Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Rear facing convertible car seat

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have the Recaro ProRide, and love it. I'm 6'1, and the wife is 5'9. I don't remember any issues when it was rear-facing, although I think we may have put it in the middle.

It looks like you could accomplish the same angle-change with a towel versus the foam pad.

We kept our daughter rear facing for 13 months or so. I think a number of variables come into play, including how much time they spend in the vehicle, and the likelihood of them getting in a serious car accident. For us, it came down to our daughter vastly preferring to be front-facing for social interaction. We tried mirrors, everything, but she was 1000x happier once we turned her front facing.

Obviously, you can't control for a drunk driver crossing the median and hitting you head on on the freeway. But outside that, I think defensive driving, and a good vehicle can really put the odds in your favor with regards to serious accidents.

Lastly, I've written this before, but don't cheap out on the convertible seat. We have a Graco in my BMW, and everyone HATES it compared to the Recaro. You'll be using the thing enough, the extra $$$ is well worth it just from a convenience and comfort perspective.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Saw this Recaro deal today and figured I'd pass along...

I haven't looked at it in detail as we're all set, but for others tracking this maybe they're interested:
http://www.babycheapskate.com/2013/0...-recaro-deals/
Old 12-03-2013, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Like most people on this thread have commented Britax Marathon is great.. It can fit in almost all kinds of cars. Apart from being the perfect size, it has got all kinds of great features like harness ultra guard system and base with safe cell.
Britax Boulevard is exactly the same size has Marathon so that should fit too...but it just costs more than Marathon.
I would also like to recommend Recaro ProRide.. its got a tall shell.. but is a lot slimmer than Marathon.... Radian too has got almost the same height as ProRide.. its just a little bigger depth wise..
But since there are pictures showing it fit in .. then I guess it must! You must get the angle adjuster for it.

These are the links to the official sites of the recommended seats:
http://www.britaxusa.com/car-seats/marathon-70-g3
http://www.britaxusa.com/car-seats/boulevard-70-g3
http://us.diono.com/convertible-to-booster/radianrxt

Here is a search result for a few other convertible seats based on size:
http://www.carseatvs.com/dofind?styl...t=300&dir=size
Old 10-03-2015, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For those looking for info on how much front-to-back space various convertible seats take up, check out this page:
The Ultimate Rear-Facing Convertible Carseat Space Comparison ? Size Matters!

We currently have an infant carrier (Britax B-Safe), and shopping around for a convertible seat that will not only fit in the Q5 but also in my 530i which has even less back seat space than the Q5. So far we've liked the Chicco NextFit, but also want to check out Britax Boulevard ClickTight and Maxi Cosi Pria 85. When installed in rear-facing position, the NextFit takes up less front-to-back space than the B-Safe, but not by much. I'm fairly short (5'7"), so it'll work, but for someone much taller, it may not.

Last edited by ex-quattro PETE; 10-03-2015 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Mark P
I'm 6'3" and my wife is 5'8". We have a pair of Diono R120 seats:
Amazon.com: Diono Radian R120 Convertible Car Seat Plus Booster, Shadow: Baby

As you can see, they are quite long (comfortable for many years of growth). Diono sells a pad that raises the front edge giving you a few more inches of room:

In my A3, I have to put her seat in the center position, and it just barely touches both front seats. My seat is set comfortable for my height, "properly", and the passenger to match.

In my wife's Tiguan, we have her seat behind the driver's seat. It fits there with still space leftover with me (or her) driving, again with the seat comfortable/proper for ourselves.

If the Tiguan has that space, I assume the Q5 will be at least equal if not more. Of course, part of it also involves the angle of the rear seat bottom and how far rearward the entire seat fits against the rear seat back.

I assume that most every other seat has more room than ours since ours is so long. However after adding the angle adjuster pad, maybe it's not as extreme anymore. Certainly the Marathon has to be shorter as is obvious by it's overall shape (wider too).

In addition to asking for real world recommendations here, also obviously head down to the local baby store and look at them on the shelf - line up the edge that would hit the rear seat back, and see which ones stick out the least in the opposite direction - just make sure that you're comparing them with their normal attachments and not some floor demo holder thingy.

Good luck!
Mark, we are also have 2 Diono RXT seats for a Q7 and A6. What did you use for an anchor point for the tether when in the rear-facing mode? Diono suggests utilizing the front seats "track" as it's bolted to the frame but Audi vehicles tracks don't have a gap underneath to properly secure the tether? Any suggestions or did you just not secure the tether? I just want to maximize the safety level of the seat and it seems like skipping this step significantly reduces its potential.

Thanks
Mike