Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Question about rubbing noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 2013 Q5 with 10 000 KM and I also have a noise issue since 3 months coming from driver back wheel; not sure if its the same noise as yours : it sounds like if the caliper or disc is rubbing at every wheel rotation mostly at low speed when turning.

Took it 2 times to the dealer, first time they just cleaned the brakes and said this is a normal sound (yeah right!); second time they grinded/resurfaced the edge of the back rotors to remove surface rust on the edge. Didn't help since it still doing the noise.

Let me know if they find out the issue as it may be related to mine... BTW i'm from Montreal too!
Old 07-12-2014, 05:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by liquor123
I have 2013 Q5 with 10 000 KM and I also have a noise issue since 3 months coming from driver back wheel; not sure if its the same noise as yours : it sounds like if the caliper or disc is rubbing at every wheel rotation mostly at low speed when turning.

Took it 2 times to the dealer, first time they just cleaned the brakes and said this is a normal sound (yeah right!); second time they grinded/resurfaced the edge of the back rotors to remove surface rust on the edge. Didn't help since it still doing the noise.

Let me know if they find out the issue as it may be related to mine... BTW i'm from Montreal too!
Hey, Liquor123.
you said the noise comes from driver back wheel especially at low speed when turning. Was that noise loud or not ? i guess the issue could be one of the bearings doesn't look very good. The two services they gave you i don't really think they've brought something essential...clean,wash,remove surface rust...etc, i mean those are simple steps...UNTIL now you still have noise so i would consider about wheel bearings. Try this way, close the window completely then make several turns to hear if there is some noise keeps going.
BTW, which dealership did you roll into ?
Old 07-12-2014, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 225 Likes on 189 Posts
Default Electronic Parking Brake not fully retracting....

Originally Posted by David&Niki
Hello everyone, i'm a newbie here in this forum but i got question to ask Q5 owner... first say thank you to everyone who would give me any advice.
I bought a brand-new 2014 Q5 2.0T in May at Park avenue Audi Montreal. Now it has been driven about 4000km, so far so good. However i've heard about three times in two months some kind of rubbing noise came from the rear tire, driver side. It's kind of weird the first time and second time it goes off after 5 minutes of driving. The third time happened which was tonight and it did not go off that quick. I could still hear it's something rubbing against the disc and the brake, i would say mostly metal rubbing. It's not loud but keeps making friction noise.
Does anyone have this kind of issue ?
Appreciated for any kind of advice.
Just a guess......

Good luck!
Old 07-12-2014, 06:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
Just a guess......

Good luck!
tks, Bob. however, how would i notice that EMPB(electoral mechanical parking break) is not off completely?
i'm mean there is no indicator light or nothing at all...
Old 07-13-2014, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, Liquor123.
you said the noise comes from driver back wheel especially at low speed when turning. Was that noise loud or not ? i guess the issue could be one of the bearings doesn't look very good. The two services they gave you i don't really think they've brought something essential...clean,wash,remove surface rust...etc, i mean those are simple steps...UNTIL now you still have noise so i would consider about wheel bearings. Try this way, close the window completely then make several turns to hear if there is some noise keeps going.
BTW, which dealership did you roll into ?
The sound is loud enough I can ear it even when windows closed if I pay attention! Will mention the bearing on my next visit...

I already had a shot bearing on my Celica back in the days and the sound is similar except it's not rubbing continuously on the Q5 (just at one point in the wheel rotation)

My dealer is Popular Audi since It's a 5 min walk from where I live
Old 07-13-2014, 01:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by liquor123
The sound is loud enough I can ear it even when windows closed if I pay attention! Will mention the bearing on my next visit...

I already had a shot bearing on my Celica back in the days and the sound is similar except it's not rubbing continuously on the Q5 (just at one point in the wheel rotation)

My dealer is Popular Audi since It's a 5 min walk from where I live
YEP, try to check those bearings. however i don't really believe Q5 would have bearing issue at 10000km...personally,
But our road condition it is harmful for bearings.
Good luck, keep me posted.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's just a problem suggestion

tks, Bob. however, how would i notice that EMPB(electoral mechanical parking break) is not off completely?
i'm mean there is no indicator light or nothing at all...
if the EPB motor doesn't release completely each time then you could have some pad to disc rubbing. One way to prove this if you always park on level ground is not to use the EPB at all for a while. If the noise goes away for a few days, then start using the EPB and if it comes back then time to look at the EPB.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

if the EPB motor doesn't release completely each time then you could have some pad to disc rubbing. One way to prove this if you always park on level ground is not to use the EPB at all for a while. If the noise goes away for a few days, then start using the EPB and if it comes back then time to look at the EPB.

tks Bob, i do park on the level ground everyday. I do use the EPB everyday. From my knowledge i notice if you don't use parking break very often then don't use it, however if you use it everyday then keep using it everyday. i don't why but it's in my head...
Old 07-14-2014, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

tks Bob, i do park on the level ground everyday. I do use the EPB everyday. From my knowledge i notice if you don't use parking break very often then don't use it, however if you use it everyday then keep using it everyday. i don't why but it's in my head...
I wasn't saying to never use the EPB. Just run a test for a few days without the EPB, if the noise goes away and then comes back after resuming the EPB then the EPB is suspect for the noise.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I wasn't saying to never use the EPB. Just run a test for a few days without the EPB, if the noise goes away and then comes back after resuming the EPB then the EPB is suspect for the noise.
tks, Bob. appreciated,
BTW, do you have any idea about bad habits on EPB? i mean more or less there should be something bad for this particular part, i assuming...
tks, keep me posted.