Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 with 2.0T died

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
That's great to hear that the valves are ok!

I have owned 3 Audi vehicles. I currently own a 2014 Q5 and a 2014 Honda CRV and I don't see where the Q5 has any more luxury over my CRV. In fact, if I had to get rid of one it would be the Q5. There's a lot of fluff on owning a luxury German vehicle as most people own them as an ego trip, I was probably one of them, but not anymore.
There are SOME priceless things about owning a German over many American and Japanese cars, and that is that they are tanks, get into a T-bone or frontal accident on a CRV vs a Q5. And I'll take the heavyweight Q5 all the time.

We've rid of our 2010 Q5 for a 2015 RDX and the same holds true. The wife states the Q was solid, and she felt safe in it. We've been fine with Acura as a premium brand vs. Audi as a luxury brand as the Honda V6 in the RDX can hold its own against the 3.2 V6 we had in the Q5. Fit and finish, suspension, and build quality is far superior in the Q vs. the RDX and most certainly over the CRV, IMO.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 225 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by lmariorod
There are SOME priceless things about owning a German over many American and Japanese cars, and that is that they are tanks, get into a T-bone or frontal accident on a CRV vs a Q5. And I'll take the heavyweight Q5 all the time.

We've rid of our 2010 Q5 for a 2015 RDX and the same holds true. The wife states the Q was solid, and she felt safe in it. We've been fine with Acura as a premium brand vs. Audi as a luxury brand as the Honda V6 in the RDX can hold its own against the 3.2 V6 we had in the Q5. Fit and finish, suspension, and build quality is far superior in the Q vs. the RDX and most certainly over the CRV, IMO.
Well I guess I have an odd ball CRV as the fit and finish is just super. Plus the A/C performance is better, the heater performance is better, the leather quality and seat comfort are better, the electric steering assist and road feedback is superior. The CRV ride is great, not the bouncy Q5 ride, this is why the rest of the family made me buy a CRV they hate the Q5 bouncy ride. I'll agree the Audi 2.0T is better than the CRV 4 cylinder.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 225 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
I've been in my friends 2016 CRV EX-L as a driver and passenger several times and would buy one. However, I can tell the difference between it and our recently sold Q5 in terms of ride, handling (mainly handling), road noise and cabin ambiance. Points of difference between the two cars. Whether it's worth it or not is up to the individual.
Bob, I must ask why you gave up a Q5 SUV and went with an A6? Maybe you are like me and find the Q5 just a little too top heavy that sways too much. sedans just feel more in control.

I agree that the CRV has slightly more road noise.

My Q5 may be going shortly as I'm looking at buying a mid life crisis vehicle, a 1963 Corvette split window coupe, I'll enjoy this noisy (side pipes), no A/C, poor handling rocket much more. I also have a Tacoma pickup so I'm ok. The rest of the family can use the CRV. I had my Q5 inspected (PA safety inspection) today, 3 years old this month, with a grand total of 9,327 miles, washed about 5-6 times, as you can see the Q5 just isn't our loved vehicle. The CRV and Tacoma sit in the garage, the Q5 sits outside.

I really know why I don't like the Q5 that much, for my whole life all my owned vehicles were manual transmission equipped and I miss the engine compression braking on the Q5. If I had a manual trans Q5 (yes they sell this in other parts of the world) my feelings would be different.

Last edited by Bob Petruska; 07-21-2016 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-21-2016, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Bob, I must ask why you gave up a Q5 SUV and went with an A6? Maybe you are like me and find the Q5 just a little too top heavy that sways too much. sedans just feel more in control.

I agree that the CRV has slightly more road noise.

My Q5 may be going shortly as I'm looking at buying a mid life crisis vehicle, a 1963 Corvette split window coupe, I'll enjoy this noisy (side pipes), no A/C, poor handling rocket much more. I also have a Tacoma pickup so I'm ok. The rest of the family can use the CRV. I had my Q5 inspected (PA safety inspection) today, 3 years old this month, with a grand total of 9,327 miles, washed about 5-6 times, as you can see the Q5 just isn't our loved vehicle. The CRV and Tacoma sit in the garage, the Q5 sits outside.

I really know why I don't like the Q5 that much, for my whole life all my owned vehicles were manual transmission equipped and I miss the engine compression braking on the Q5. If I had a manual trans Q5 (yes they sell this in other parts of the world) my feelings would be different.
Bob, the reason we got out of the Q5 is that I always buy my cars and don't keep them beyond the factory warranty period. The Q5 was coming up on that in a few months. It was our 1st Audi and was a very good experience overall. My biggest complaint was that it did get bouncy over uneven pavement (maybe it was the 19" wheels), but other than that it was a nice quiet cruiser for long trips. We were looking for another CUV to replace it but out of the blue decided on a sedan since we weren't using the hauling capacity of the Q5. I'm sure there will be times when we miss it though. Now we have two sedans, that might be a mistake .
Old 07-21-2016, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

We own a CRV. Hands down better than a RAV4. It's great -- reliable, cheap to run and maintain with boring color selections inside and out. Doesn't come close to having the fit, finish, performance, excitement, or luxury of a Q5.

But a decked out Q5 2.0L is 50% more expensive than a decked out CRV. Go to a decked out SQ5 and you are approaching double the price.

If I were driving 40,000 per year, I'd probably go for the Honda for reliability, but then I'd probably go for the Audi given that I'm spending so much time in the car, I would want my ride to be as nice as possible. What's more important to you?

That's why people in Los Angeles drive nice cars -- because commuters basically spend a lot of time commuting
Old 07-21-2016, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

I think we will have this solved with the 2018 Q5. It should have a 7 speed s-tronic DSG transmission. I have a 6 speed s-tronic on my S3 and really love the engine braking that I am able to do.

(Lets not talk about it being made in Mexico. I just plan on leasing it.)

Last edited by DennisMitchell; 07-22-2016 at 05:51 AM.
Old 07-22-2016, 03:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, $2600 later i'm on the road again.
With a trade value of $8500. I think i'm going to keep driving it.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear it dave, we have always been with the Detroit and Japan cars until the 2015 Q5 TDI. I gotta say, we have enjoyed this vehicle, especially on long trips better than any previous vehicle. I still won't part with my full size American pickup though. The fit and finish, performance, gas mileage, and etc. are beyond comparing to anything we have owned or driven previously. We generally keep our vehicles around 10 yrs. and either trade or give to children if desired.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

What Pete said, Dave.
But now that it is fixed again, I suppose a $2500 routine replacement (of the timing chain) every 200k miles isn't a deal breaker towards keeping the car long term.
Some auto makers, like Honda, are well known to be problematic because they use interference engines and things smash apart if the timing belt/chain fails. Others, like Toyota, are known for getting less performance and less mileage because they use non-interference engines, so a busted timing belt is just a damned inconvenience. Still, it can be $500 every 50k miles, so it adds back up to $2000/200k miles as well. And two days at a time, a week of inconvenience.

A friend of my father's, who owned a high-end car dealership, used to keep a ****** Jeep at his hunting lodge. He said he loved it because it had all of about 64 moving parts, and that including four wheels, four pistons, eight valves, and not a whole lot more.

Wouldn't be quite the same on the highway though.(G)
Old 07-23-2016, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I really hope Audi has it together with the new Q5 being built in Mexico.

You all know that the Tacoma is built in Mexico? So is the Honda Fit and some CRVs. You don't hear complaints about those vehicles. Actually, those cars are considered some of the most reliable.

Quick Reply: Q5 with 2.0T died