Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Scott Keogh's email (Prez of Audi USA)

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrclopec
I agree. The DEF equipped Passat being included in the recall is the wild card here. It's the one piece of inconsistency that casts doubt on our DEF equipped 3.0 engines. If VW had 10 meetings with the EPA and CARB and then finally admitted to the softwares existence, then from that point forward hiding additional cars would not have been in their best interest. Look at how long the investigation took place, when the EPA found out, and when they finally notified the public. There are large gaps. That's because making a statement without having information to back it up, even if VW admitted it verbally, could put them (the EPA) into a serious legal battle. I have a feeling they already have an answer from VW as to wether our 3.0 engines are clear or not. At this point it's just a matter of making sure they (the EPA) have a clear path through the red tape before they disclose it publicly and also what VW's official fix is going to be for the already disclosed affected models.
The DEF equipped Passat is NOT included in the recall. VW removed the DEF from the model year 12 and newer cars, hence the 09-11 Passats are not in the list. They tried to save a few bucks and it bit them in the ***.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts
Default Wall of Shame

Glad to see this was called out into its own thread. Like a variety of others, my reaction to this letter was quite negative. I don't even own any flavor of TDI, but found the approach poorly thought out.

Here's a copy from what I posted yesterday about it in an overlapping thread here:
Received the same email. I already wrote back and said I was really shocked by it. Insults my intelligence. It essentially leads off by saying they were ordered by EPA and CARB to recall a limited number of cars. Huh, what about the CEO of VW already having been blown out on his ear, top worldwide technical people getting axed and more to come, intentional conduct, criminal investigations, stop sale orders in multiple countries, Sergeant Schultz pathetic "I know/did nothing" personally rejoinders, billions of dollars likely flushed, lawsuits galore, reputational damage big time, etc.?

Felt like the Audi 5000 duck and weave all over again--and I was an owner back to then and that model. Fortunately I owned stick (one of the few U.S. five speed 5000s) then, and not a 2.0TDI now. They need a new PR braintrust at AoA if that is any example of things to come--let alone maybe the CEO and the substance side of things.

Straight communications starts from the top. Like the VW corporate top level figured out in just a few days, he should have started off with "we screwed up and unfortunately misled our customers." Instead the guy leads by trying to minimize it and lay off the driver on the government agency actors, only getting to some measured culpability references deeper in. That is not leadership by me.
I received a follow up call today from AoA. At least they did do that. Unfortunately it was from a lower line level person who had the thankless job of dealing with some of the mess. I tried to be very clear this is a senior level issue, for which they should be accountable and not try to deflect blame or minimize the issue.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 10-01-2015 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by hilld
The DEF equipped Passat is NOT included in the recall. VW removed the DEF from the model year 12 and newer cars, hence the 09-11 Passats are not in the list. They tried to save a few bucks and it bit them in the ***.
We have a 2013 Passat, it has the DEF and it is on the list.

Last edited by tomaszp72; 10-01-2015 at 09:26 AM.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tomaszp72
We have a 2013 Passat, it has the DEF and it is on the list.
I guess my information is incorrect then. I stand corrected.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hilld
I guess my information is incorrect then. I stand corrected.
As had been said, the 2012+ Passat does have DEF (as does the 2015+ Golf which is also included), however the 2012 was also the start of the US-specific "Passat" model, and I seem to recall that 2005-2011 the "B6"/"B7" Passats (bad designation IMO since they switched to using the Golf's basic platform instead of the A4's) didn't have a TDI option here, or at least from closer to 2009 when the current emissions standards took full effect.

With the 2012 being specifically designed for the US market, they were able to design it for EPA emissions vs. European emissions and trying to rework for EPA as necessary (or not release here), so they were able to make sure to design in the DEF system and whatever else it uses as opposed to not having room to add it for US-destined vehicles.

Being an all-new, US-specific model that uses DEF, it's especially odd seeing the Passat listed. Something like the Golf could've had the algorithms included from being carried forward from the Mk6 whether they were actually necessary or even being actively used, but the US Passat's odder as it's a unique model (though engine software could still potentially have been "inherited" to a certain extent). It'll be interesting to see what the end result is.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They're communicating with customers. If they didn't, we'd be complaining about that. Does anyone really expect AoA to implicate themselves in writing to customers? That's not how it works. While I don't have a tdi, I feel this is a tiny blip for VAG.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Yes, I do expect them to be more forthright and honest. Their ultimate parent CEO already admitted they completely screwed up and their other admissions are already a done deal. Empty apologies that can't get a grip on the reality of the situation insult customers' intelligence. The US CEO is essentially backsliding and obfuscating on what the parent has already admitted. In other news, apparently they are moving toward a Congressional hearing, so he may soon be introduced to a new forum of communication.

Way more than a blip if you read the press in almost any market or from any perspective--car, industry, financial, etc. Read current news where the Board is starting to look at how to raise more capital to weather the storm, including potentially selling brands. Their unfortunate best protection in Germany comes down to "too big to fail." That's a hard fall and a pretty unfortunate association.

See this article for some related info, this from a leading US auto industry news source: VW?s Reputation Takes Big Hit from Scandal, Finances Likely to Follow | TheDetroitBureau.com And: VW Diesel Emissions Cheating Scandal Heading to Congress | TheDetroitBureau.com

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 10-02-2015 at 07:43 AM.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hitchens97
I specifically asked them to the email they gave to categorically confirm the Q5 has no cheat device. We will see if they answer
This is the email I got back. Why they need this information is beyond me. I guess I could somehow have the imported Q5 TDI with the 2.0 engine, I suppose.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for contacting Audi of America in regard to Emission Investigation. I would be happy to research this on your behalf.

In order to assist you further, please respond with the following information:

· Your mailing address

· Your phone number

· Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)

· Approximate mileage

I look forward to hearing back from you. In the meantime, if you would like to contact me directly, please do so by calling +1 800 822 2834, ext.43097. We are available to assist you 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Best regards,

Nicole N.
Audi Digital and Social Media Advocate, Audi CXC.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Tom Kenney
I feel this is a tiny blip for VAG.
This might suggest otherwise:>

Volkswagen emissions scandal could cost $86 billion, report says - CNET
Old 10-03-2015, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
The US CEO is essentially backsliding and obfuscating on what the parent has already admitted. In other news, apparently they are moving toward a Congressional hearing, so he may soon be introduced to a new forum of communication.
This is why I'm stunned that VW have left him in place. He's going to be dealing with government regulators and congress for the next few years. How can he go to them with any credibility?

Quick Reply: Scott Keogh's email (Prez of Audi USA)