Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 Easter Eggs (hidden/no-so-obvious features)

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So I live up North in Canada. I noticed my wipers parking in different spots on the windshields. Just read: 1-wipers parking position changes every other use to reduce wear. 2- wipers automatically assume higher resting position on windshield in temps below 40F .
Old 12-19-2014, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Which really begs the question: When the wipers come to rest in the higher position, does the Stability Control system know about this and properly compensate?
(WEG)
Old 12-19-2014, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
Which really begs the question: When the wipers come to rest in the higher position, does the Stability Control system know about this and properly compensate?
(WEG)
Only if you use the "LEAD" type wipers ; )
Old 12-19-2014, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Redd
(WEG)
Of course, it's an over-engineered German car! All suspension components, settings (camber etc.) and ride height adjust by 0.1 millimeter.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is really true....Back in 2004 I decided to grow up and trade in my tuned 1998 Z28 for a more sedate sedan. For some stupid reason I ended up buying a Hyundai XG300. I knew it was a mistake at day one. The car had a beautiful interior but handled like a marshmallow.
One rainy day, the radio was off and I was quietly stopped at a red light. The windshield wipers were on andcI noticed that the car actually rocked ever so slightly with the back and forth of the wipers!
Long story short; I sold the boat and was in a new BMW 328 within a couple of weeks

Originally Posted by Dalancroft
Of course, it's an over-engineered German car! All suspension components, settings (camber etc.) and ride height adjust by 0.1 millimeter.
Old 12-24-2014, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by JuliusK
Hi guys, new Q5 owner here. This thread is really fun to read and I've learned quite a few tricks, thanks!

What I wish it had was a shortcut to switch map from flat top view to elevated view and back. Elevated view (seeing ahead) is useful for actually following the nav, but top flat view is great for route planning.

Handy in Boston area where I live as I often over-rule GPS route planning due to traffic, road conditions, mood swings, etc. ;-)
Try the Voice Command: "standard map" or "3D map".
Old 03-10-2015, 01:21 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally from Coolieman1220:

Did you guys know, if you turn your engine off and hit the wiper stalk down for one wipe, it will leave the wipers in service mode?

No more having to go through the computer and selecting service mode on or off! Just hit the wiper stalk once your engine is off and BAM! It leave it in the service position!

Some owners reported that it didn't work for pre-'13 cars but it works like a charm for me.

Steve
Old 03-10-2015, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by scrmorling
Originally from Coolieman1220:

Did you guys know, if you turn your engine off and hit the wiper stalk down for one wipe, it will leave the wipers in service mode?

No more having to go through the computer and selecting service mode on or off! Just hit the wiper stalk once your engine is off and BAM! It leave it in the service position!

Some owners reported that it didn't work for pre-'13 cars but it works like a charm for me.

Steve
It definitely worked on my pp 14 tdi
Old 03-23-2015, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had this same issue. I thought the tool kit and jack were missing.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't know, I just would feel fatally futureshocked if I found myself going into a service department and asking for a firmware update on my windshield wipers.

I suppose it could be worse, Tesla pushes these things out "OTA" just like the cell phones do. Do you suppose a self-driving Audi will have the courtesy to go get its oil changed at night, when no one misses it?

Quick Reply: Q5 Easter Eggs (hidden/no-so-obvious features)