Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Should I pull the trigger on 21" Atturo Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

There's a reason why these are so cheap...there is nothing net new in tire manufacturing which creates THAT much production efficacy to reduce costs whilst maintaining quality. Buying cheap tires which don't meeting the high-level of standard deviation of quality is just a poor choice. Reminds me of this article:
With Chinese tires, it's buyer beware - Business - Autos | NBC News
Old 12-04-2015, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The main reason these tyres are so cheap is because they don't have the outrageous profits that the better known brands have built in to them.

Any of you old enough to remember when that cheap Japanese brand Yokohama came on the market?
People said the same thing, that they were cheap therefore nasty.

I used to get 555 suspension parts dirt cheap before the world found out they were really good quality.

Falken was very cheap when it came on the market too. Still 'sounds' cheap to me.

I first heard about Atturo when Chrysler 300 and Charger owners were putting them on their cars in small SUV sizes.
They worked fine on those heavy cars and they were reporting decent wear..
Old 12-04-2015, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by koobah
That's my next set of tires. Guy that found them (post on AZ) took them to high speeds and has very positive impressions.
Gotta love how people make choices nowadays
Old 12-04-2015, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash635
The main reason these tyres are so cheap is because they don't have the outrageous profits that the better known brands have built in to them...
Where are your facts on this? Michelin's net profit for 2012 was 7% of total revenue...that's far from outrageous. The difference between high quality manufacturing is the degree of tolerance to the objective and it's deviation. When you have poorer raw material, less precise machinery, greater variation, etc...then the quality of the final product will suffer but will also allow the manufacturer to produce more of a product without the same degree of QA and in the case of tires, potential safety.

As you mentioned Yokohama and other used to be cheap, but as they matured as a business and the demands of the customer, they were forced to adopt more stringent controls.

As previously mentioned, a good set of tires is worth paying for and yes there is a certain amount you are paying for the name-brand, however that is also the promise that company and it's reputation to stand behind their product.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

ran these tires all summer, about 7000 miles. no complaints or issues.

they handled great in rain/spirited driving/road trips and they had less road noise then my old all season tires.

they are a great deal!
Old 12-04-2015, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash635
The main reason these tyres are so cheap is because they don't have the outrageous profits that the better known brands have built in to them.

It's the same with the Chinese SUV cars
Old 06-12-2017, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These tires seem to last about twice as many miles as the competitive tires from Conti, Michelin, and Pirelli, and the handling, braking and wet traction seem just as good as the others, if not better. What's not to like?
Old 11-24-2017, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

I don't understand the silly attacks on these tires by the misinformed. They are in fact SUPERIOR to the OEM tires.

The Dunlops that came on our SQ5 were down to the wear bars after 22k miles, and today I had my Atturos taken off for the winter. They have 34k miles on them and it looks like I'll get another season out of them next year.

The handling and grip are just as good as the Dunlops, they were quieter when they were new and remain quieter after 34k miles, and the ride quality is actually a bit better than the Dunlops.

No need to put something down simply because you are not familiar with it.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

Rolling a Q7 that's quite a bit heavier than your rig Skark115, but this is what newish Atturos look like after some wear. I had separating tread on all 4 inner shoulders of the tires, to their credit they did hold up over a roadtrip and didn't fully fail; most likely due to me always running higher pressures. However taking out one wheel if they were to let go foregoes any savings you could ever possibly expect out of a cheap set of tires. (I bought the rig earlier in the year from out of state. The dealer said he installed new tires, once I took delivery I choked on my water when I saw them! What kind of dealer throws cheap *** tires barely rated for weight and sends it off? Michael's Motor Cars in NJ does...)

Old 11-25-2017, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Built4Sin
Rolling a Q7 that's quite a bit heavier than your rig Skark115, but this is what newish Atturos look like after some wear. I had separating tread on all 4 inner shoulders of the tires, to their credit they did hold up over a roadtrip and didn't fully fail; most likely due to me always running higher pressures. However taking out one wheel if they were to let go foregoes any savings you could ever possibly expect out of a cheap set of tires. (I bought the rig earlier in the year from out of state. The dealer said he installed new tires, once I took delivery I choked on my water when I saw them! What kind of dealer throws cheap *** tires barely rated for weight and sends it off? Michael's Motor Cars in NJ does...)

What size are those and how many miles do they have on them? If you do a You Tube search on Atturo AZ850 you will see a bunch of owners who are very happy, and you are the first one I've heard of that has had a problem. Of course that does not help you. After 34k miles mine are wearing very evenly, and as I said I expect to get another season out of them.

Quick Reply: Should I pull the trigger on 21" Atturo Tires?