Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 Easter Eggs (hidden/no-so-obvious features)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 12:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Parsec
Are you talking about that thing with 3 slots which holds a total of 6 quarters in an upright position? That will pay for 72 minutes of parking downtown ... useless!
I agree! It's an outdated idea and only serves to collect hard to clean crud
Old 05-17-2014, 12:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by johncaravello
I fiqured the intent of the "cooling hole" in the glovebox was to keep your Ipod from cooking during the summer.
You're Hired!
Old 08-03-2014, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Alternate Starting Method

Think this will qualify. Discovered by accident, that if you put the advance key in the key slot and push it in, the engine will start automatically (brake must be depressed).
Old 08-04-2014, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Easter eggs are, by definition, hidden and undocumented.

That you didn't read the page in the manual that says that's how you start the engine, doesn't make it an easter egg. These cars are full of stuff you'd never suspect unless you RTFM, but if it is in the manual, it isn't an easter egg.

Of course my salesman didn't read the manual either, he thinks that if you put the key fob in the slot it charges the battery in the fob. (Not so, those batteries like to explode if recharged.)
Old 08-04-2014, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Redd
Easter eggs are, by definition, hidden and undocumented.

That you didn't read the page in the manual that says that's how you start the engine, doesn't make it an easter egg. These cars are full of stuff you'd never suspect unless you RTFM, but if it is in the manual, it isn't an easter egg.

Of course my salesman didn't read the manual either, he thinks that if you put the key fob in the slot it charges the battery in the fob. (Not so, those batteries like to explode if recharged.)
If we really hold to that standard almost nothing on this thread is an Easter Egg (after all the coin holder is clearly labeled in the first few pages), but that being said, I do not remember alternate methods for starting the engine mentioned in the manual. If Audi had the courtesy to have a PDF manual, I'd double check.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

" If Audi had the courtesy to have a PDF manual"
Hallelujah, Amen Brother!

It takes nearly zero effort to product a PDF version--if that's not already what they supplied to their printer.

If I keep the manual in the glovebox, it won't be handy when I think of something at home. And if I take it out of the car, it may not be there when I need it, to solve some mystery in the car.

Surely...Audi doesn't think they're going to sell extra manuals to the rubes to solve that one?!

Interesting article about undocumented things in WIRED today. Someone has found a way to use a software defined radio and sweep keyless fob combinations (a brute force approach, in hackspeak) so that it may take a couple of hours, but he can open cars without the fob. Next step being of course, start the engine.

And the interesting part is not just that fob security may have been flushed down the crapper, but that he found one combination very quickly, which worked about two dozen times, and then wouldn't work again. Giving the impression that it was a back door, a "master key" of sorts, that gets locked out after a certain number of uses.

Same thing that thieves used to do before rolling codes, in the 80's and 90's. Looks like the "oddball" Mercedes system with an infrared fob that has to be physically inserted in the dashboard, may be more secure.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Audi sells a few options that attach to this hook.
I think an umbrella and a case of some sort.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

On 09-12 models with HID headlamps, it says "Q5" on the lights in front of the blinkers.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The middle of the MMI dial on my 12' is actually a little joystick for the GPS.

Just found this out yesterday.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi guys, new Q5 owner here. This thread is really fun to read and I've learned quite a few tricks, thanks!

What I wish it had was a shortcut to switch map from flat top view to elevated view and back. Elevated view (seeing ahead) is useful for actually following the nav, but top flat view is great for route planning.

Handy in Boston area where I live as I often over-rule GPS route planning due to traffic, road conditions, mood swings, etc. ;-)

Quick Reply: Q5 Easter Eggs (hidden/no-so-obvious features)