Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 Offroad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 Offroad?

Not true "off-roading", but at least non-paved roading. Long time lurker here with my first post. I have been looking at the Q5 for some time now, and getting closer to pulling the trigger, I think. My considerations are the SQ5 or 3.0 gas or TDI. I live in rural Kansas, and am about 1.5 miles from a paved road. So I have a minimum of 3 miles per day of gravel roads, sometimes more. My question is does anyone have experience with the Q5 in these conditions? The roads are covered in limestone based gravel, and can get fairly pot-holed and washboarded. The gravel is notoriously hard on tires, both wearing them quickly and poking holes in. Just concerned how the vehicle would hold up long term. I plan to put considerable miles on the car as I have a long daily commute. Any thoughts are appreciated.

BTW - if I go with the S, the 20's are a must, any of the options in the 21's appear they wouldn't hold up at all. Any experience with the 20's on gravel?
Old 10-20-2014, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

SQ5 might be a little stiff for your liking on a road like that but it depends on your tolerances. TDI might be a better bet if you're looking at a lot of miles.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Cannot believe I'm saying this, but have you considered something from the more "off road" end of the spectrum...like Jeep Grand Cherokee or Toyota 4Runner, etc.
I have an SQ5, and it is a real highway star, with power, speed, comfort and agility like no other crossover I've ever driven. But I can't see it spending much time on rough roads. If you do decide on a Q5, you may want to look for the smallest wheels that will fit around the brakes so that you can at least have some Winter tires with sidewalls to bounce you out of those potholes. I've lived on dirt roads and know how they can get "washboarded"
Im no expert on the brand, and it's only my dumb opinion, but I would scour the net for reviews. Hopefully some others will give you their views too. You can also search Audiworld for Q5 OFFROAD, as the subject has been brought up here before, and you can get more pros and cons to help with your decision.
Good Luck

Last edited by USAVAGEU; 10-20-2014 at 10:06 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the replies. I have considered many options this time around, including the utilitarian liked you mentioned. If I go that route, I would probably look hard at the '15 F-150 as I know the toughness there and with the turbos and alumiunum the mileage is in the reasonable range for the range I am driving. But considering my last several daily drivers have been no frills mileage eaters, I am craving something more fun, e.g. SQ5.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

The SQ5's suspension is softer then my Tiguans, with the 20s (255/45/20) it has larger sidewalls then the 19s (255/40/19) on the Tiguan and I don't have any issues on washboard roads/fire trails with the VW. I don't think it would be a problem but it's going to come down to your personal preferences.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have a 3.0T with 19" wheels and I think it's the perfect size. Handles great, tires are much less expensive than 20-21", and it's very comfortable on the dirt road I take to get to my cottage.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Since you estimate that the daily mileage spent on gravel washboard roads will be three miles - meaning the bulk of your miles will be on paved/highway the TDI would be an excellent choice. It won't have any issue getting down the road you describe.

IMO I wouldn't buy a vehicle (Ford F-150) specific to a very small sampling (3 miles daily) of road you plan on traveling.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

You should be just fine on a dirt road with an SQ5 - though if youre doing it regularly you should probably avoid the 21"s for more sidewall height, less a chance of puncturing the very expensive 21" tires, and frankly less concern about scratching up the very nice but very expensive 21" wheels .

Motortrend had this to say about driving the SQ5 offroad: "We were surprised at how good a driver the SQ5 was, on-road and off. So good, in fact, that we had to drive the SQ5 differently from any other vehicle in the competition. Off-road, we felt like we were driving a WRC car. The drivetrain worked perfectly and really let us hang it out before bringing us back to reality.
2014 Motor Trend SUV of the Year Contenders - Motor Trend Page 2
"

pics: 2014 Audi Sq5 Three Quarters In Motion Back View Photo 3
Old 10-21-2014, 09:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The Q is an non-paved machine. I fly over my washboard cottage road with ease. Super smooth.

Last week I took it to my hunt camp and faced hardcore washboard and road washouts, 8 inch+ deep flooded sections, and ruts. Barely noticed them. Had hunters stopping to watch me take the beast where only big pick-ups go. I was tempted to try a quad trail, but thought if I smashed the under pan and needed assistance, Audi assist wouldn't even be able to find my location.

Pull the trigger! Get a Q!
Old 10-21-2014, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah, no worries. the summers may not be the best compound for the road but you should be ok.

Quick Reply: Q5 Offroad?