Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Shock & Horror, damage to my dash

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by melland
You might want to try one of the iOttie vent clips in the future. I picked up the magnetic version after hearing all the praise and awesome reviews here in the forums. It's a great way to have a spot for your phone without any potential damage to the car.

iOttie iOttie iTap Magnetic Air Vent Mount for iPhone 6/6 Plus/5s/5c, Galaxy Note 4/3, Galaxy S6/ S6 Edge/5/4

Fingers crossed your spot is just an indention and disappears!

I have the same one by Insignia for my iPhone 6 and it works great! Its just a thin magnet you stick to the back of your iphone case, it is a very strong magnet and can hold a tablet.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

I love vent clips. They're the ideal solution to an overheating phone. They keep it at a nice cool 55F and allow full screen brightness while keeping that pesky cold air off me.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same thing happened to my Audi A6 dash. The ring has two annoying aspects: dark discoloration and an indentation. I am 3 days in so far from my discovery after using the dash mount for many months. On Tue. (day 1) I tried solvents similar to yours to no avail. I phoned Audi and the service tech suggested leaving the car out in the sun, that heat should help. Yesterday I did that and noised the indentation had slightly improved, but the darker circle was still there. Today I found an online suggestion to use creamy peanut butter. Oh well, nothing ventured... So I rubbed some Teddy All Natural inside, onto, and outside the ring. I wiped it off with paper towel and noticed a significant improvement. So I repeated, and saw more improvement. (BTW, the dash was hot from being in the sun when I did this.) There were some paper towel crumbles on the dash, so I sacrificed a t-shirt as a rag, and finished up with some of my son's Blue Magic Leather and Vinyl Cleaner ( a couple of applications) and Blue Magic Leather Cream Conditioner, both of which I applied to a wide area including the circle. The result is that the circle is nearly inconspicuous. The indentation is still there, but the discoloration is hardly noticeable. This is only Day 3, so I will keep my car in the sun as much as possible, and hope that the indentation eventually evens out. And I will repeat PB and Blue Magic treatments later if needed. Hope this helps!
Old 04-29-2016, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Peanut butter, or mayonnaise, is no miracle product. It is basically a paste of OIL, and you can apply your choice of vegetable or mineral oil with some rags or toweling to keep it in place, unless you're planning to make lunch on that dash.(G)

Your favorite vinyl rejuvinator (white ArmorAll classic or whatever) may help to remove whatever leeched into the dash, or was sucked out of it. You might want to let some soak on a paper towel or rag, and then cover with saran wrap or aluminum foil so it "bakes in" instead of drying out.
Old 10-22-2016, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have the same exact ring from an iOttie mount in virtually the same spot in my q5. Has the ring discoloration and indentation recovered? I'll be trying keeping it in the sun and applying some cleaner.
I really hope I can fix this as it's the only thing I see.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by relik
I have the same exact ring from an iOttie mount in virtually the same spot in my q5. Has the ring discoloration and indentation recovered? I'll be trying keeping it in the sun and applying some cleaner.
I really hope I can fix this as it's the only thing I see.
What quality leather is used on these Audi's. I've also used these suction cup type mounts on other cars without ever seeing these types of problems. I'm so close to pulling the trigger on putting in an order for a 2017 Q5 but continuing seeing these types of posts which I would not expect for a vehicle costing this much money.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by auntrout
What quality leather is used on these Audi's. I've also used these suction cup type mounts on other cars without ever seeing these types of problems. I'm so close to pulling the trigger on putting in an order for a 2017 Q5 but continuing seeing these types of posts which I would not expect for a vehicle costing this much money.
Would a potential issue like this be a deal breaker?
Old 10-22-2016, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
Would a potential issue like this be a deal breaker?
Not just this but I've seen post regarding brake pedal pressure issues, bad shifting on the auto tranny, burning excessive oil, the breaking visor clip, etc. As great as my test drive of the 2.0T and 3.0T were, we are talking about of a vehicles in excess of $45K. I would not expect so many problems, just saying.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by auntrout
Not just this but I've seen post regarding brake pedal pressure issues, bad shifting on the auto tranny, burning excessive oil, the breaking visor clip, etc. As great as my test drive of the 2.0T and 3.0T were, we are talking about of a vehicles in excess of $45K. I would not expect so many problems, just saying.
If you want to find problems with cars, come to an enthusiast forum. Same for any brand--Merc, BMW, American iron, Tesla, whatever. If you want to think everything is hunky dory with them, find some airy web site with pictures fiording streams, hauling athletic gear and lots of nice clothes with model looking people (who are models...), and on "closed course with professional driver" when you read fine print. Neither is the average world in which most live and drive.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
If you want to find problems with cars, come to an enthusiast forum. Same for any brand--Merc, BMW, American iron, Tesla, whatever. If you want to think everything is hunky dory with them, find some airy web site with pictures fiording streams, hauling athletic gear and lots of nice clothes with model looking people (who are models...), and on "closed course with professional driver" when you read fine print. Neither is the average world in which most live and drive.
Point taken.

Quick Reply: Shock & Horror, damage to my dash