Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 vs QX70/50

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 vs QX70/50

I am in a 07 M35 and love the car but like Audi too and I am trading out this year. Some things i miss with the M35 that make me want a SUV or maybe a A6 is

Performance to Gas mpg. Car is low 14 sec 0-60 6 sec car fun but v6 only gets 17.4 average. Will 2.0T satisfy me from the 3.5/3.7 power wise vs mpg, if it is slower I will be unhappy, I know 3.0 rocks but will gas mpg be any better? like 20s+ versus the price over a 2.0T

My technology is old. I know newer cars are better but wonder how is Audi different then new infiniti tech?

M35 doesn't have fold down back seat which I miss for many things. But on flip I love the M35 back seat I wonder if the Q5 is really good size with the slide feature, is it as narrow as A4? good for 2 adults? 3 kids?

I am going to lok at Q70,QX70,QX50 vs Q% and SQ5. I think if the back seat in Q5 is respecatble and I can get 21-22mpg combined mostly city with teh 3.0 or SQ5 it might be a no brainer.

The QX70 (FX) still has huge differance and good engine too and insides are always pimp but mpg and back seats I know suck. Not sure about performance.

Any feedback on the 2.0 vs 3.0 for mpg vs hp to a g or m series?

What about backseats on the Q5 compared to M or FX

What about performance which one drives better? faster?
Old 02-24-2015, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't get the 2.0t, you will hate it. Constantly downshifting and no good sound out of it. Other say tune it, but why do that when you can buy a 3.0t? No replacement for displacement.

The VQ motor is a torquey big bore motor so the 2.0t will not work for you. The 3.0t will be MUCH better suited to your needs. The Q5 with a 3.0t will either get similar mileage or slightly better around city. I'd say 17-19 city. There's always the TDI if you want better city mileage and keep the power (23-24 mpg city)

Audi tech is WAY better than infiniti's. I prefer BMW but audi is not bad. The back seat of the Q should be fine, the A6 will have an even better back seat.

combined mileage will be higher, 21 or so.

The other questions all sound like you need to test drive.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:31 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I came out of an FX45 which had served me very well. It was pretty quick and very comfortable in the front seats. I have a heavy right foot and only saw 17mpg. Rear seats and loading were pretty tight.

The SQ5 has a similar, sporty feel in the cabin but it is much, much more responsive to the gas pedal and steering. It's a bit smaller and lighter but has more room in the rear and for loading (e.g., 4 sets of golf clubs). Did I say it was much quicker? I'm seeing a little better gas mileage (18.4) but your mileage may vary, as I said, I have a heavy right foot.

My FX was very reliable - too soon to tell on the SQ5 but so far, so good.

Good luck with your choice.

Steve
Old 02-24-2015, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
Don't get the 2.0t, you will hate it. Constantly downshifting and no good sound out of it. Other say tune it, but why do that when you can buy a 3.0t? No replacement for displacement.

The VQ motor is a torquey big bore motor so the 2.0t will not work for you. The 3.0t will be MUCH better suited to your needs. The Q5 with a 3.0t will either get similar mileage or slightly better around city. I'd say 17-19 city. There's always the TDI if you want better city mileage and keep the power (23-24 mpg city)

Audi tech is WAY better than infiniti's. I prefer BMW but audi is not bad. The back seat of the Q should be fine, the A6 will have an even better back seat.

combined mileage will be higher, 21 or so.

The other questions all sound like you need to test drive.

I do not agree with you. I was driving three days Q5 2.0TFSI S tronic with new engine 185 kW (252 PS)
Excellent engine, and a lot cheaper than 3.0TFSI in EU
Of course I know that this engine is not yet available in the US (2.0 and 3.0 TFSI)
New engine in Q5 3.0TFSI 245 kW (333 PS) replaced the engine 200 kW (272 PS)

Last edited by spijun; 02-24-2015 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
Id also have to disagree with you. I dont have the downshifting you state. The 2.0 is great on fuel. It states 33 mpg on hwy, and i achieve around 30+. In city I get around 24. The 8 speed tranny is amazing, when i want power i shift it to S and I have plenty for passing or having fun.

I came from a G35 6MT and a Tiguan 6MT. I dont recall the mpg of the infiniti but it was bad. Really Bad. The Tiguan the best I got on the hwy was around 28. The Q is much better on fuel than both my previous rides. It doesnt sound anywhere a nice as an Infiniti, but nothing really does.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Q5
Id also have to disagree with you. I dont have the downshifting you state. The 2.0 is great on fuel. It states 33 mpg on hwy, and i achieve around 30+. In city I get around 24. The 8 speed tranny is amazing, when i want power i shift it to S and I have plenty for passing or having fun.

I came from a G35 6MT and a Tiguan 6MT. I dont recall the mpg of the infiniti but it was bad. Really Bad. The Tiguan the best I got on the hwy was around 28. The Q is much better on fuel than both my previous rides. It doesnt sound anywhere a nice as an Infiniti, but nothing really does.
I just had a Q3 with the 2.0T and it sounded like a sewing machine.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

I hate to counter the last 2 posts and confuse you even more, but i agree completely with Coolieman. I wanted, so very badly wanted, to do the grown up, responsible thing and get the 2.0T (TDI was not out yet). I test drove both the 2.0T and 3.0T, and kept telling myself I could deal with the 2.0T on a daily basis, ignoring the little voice that was growing ever louder. Until my wife (of all people) says "seriously? you're spending 45-50k on a car and settling for an engine you'll hate before it's broken in?"

She was absolutely right, of course. Almost 2 years and 30k miles later, it still makes my daily commute something to look forward to. And with a tune it'll be shorter than ever The 2.0T loaners I've had? I just grin and bear because I know they are going back to the dealer soon and I'm getting mine back. Sorry to be so blunt. Many love the engine, and specs-wise, it measures up, but for me, I feel like I have to thrash it to get anything out of it.

Mileage? My drive is ~50% rural, 30% suburbs, 20% stop & go and I'm always in the 21-24 range. The last highway trip at 75-80mph I was a bit over 26mpg for the whole tank. If it's crazy cold, like it has been the last couple weeks, and one of us is running errands and shorter trips, it might dip down to near 20, but I have never been below for a tank yet.

Regardless of what you read here, I strongly suggest you test drive both and see what you think. Good Luck!
Old 02-24-2015, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Big D *suspended*
I just had a Q3 with the 2.0T and it sounded like a sewing machine.
Q5 and Q3 different engines and exhaust pipes
Old 02-24-2015, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by BlackSVT
The 2.0T loaners I've had? I just grin and bear because I know they are going back to the dealer soon and I'm getting mine back. Sorry to be so blunt. Many love the engine, and specs-wise, it measures up, but for me, I feel like I have to thrash it to get anything out of it.
Meanwhile, the allroad loaner I had was perfectly fine when my TDI was in for its 15K. Not awesome, but "fine", which of course is all some people need. I tend to drive on the aggressive end of the spectrum and didn't have much in the way of issues getting around reasonably. Don't expect miracles but it was reasonably quick enough, as was the 2013 2.0T Q5 I test drove while awaiting the TDI launch.

Regardless of what you read here, I strongly suggest you test drive both and see what you think. Good Luck!
As always, the correct answer. No matter how much any one person loves/hates any given engine/vehicle/feature/whatever, if it's going to be your car that you have to drive, then the only opinion that matters is yours, so go find one and give it a go and see what you think.

Coming from a V6 and being concerned about performance specs the turbo I4 won't necessarily cut it, but until you try you'll never know. The TDI would be able to give more performance and better fuel economy than the 2.0T, but of course at a much higher cost (approximately the same as going 2.0T to 3.0T [EDIT- 3.0T to TDI upcharge is similar to 2.0T to 3.0T, I mean], then there's any differences in fuel availability and maintenance costs to consider vs. petrol engines). An A6 vs. a Q5 would be a little bigger and should give a little better performance and better fuel economy given the same configuration (but you're going from the lower-tier to mid-tier and can have access to other features the Q5 doesn't have, if any of that is valuable to you).

Last edited by idale; 02-25-2015 at 05:55 AM.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

To all great feedback. I agree I need to drive them and I didn't read anything that stood out as oh knows going to the Q5 from the M. Glad to hear several came from the infiniti to the Audi and love it. So for those that know: Is the Q5 rear bigger or better then the FX? Same or much smaller then the A6?

It is clear get the 3.0T, probably not TDI for me. But for the SQ5 owner is the MPG much worse then the 3.0T stock? 18.4 seems low (short of beating it up) do you see 20s. I drive about about 60/40 city traffic (lights stop n go below 60 roads)

Space wise have to see the A6 vs Q5 but I so like the style of the q5 as well and the trunk is plus for bike etc. And it seems there are a ton of cool mods to pimp it out, exhaust, spoilers kits grills that look awesome. less so for the A6. But I saw a mention of the A6 being mid vs Q5 low tier. For a Plus or Prestige Q5 vs A6 is the inside much different other then size and pop up screen? Switch gear wood trim etc similar? The infiniti does a good job across the line keeping the hi end feel across the sizes, minus the wood of the M35.

What about the inside of the SQ5 vs the sline of the 3.0T other then seats are they similar? I think the s line still gets a d bottom wheel just not as think as the SQ5? I know the sline A6 does.

Quick Reply: Q5 vs QX70/50