Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 with 2.0T died

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 03:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 with 2.0T died

I have a 2011 Q5 2.0T . Just rolled past 200k.
rings and pistons replaced at 80k due to excessive oil consumption.
Now the timing chain has jumped and I may have bent valves. Car is in a independent shop being evaluated.
I was planning on keeping this car at least another 3-4 years. I expected better from Audi than this. I got rid of a RX330 with 225k on it and never had problems anywhere close to what this car has been. My oil is changed every 10k miles on the dot with Synthetic and OEM Audi filters. I love the way the car handles, its never needed a alignment, tires wear perfectly and steering is awesome.
I drive 40k miles a year, Im really disappointed in Audi engine quality/reliability, I won't be buying another. Probably going back to Toyota.
Doing some searches on 2.0t timing chain and it seems this is a fairly well know problem with this engine. Unfortunately I didn't realize it till it was too late.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly, you're lucky to have gotten 200K out of it. These engines aren't known for long term reliability, or at least not to the extent that Honda/Toyota engines are. If I was racking up 40K miles a year, I probably would not be buying a VAG product, unless I was replacing it every 3 years.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunate about the timing chain and engine problems. With the miles you drive, you're better off
going with a Honda or Toyota. 200k is nothing to sneeze at though.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by q5dave
Now the timing chain has jumped and I may have bent valves. Car is in a independent shop being evaluated.
I was planning on keeping this car at least another 3-4 years. I expected better from Audi than this. I got rid of a RX330 with 225k on it and never had problems anywhere close to what this car has been. My oil is changed every 10k miles on the dot with Synthetic and OEM Audi filters. I love the way the car handles, its never needed a alignment, tires wear perfectly and steering is awesome.
I drive 40k miles a year, Im really disappointed in Audi engine quality/reliability, I won't be buying another. Probably going back to Toyota.
Doing some searches on 2.0t timing chain and it seems this is a fairly well know problem with this engine. Unfortunately I didn't realize it till it was too late.
It is true that there is a problem with 2.0TFSI engine but there is no perfect car in the world

FYI I had an Audi 2.0TDI MY2008 and sold it with 310,000 km, and before that the same A4 2003 with 225,000 without any problems

Toyota RAV4 had a lot of problems with a diesel engine 2.2 in Europe

Here are some examples Audi Q5 with more than 200,000:

217.000km:
Audi Q5 2.0 TFSI quattro Aut. /Navi/ Xenon/ PDC-V+H als Geländewagen/Pickup in Schönefeld bei Berlin

220.000km:
Audi Q5 2.0 TFSI quattro s-line als Limousine in Nürnberg

326.000km:
Audi Q5 2.0 TDI quattro*Xenon*Leder*6gang*PDC*1Hand* als Limousine in Fürth bei Nürnberg

329.000km:
Audi Q5 2.0 TDI quattro Stronic als Limousine in Berlin

277.470km:
Audi Q5 3,0TDI Xenon/Navi/Alu/Euro5/Scheckheft als Geländewagen/Pickup in München

250.000km:
Audi Q5 2.0 TDI quattro als Limousine in Raesfeld

338.000km:
Audi Q5 3.0 TDI - AUTO - S-LINE - CUIR CLIM - XENON als Geländewagen/Pickup in Ciney Emptinne

Conclusion:
All the models Audi are not bad

Last edited by spijun; 07-20-2016 at 08:10 AM.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 225 Likes on 189 Posts

I guess you don't surf the net a lot regarding the VAG 2.0T engine timing chain tensioner failure issue on engines prior to 2012. You have the classic timing chain tensioner failure results.

If you had followed the tensioner discussions over the years you probably could have saved your engine with the 2012+ updated chain tensioner replacement being done a few years ago.
Old 07-21-2016, 01:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
I guess you don't surf the net a lot regarding the VAG 2.0T engine timing chain tensioner failure issue on engines prior to 2012. You have the classic timing chain tensioner failure results.

If you had followed the tensioner discussions over the years you probably could have saved your engine with the 2012+ updated chain tensioner replacement being done a few years ago.
Also many early 2012's from what I have seen. Not real common but catastrophic when it fails. Ticking time bomb.
There are class action lawsuits in the works. Save any and all receipts along with the old bad design tensioner if you can. Those receipts will be like cash in a few years when this all gets settled.
Anyone proactively change out the tensioner for the new one either DYI or dealer or Indy? Save those receipts and tensioner as well. With history as a guide, reimbursement is probable as well, just not anytime soon.
Most are high mileage but some as low as 20K miles. Going to update mine very soon and use my car with less stress.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No Bob, I didn't surf the the net regarding the chain tensioner problem until after the fact.
My mistake.
I guess my expectations were too high for a $43,000 car, I expected better.
Got a little concerned when Audi put new pistons and rings in the engine at 80,000 miles at there expense. How the hell does that happen? Anyone can make a mistake but come on. That had to cost Audi a bundle. Anything thats mechanical can fail, I get that but a company designs and builds a engine and makes thousands of them with bad pistons and rings?
We had a 1999 Camry with a Iron 4 cylinder automatic, $23,000 car. Did timing belt around 120K then at 240K. Recommended . The Audi 2.0 Has a chain,not a belt. Doesn't need replacing I was told when I purchased the car.
The Camry has 350K on it now, owned by two other kids that don't maintain it at all and its still running.
Looks like my valves are not bent according to the shop thats repairing it so only going to need a new chain and tensioner.
I'm on the fence about replacing this car or keep driving it. With the millage on it it's not worth much, worth more to me than someone else. If It seems to run like it did before the failure I'll likely keep racking up the miles on it.
The rest of the car, suspension, 8 speed transmission have been awesome.
I still like driving the car a bunch.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a common misconception that paying more for a vehicle buys you better reliability. In reality, there is no connection between the two. You're typically paying more for either performance or luxury, or both. However, higher performance and luxury often translate to more complexity, which means a greater chance for something to break.

I am certainly not saying Audi isn't to blame for the design. However, as another poster pointed out, many other manufacturers occasionally crank out bad designs, too, and it takes a few years for the manufacturer to correct it. Even Toyota had some sludged up V6 engines in recent past, and Honda's VCM is also causing long term reliability issues. Not everything can be long-term tested at the factory, and the competition is so fierce, companies do not want to spend years testing their designs before putting them out on the market. This of course means that we, the consumers, are often times their guinea pigs.

Hoping you can get your car running soon. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Last edited by ex-quattro PETE; 07-21-2016 at 05:00 AM.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 225 Likes on 189 Posts

No Bob, I didn't surf the the net regarding the chain tensioner problem until after the fact.
My mistake.
Got a little concerned when Audi put new pistons and rings in the engine at 80,000 miles at there expense. How the hell does that happen? Anyone can make a mistake but come on. That had to cost Audi a bundle. Anything thats mechanical can fail, I get that but a company designs and builds a engine and makes thousands of them with bad pistons and rings?
We had a 1999 Camry with a Iron 4 cylinder automatic, $23,000 car. Did timing belt around 120K then at 240K. Recommended . The Audi 2.0 Has a chain,not a belt. Doesn't need replacing I was told when I purchased the car.
The Camry has 350K on it now, owned by two other kids that don't maintain it at all and its still running.
Looks like my valves are not bent according to the shop thats repairing it so only going to need a new chain and tensioner.
I'm on the fence about replacing this car or keep driving it. With the millage on it it's not worth much, worth more to me than someone else. If It seems to run like it did before the failure I'll likely keep racking up the miles on it.
The rest of the car, suspension, 8 speed transmission have been awesome.
I still like driving the car a bunch.
That's great to hear that the valves are ok!

I have owned 3 Audi vehicles. I currently own a 2014 Q5 and a 2014 Honda CRV and I don't see where the Q5 has any more luxury over my CRV. In fact, if I had to get rid of one it would be the Q5. There's a lot of fluff on owning a luxury German vehicle as most people own them as an ego trip, I was probably one of them, but not anymore.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
That's great to hear that the valves are ok!

I have owned 3 Audi vehicles. I currently own a 2014 Q5 and a 2014 Honda CRV and I don't see where the Q5 has any more luxury over my CRV. In fact, if I had to get rid of one it would be the Q5. There's a lot of fluff on owning a luxury German vehicle as most people own them as an ego trip, I was probably one of them, but not anymore.
I've been in my friends 2016 CRV EX-L as a driver and passenger several times and would buy one. However, I can tell the difference between it and our recently sold Q5 in terms of ride, handling (mainly handling), road noise and cabin ambiance. Points of difference between the two cars. Whether it's worth it or not is up to the individual.

Quick Reply: Q5 with 2.0T died