won't admit to it, often times lifetime is defined as 10 years, because an average new car owner will not care to keep the vehicle longer than this, so who cares? Well, the second, and third, and fourth owners care, but the vehicle manufacturer just wants to sell you a new car, so they don't care.

Take ATF for example. If your transmission kicks the bucket in 10 years, then the fluid has lasted it its lifetime. Now, if you'd like your trans to last longer than that, maybe you should consider changing the ATF every now and then.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Pete-
Last I heard, the average car on a US road was 11 years old now, up considerably in the past decade.
I agree with you about fluids, I'm sure that Audi would say "Congratulations, you have used this car for a lifetime. Would you prefer a separate casket, or to be buried IN it?"

Presented that way, as a choice of two paths, I'm sure the average own could be encouraged to make the right choice.(G)

Quick Reply: Preventive Maintenance