Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Security with Advanced key

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 11:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might try activating the folding mirrors as a visual confirmation.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by thetruewheeler
You might try activating the folding mirrors as a visual confirmation.
Depending on year, trim or option package (the OP doesn't tell us what he has). Not all have power folding mirrors.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Depending on year, trim or option package (the OP doesn't tell us what he has). Not all have power folding mirrors.
And if you have the power folding mirrors, you have to select "fold on locking" in the MMI Car Menu.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
And if you have the power folding mirrors, you have to select "fold on locking" in the MMI Car Menu.
And you have to be looking at the car to ensure they folded when touched the door handle lock button. And watch the headlights to be sure they flashed. And listen for the beep. And check that there isn't some guy crouching down the other side of your car just waiting to unlock the doors before you walk 5 feet away. And hope your last installment made it in time to the insurance company. All of that.
Then go enjoy your dinner.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

I also have the chirp turned off, I think it is GROSSLY RUDE for cars to make noises when people might be sleeping nearby. When the lights blink, I know it is locked. If I'm not looking at the lights, I can look at the mirrors, easy enough.

Chirps? Not needed unless you're blind and can't see the rest. (What, no one else has ever seen blind drivers?)

As for someone lurking near the car, that's called "carjacking". It became popular after security systems got good. Don't worry about the other side of your car, someone will be running up behind you with a gun or a knife and telling you "Mother****er GET OUT THE CAR GET OUT NOW" and then they will take it away. I know some folks who were carjacked around 1980, a man came up to their car at a crosswalk at a red light, lunched his fist through the side window (it is really weak), and grabbed the man by the throat. "GET OUT THE CAR MOTHER****ER".

If you are concerned with that, you buy an aftermarket alarm system that has carjack protection in it. There are various systems and options, most will trigger the carjack function if the driver's door is opened while the engine is running. There's no obvious alarm, but in a minute or two, the engine will shut down and the car will lock, optionally a radio alarm call already being sent out.

Audi says the keyless entry is "advanced" and suggests asking your dealer if there is any way to disable the keyless entry part of it.

You also can set the remote to JUST open the driver's door, not all at once.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

After you lock the vehicle with the sensor, you are allowed a quick second to pull the handle to confirm the door is locked. I really mean a second, be quick!
Old 08-26-2015, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Open carry law"...enough said.....
Old 08-26-2015, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

You can protect the car easily enough by epoxying a Claymore onto each door, but that tends to get all sorts of people like the Audi service techs upset when they see your car.

I never met a Claymore that went off without a GOOD reason and a POSITIVE confirmation, don't know why those folks get so worried...
Old 08-26-2015, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I thought I had car ocd, but some people overthink everything!
Old 08-26-2015, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

I set up the beep on locking. It is so very quiet on the SQ5 and will disturb nobody. Combined with the lights and folding mirrors it is more than enough to know the car is locked. I also do not take my cars to 'risky' areas, preferring a taxi if I absolutely must go. If a car of mine does get stolen then as long as I have insurance I don't really care that much. Just as long as I am not in it when it gets stolen!

Quick Reply: Security with Advanced key