Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Security with Advanced key

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security with Advanced key

So I am new to Audi and new to Advanced key. Technology these days really enhanced the quality of our lives. I like the feature of the key and the door sensor to open and close the doors without taking the key out. However, I started to feel worry because each time I close the door I want to make sure they are locked. I know when I hear the beep sound that's means locked, but I just want to physically touch it to make sure they are really locked. I tested by putting my key 5 frets away from the car because if I carry the key with me then I can open the doors by the sensor. I am also worry that people can hide around the car and when I locked the car and walk away, they can open my car door as long as I'm not 5 feels away. Is this true and how to securely lock my car without worry?
Old 08-22-2015, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

When you hear the beep, the doors and trunk are locked. No need to check it again with the fob. The door sensor will not unlock once you are a few feet from the car. I seriously doubt someone will be hiding on the other side of the car to pull on the handle as you walk away. The timing would have to be perfect before you walked 3 feet away and you would hear the doors unlock that close anyway. I've never, ever read a post where this happened to someone.
Don't worry, be happy.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snagitseven
When you hear the beep, the doors and trunk are locked. No need to check it again with the fob. The door sensor will not unlock once you are a few feet from the car. I seriously doubt someone will be hiding on the other side of the car to pull on the handle as you walk away. The timing would have to be perfect before you walked 3 feet away and you would hear the doors unlock that close anyway. I've never, ever read a post where this happened to someone.
Don't worry, be happy.
I agree. Good advice. After an adjustment period with the car you won't even think about it.

On my 2013 there is a red LED light on top of the drivers side door trim that flashes periodically when the car is locked. You could hang around and verify that it is flashing if you absolutely have to confirm that it's locked.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
I agree. Good advice. After an adjustment period with the car you won't even think about it.

On my 2013 there is a red LED light on top of the drivers side door trim that flashes periodically when the car is locked. You could hang around and verify that it is flashing if you absolutely have to confirm that it's locked.
Yup on the light. Or hire a guy to watch your car.
Old 08-22-2015, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Thank you

Don't worry, be happy.
Thank you for the explanation
Old 08-22-2015, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't worry, be happy.
and the fuel door too!
Old 08-22-2015, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 225 Likes on 189 Posts
Default Bad guys unlock an Advanced Key car with ease....

Originally Posted by Dwade
So I am new to Audi and new to Advanced key. Technology these days really enhanced the quality of our lives. I like the feature of the key and the door sensor to open and close the doors without taking the key out. However, I started to feel worry because each time I close the door I want to make sure they are locked. I know when I hear the beep sound that's means locked, but I just want to physically touch it to make sure they are really locked. I tested by putting my key 5 frets away from the car because if I carry the key with me then I can open the doors by the sensor. I am also worry that people can hide around the car and when I locked the car and walk away, they can open my car door as long as I'm not 5 feels away. Is this true and how to securely lock my car without worry?
The underground black box is available for about $20..........

Watch this..........

Thief Steals $15,000 Bike in Sausalito With Tap of Hand: Police | NBC Bay Area

All you Audi owners "without" the Advanced Key need not to worry!
Old 08-23-2015, 06:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yea...but that is what insurance is for. Everyone needs to take a deep breath and remember that its just stuff.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
The underground black box is available for about $20..........

Watch this..........

Thief Steals $15,000 Bike in Sausalito With Tap of Hand: Police | NBC Bay Area

All you Audi owners "without" the Advanced Key need not to worry!
Stole from an Audi and drives a VW Golf.. what a coincidence!!!
Old 08-23-2015, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tneconni
Yea...but that is what insurance is for. Everyone needs to take a deep breath and remember that its just stuff.
Yup, risk is out there everywhere, every day.

Quick Reply: Security with Advanced key