Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 TDI with glow plug indicator flashing

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 05:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 TDI with glow plug indicator flashing

I'm at 4000 miles and the glow plug indicator started flashing while on the highway last weekend. Pulled over, stopped, started and no recurrence.

It just happened again, but this time I noticed a slight hesitation in power. Press pedal and RPM did not go over 2000. Went away away after restart.

Hooked up the VCDS and the code thrown was:

10061 - Fuel Pump
P3043 00 [101] - Mechanical Malfunction
Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 2
Mileage: 6009 km
Date: 2014.03.08
Time: 10:07:35

I'm taking it in tomorrow morning, but I was interested if anyone else has seen this.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Dealer verdict: Bad fuel. No part malfunction found.

Edit: So how can I tell what bad fuel is? I use a Racetrack and a 7-11 near my house. I thought those were premium diesels.

Last edited by amstrad; 03-20-2014 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

I'd keep a close watch on this. The newer VW TDIs have been plagued with HPFP* failures. Some folks have had multiple failures. These are very costly repairs.

*high pressure fuel pump
Old 03-20-2014, 10:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
I'd keep a close watch on this. The newer VW TDIs have been plagued with HPFP* failures. Some folks have had multiple failures. These are very costly repairs.

*high pressure fuel pump
bummer.

Covered by warranty?
Old 03-20-2014, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

In some cases, yes. It's a $10k repair...that's an extreme situation.

The dealers are attempting to blame it on the fuel or mis-fueling. Many owners didn't accept that and VWoA has been somewhat more responsive to stepping up and dealing with it lately.

This is primarily a 4 cyl engine problem. Not much on the V6 engines from what I hear.

There are thousands of posts on TDIClub concerning this: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=308323

I don't believe a cause has been identified. However, you can be sure there's more speculation on this topic than on the missing jetliner.

Many feel the substandard (diesel) fuel supply in the USA is the culprit.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah i've heard of it more on the 4 cylinder TDI's than the V6 TDI's.

Racetrack & 7/11 are not premium diesels btw. Try Shell, Mobile & BP or other name brand fuels.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by amstrad

Edit: So how can I tell what bad fuel is?
You can't without submitting each batch for testing.

The best thing I can suggest is purchase fuel from a source that sells a LOT of diesel fuel.

"Premium" diesel seemed to disappear when ULSD came on line back in 2007.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Update:

I'm at ~9000 miles and I've still been having intermittent occurrences of this. But this weekend I had a particularly noticeable loss of engine power while turning onto a main road and accelerating. The vehicle reverted to limp mode and the Check Engine light to come on.

Took it to the dealer and they decided to replace the fuel pump. They told me the CE light was due to lean mixture.

They also told me there is a TDI engine control software update. Anyone else know the details of this?
Old 08-12-2014, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by amstrad
Update:

I'm at ~9000 miles and I've still been having intermittent occurrences of this. But this weekend I had a particularly noticeable loss of engine power while turning onto a main road and accelerating. The vehicle reverted to limp mode and the Check Engine light to come on.

Took it to the dealer and they decided to replace the fuel pump. They told me the CE light was due to lean mixture.

They also told me there is a TDI engine control software update. Anyone else know the details of this?
My Q5 TDI is 10 months old and 11,600 miles.

I had a similar problem 2 weeks ago. Made a left turn from stop. Car accelerated, then puttered (lost power). Glow plug light was on and the car reported a start/stop system malfunction. I pulled (limped) over, turned the car off and restarted after a few seconds.

Took car to Audi last week. Dealer found a fault. This is from the Service Invoice:

PERFORMED GFF. RECEIVED FAULT P0087. FOUND TSB^2036668/2.
FOLLOWED INSTRUCTIONS IN TSB, PERFORMED APPLICABLE TESTS IN TEST PLAN. FOUND FAULT TO BE INTERMITTANT. IF CUSTOMER HAS FURTHER ISSUES WITH VEHICLE INFORM THEM TO DROP VEHICLE OFF SO FURTHER DIAG CAN BE PERFORMED ON THE N290 FUEL METERING VALVE.

UPDATE 23M6 CQ6 VINSP-1 RECALLS AND CAMPAIGNS PERFORMED.

No problem since. Will let you know if anything changes.

Last edited by DennisMitchell; 08-12-2014 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default similar here

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
My Q5 TDI is 10 months old and 11,600 miles.

I had a similar problem 2 weeks ago. Made a left turn from stop. Car accelerated, then puttered (lost power). Glow plug light was on and the car reported a start/stop system malfunction. I pulled (limped) over, turned the car off and restarted after a few seconds.

Took car to Audi last week. Dealer found a fault. This is from the Service Invoice:

PERFORMED GFF. RECEIVED FAULT P0087. FOUND TSB^2036668/2.
FOLLOWED INSTRUCTIONS IN TSB, PERFORMED APPLICABLE TESTS IN TEST PLAN. FOUND FAULT TO BE INTERMITTANT. IF CUSTOMER HAS FURTHER ISSUES WITH VEHICLE INFORM THEM TO DROP VEHICLE OFF SO FURTHER DIAG CAN BE PERFORMED ON THE N290 FUEL METERING VALVE.

UPDATE 23M6 CQ6 VINSP-1 RECALLS AND CAMPAIGNS PERFORMED.

No problem since. Will let you know if anything changes.
Had similar problem.
Tech message:

"Performed GFF scan and found 2 codes stored for low fuel pressure as well as DTC stored for P304300 fuel pump mechanical function. Performed generated test plan as outlined and there were no problems evident at this time. Searched for TSB's and found open TSB#2036866/1 present for vehicle. Removed rear seat for visual inspection and to confirm proper power and ground to the fuel sending unit. Parts have been ordered as per TSB."

Quick Reply: Q5 TDI with glow plug indicator flashing