Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 MMI Outdated

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I was at CES and have been following the info on both systems. While it would have been nice for Apple owners had Audi decided to support Car Play with Siri integration, I doubt they will remove the already existing Apple support via AMI which works fine with the current MMI tech. From what I can see, there will be very limited app support via Car Play and having Apple map data on the screen instead of the existing NavTeq maps is not necessarily a step up at this point.

In any event, the voice control that Audi provides is pretty decent and as I stated, I find I can control most functions hands free now w/o having to operate through a different voice system like Siri. And if I want to use Siri, I can do various functions now, i.e. speak and hear messages, I simply tap my Siri button on the iPhone through the MMI sound system. Not as elegantly integrated perhaps, but functional.
Very nicely put. I do exactly the same with my A3 touch MMI. Getting SIRI to read out text messages isn't the most elegant solution as you said. To be honest, the Audi navigation is pretty awesome over the Apple maps. And I kind of like the fact that you don't have to connect the phone to any cables to get Media to play via Spotify and have phone support all directly over bluetooth.

I can literally get in the car and start it via the Keyless entry and the Media will pick up the current Spotify playlist within 4 secs or less.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by idale
My 2009 Odyssey had a terrible touchscreen, and the nav technology seemed even older than Audi's already-old system. Much prefer the Q5's system, other than I do miss being able to use voice to dial arbitrary numbers on the rare occasion I need to (unless I just haven't found how, looks like you can only call contacts via voice here).

And of course the "touch" MMI refers to the touchpad control and not an actual touchscreen, so if you liked directly touching the map, buttons, etc., then you still wouldn't get that here. But it should be more intuitive than the joystick, and adds handwriting recognition (not sure how "useful" that is in practice), not sure what else.

EDIT - The one nice thing about the Honda nav was that it was standard yearly DVD-based updates so you could update the nav (or not) each year instead of effectively never. That still seems pretty silly.
Funny that technology in navigation and radio/music will become more important than the car itself
Old 06-20-2014, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Reggie
Funny that technology in navigation and radio/music will become more important than the car itself
Only because it's the latest thing everyone is talking about. In a couple of years it will be only one more standard feature of the car like power steering, air conditioning, ESP and DRLs.