Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 Ride Quality?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 Ride Quality?

Hi - I am considering Q5 and X3. Everything I read about the Q5 seems to imply the ride can be stiff or harsh (e.g. Edmunds). Car & Driver compared the two models and said the X3 rode better which I find odd given the fact BMW uses those awful run flat tires. Any Q5 owners on here care to comment, especially those living in urban environments without pristine roads?
Old 02-02-2016, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jpnwdc
Hi - I am considering Q5 and X3. Everything I read about the Q5 seems to imply the ride can be stiff or harsh (e.g. Edmunds). Car & Driver compared the two models and said the X3 rode better which I find odd given the fact BMW uses those awful run flat tires. Any Q5 owners on here care to comment, especially those living in urban environments without pristine roads?
Maybe if you're running 21s with the adjustable suspension set to the firmest setting, possibly, but everything I've heard is that the Q5 rides much better than the X3. Personally (19s and standard suspension) I have zero complaints, and I run my tires several pounds above recommendations because that seems to work best for me (but would presumably make the ride slightly firmer).

You'll feel the road more than a Lexus, but that's a good thing. Obviously the best recommendation is to try and test drive both to see what you think, but of course getting the thoughts of people with more miles under their tires is good, too. I can't speak to the X3, but the Q5's been perfectly fine for me even on choppy roads.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by idale
but everything I've heard is that the Q5 rides much better than the X3.

^^^ My thought, too. We've got the 18" balloon tires on ours and it's as smooth as can be expected. Much smoother than our other two cars.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've driven both extensively in the New York City area, and I think they both ride well. Then again, I have no serious objection even to an SQ5 with 21 inch wheels. You can replace the run flats on an X3 (lots of BMW owners do), and it will soften the ride if that's what you preference is. Just don't get tires that have soft sidewalls as you likely will detract from the handling.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
^^^ My thought, too. We've got the 18" balloon tires on ours and it's as smooth as can be expected. Much smoother than our other two cars.
Same here. With 18's is definitely rides much smoother that my E90 3 series with only 16" tires, even with snow tires (go-flats). With the 17" snow tires on the Q5, it's even smoother. Still firm, but that's the price of solid handling.

I bet a ugly Lincoln MKX rides smoother.... aka Ford edge with a few more expensive parts tossed on it. But probably has about as much character and sharpness as a butter knife from Walmart.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

We tested both a few weeks ago. The Q5 was/is considerably more smooth than the X3. However, it comes at the slight expense of sloppier handling.

These both being standard models, not the high performance versions.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

my q5 with 20's and sport springs has a nicer ride then a friends x3.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

The roads in New England (MA) are rough. The Q5 has very good ride quality in this area.

I've heard lots of comments on the ride "quality" of the X3 and X5. Didn't Consumer Report give it a "not recommended" a number of years ago due to an overly-harsh ride??
Old 02-02-2016, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

We have some truly dreadful roads, badly damaged by quakes etc and the SQ5 handles it all with no problem. I think the ride is damn good.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Compared to my Q5 (on 20's)) my old 2010 X5M (also on 20's) felt like it was riding on wooden tires. I have driven a 2015 X3 as a loaner, it also felt wooden yet a little tippy at the same time. Could be a function of BMW's use of runflats. In any event, the Audi seems to have a much more refined ride in my view.

Quick Reply: Q5 Ride Quality?