Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Is the Q5 Really That Good In the Snow?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is the Q5 Really That Good In the Snow?

So before I write my thoughts here, I'd like you guys to know that I love my Q5 and I love driving it in the snow. I've had 3 of them (2009 3.2, 2012 2.0t & 2014 TDI) between all three, they have seen at least 60k miles total.

My first one, I put that through the blizzard of Christmas time in 2010. I made it through almost two feet of snow on un-plowed roads. I didn't have winter tires on it and it just went through everything no problem.

My TDI has winters on it and I've driven in bad snow storms with that on highways cruising along at 70mph without a worry, just going through the snow.

Lately, for work, I've been driving a lot of pickup trucks. They get through snow without an issue especially once in 4wd-high and they handle well in the snow. Although our Q5's get through heavy snow well and drive nice in it, when it comes to handling the snow, they don't feel so well. Every time I take a corner in the Q5, the traction control lights up as it slides. The traction control does an excellent job of correcting but I can't imagine how bad it would be if we didn't have a good stability control system.

These pick up trucks don't really have any of those issues, they turn well and drive nicely in snow. I attribute this to the long wheelbase that trucks have that gives them more stability where as the Q5 is kind of square. the width and the wheelbase are close to one another. I feel like if we didn't have an excellent mechanical all wheel drive system that can put the power where it needs to be and an even better stability system that intervenes at the right time just to get things under control and on the straight path again.

What do you guys think?
Old 01-28-2015, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Our Q5 with winter tires does OK in snow. I wouldn't call it spectacular, but no issues. I don't see the stability system working hard typically.

I feel like my RWD bmw with winter tires is just as capable in most situations, apart from ground clearance, of course.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's great in snow. I have Nokian R2 tires for winter.

The trucks you're driving probably have much bigger tires. That helps a lot in snow, and it's one of the reasons I wanted a Q5 instead of an A4. 4WD on a truck is also different than an AWD car.

In my experience, it's much more capable than FWD or RWD vehicles. I have a cottage with a very steep driveway, and my friend couldn't go up last weekend with his Jetta that has new winter tires. Had to put chains so he could crawl up the hill. I was accelerating all the way up the hill in the Q5.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

I have to believe it's very good in the snow when fitted with winter tires. That kind of ground clearance can be a big plus.

FWIW, our A6 is an outstanding snow cruiser (when fitted with winter tires). It might be the best car I've driven in inclement weather. It really is very good.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Weight is also factor as most pick-ups have considerably more mass to dig down deeper into snow or slush.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

I find that my SQ5 is a real tank in the winter when it's mixed with DM-V1

Love it so far.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
My TDI has winters on it and I've driven in bad snow storms with that on highways cruising along at 70mph without a worry, just going through the snow.
dude, don't be THAT guy. when i lived on the east coast, i saw more SUVs crash off the side of the road than normal cars...usually b/c these guys think with awd/4wd that they're invincible. a slick surface is a slick surface. if you're running on something slick, it doesn't matter if you're riding on tank tracks - you're not going to have complete control. 70mph "going through the snow" sounds like an accident waiting to happen.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by joey jojo
70mph "going through the snow" sounds like an accident waiting to happen.
Yeah, going isn't an issue. It's that stopping part that's a challenge. Nearly 5000 lbs of weight does not stop easily unless you have plenty of traction.

This is one huge difference that I notice between wife's Q5 and my 530i which is significantly lighter.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by joey jojo
dude, don't be THAT guy. when i lived on the east coast, i saw more SUVs crash off the side of the road than normal cars...usually b/c these guys think with awd/4wd that they're invincible. a slick surface is a slick surface. if you're running on something slick, it doesn't matter if you're riding on tank tracks - you're not going to have complete control. 70mph "going through the snow" sounds like an accident waiting to happen.
He said he had "winter" tires on his Q5. You are correct that those who think they are invincible just because of AWD are likely to be some of the first off the road... but I doubt many of those invincible SUV's were running with snow tires.

I do also agree that 70 mph in bad weather is not a good idea, no matter what the equipment.

Last edited by stash64; 01-28-2015 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

The Q is very capable in deep snow on pavement in my experience. No drama in getting through most anything, the intelligence of the system does what it's supposed to do and you get the best traction available at all times. Add winter tires and it's better still.

The trucks you're thinking are so much better off - may be. While the Q ground clearance is good, a pick up truck can easily have 12 inches of clearance. I have a pick up with 12" of clearance and it makes a big difference. Lockable rear and /or front differentials which are designed for off road use, can be very handy on pavement in deep snow, and slippery situations.

Open lug tires on pickups grip loose surfaces better as well, and clear the snow from the treads easier so the driver isn't running on snow clogged semi-slick tires.

Having said that - do you want rugged open tread tires on your Q? No, their noisy, weigh more, wear out faster, and return worse gas mileage.

Do you want a part-time 4WD, with a two speed transfer case with locking differentials? No again - they're great to have if you're off-roading, but not in a Q.

Bottom line is, the pick ups you see whizzing around you, benefit from their off road capability, which the Q does not have. The other 95% of the time, the Q runs circles around any pick-up truck on the planet. All vehicles have their limits, the Q is a very good on-road vehicle in slippery conditions. Will it go through anything? No, it won't, and neither will anything else.

And jeez guys, cut the OP some slack, condemning his driving habits or abilities when you clearly don't know the weather conditions is uncalled for. I have a feeling he was comfortable with it, and doubt he's a new driver with no experience.

Last edited by Q5 TDI; 01-28-2015 at 05:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Is the Q5 Really That Good In the Snow?