Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Quattro and tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quattro and tires

I live in Southern California so drive with summer tires on my 2013 Q5 all year long. However as fall is approaching (even thought it's actually 100f today), I'll start heading up to the mountains at weekends - Mammoth, Big Bear etc.

Last year my Q5 was faultless in the snow and icy conditions, running on stock 18s and the standard Michelin tires. This year, I upgraded to some 20s running on Hankook V12 Ventus tires, which are very much a performance summer tire.

My question, and pardon my lack of knowledge.

How much difference do the tires play in the Quattro system's involvement? They're brand new tires with 80% tread remaining. People have given the V12 Ventus bad reviews in the snow but these tend to be from folks in RWD BMWs or FWD Civics.

Should I pop the 18s back on for a couple of months (and look ugly)?
Old 09-16-2014, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wilshireblvd
Should I pop the 18s back on for a couple of months (and look ugly)?
Your Q5 will look even uglier when it crashes and is all bent up.

Absolutely DO NOT use summer tires in winter conditions. FWD/RWD/AWD has nothing to do with it. Summer tires just don't have much grip when it's cold, and have no sipes to provide snow grip. AWD may help you get going, but it does nothing to help you steer or stop.

Since you're only using those 18s for winter now, then put some proper winter tires on them. You'll be amazed how well your Q5 will handle the white stuff. Night and day better than all-seasons.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 585 Likes on 490 Posts
Default +1 (as a NorCal'er): accident waiting to happen w/ summers in mountain winter

And, never mind that it would be illegal in a chain up situation. If you still got past or around chain control and had the accident, a likely ticket and fault indicator. Even a lot of A/S's are marginal in snow; summers are a non starter, plus turn rock hard w/ cold and so are sub par even for cold dry traction.

Frankly, most Tahoe accidents I see involve SUV's and lack of experience and/or decent tires, many seemingly new driven up by the "flatlanders" as they are referred to by the locals.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here in Northern California, where you can access the Sierra versus Highway 50 (south lake) or 80 (north lake), if it is snowing hard enough the CHP will check your rig and tires. If you were running summer tires you'd be turned right around and sent back west. Not sure about Mammoth or Big Bear, but running summer tires up there seems highly problematic. Swallow your pride and be safe!
Old 09-16-2014, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

once the temp goes below 45f, those summers are useless.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
Aw...that means I won't be able to drive my SQ for about 3 or 4 days this winter.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
I wouldn't say they're useless. It's not like 45F is some magical number above which all is great and below which all of a sudden there's no traction. It's a gradual change in rubber characteristics. You might start to notice slightly less grip in the low 40s, but it's still quite OK. Granted, the colder it gets, the worse the traction.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
I wouldn't say they're useless. It's not like 45F is some magical number above which all is great and below which all of a sudden there's no traction. It's a gradual change in rubber characteristics. You might start to notice slightly less grip in the low 40s, but it's still quite OK. Granted, the colder it gets, the worse the traction.
True but guru sp recently posted a graph showing traction for summer tires falls off VERY quickly at 45 and below.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Can you post a link to that graph/thread?

Thanks.

From personal experience, I've driven on summer tires in the 30s, and there was no drama, but only if the pavement was dry.

Last edited by ex-quattro PETE; 09-17-2014 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
Can you post a link to that graph/thread?

Thanks.

From personal experience, I've driven on summer tires in the 30s, and there was no drama, but only if the pavement was dry.

or:
Winter Tires Guide - 1010Tires
or
Continental Tyres -Why winter tyres?
or
audiwinter.ca
or
Tire Deals in Orangeville @ Hallmark Toyota

Last edited by spijun; 09-17-2014 at 12:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Quattro and tires