Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Should navigation database version change when navigation is updated

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 01:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spijun
When it comes to upgrading the first goes upgrade software and then a new maps.
All old settings - software and maps will be deleted

Say hello your dealer and tell him it is a liar and it is not made upgrade your navigation
I asked specifically about software update. They said "This is MMI software, we do not need to update it, this is not map related". Yes, I suspect that they need to update the MMI first, and the map update will not work without MMI software update. But would nice to see conformation for that. Did anyone successfully updated both and saw the new version?
Old 04-08-2015, 12:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by MxM111
I asked specifically about software update. They said "This is MMI software, we do not need to update it, this is not map related". Yes, I suspect that they need to update the MMI first, and the map update will not work without MMI software update. But would nice to see conformation for that. Did anyone successfully updated both and saw the new version?
You have too old navigation software and new maps can not work.
Software update takes 25-35 minutes, upgrade new maps from 1.30 to 2 hours.
On display MMI must get a new version of the software and the new version of maps
Good Luck
Old 04-08-2015, 09:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

You have too old navigation software and new maps can not work.
Software update takes 25-35 minutes, upgrade new maps from 1.30 to 2 hours.
On display MMI must get a new version of the software and the new version of maps
Good Luck
1) Do you know if "navigation software" and MMI software is the same thing?
2) Do I have to pay extra for MMI update
3) Does MMI or software update come on the same card, or should it be ordered by dealer separately?
Old 04-08-2015, 01:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry but bump. Can anyone say if MMI and navigation software is the same thing, and updating one or another is the same thing?
Old 04-08-2015, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry but bump. Can anyone say if MMI and navigation software is the same thing, and updating one or another is the same thing?
Here is another thread you may want to read. Spijun provided a lot of detail here also. The very last post in the thread is from me with a pic of another members version information. My Q5 has newer versions of MMI software and map database as it was slightly newer. From what has been said it appears that both software and database are tied in the same update. This belief is reinforced by reading the mmi wiki online which ties together versions of mmi software and database and indicates in both 'corrects spelling and punctuation in street names'. In your case it really appears that your dealer failed to successfully activate the update. I dont have 'my own eyes' experience on Audi MMI, but I 100% expect the version numbers to change once the system is successfully updated and successfully activated. Every other system I have updated including Toyota, Garmin, VW all showed updated versions after update.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...dates-2841994/

Here is the wiki... note that the wiki has not been updated with the 2015 versions of software and database which are what is on my Q5

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi_Media_Interface

Last edited by Don Keener; 04-08-2015 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Don Keener
They have to 'activate' the new maps for them to come active... Perhaps they failed to do that.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-.../#post24667668
An update:

The guys at the dealership investigated the problem, contacted field engineer (whatever it means), and here what they say:

1) They are confirming that the new database requires new navigation software which is part of MMI

2) They are saying that MMI is operating system that controls lots if car systems so it has to be old, otherwise the new operating system will not be able to control the car correctly

3) Because all of that, the navigation database version has to be old and it will not be updated.

4) However the new information somehow (I do not understand how) will still be uploaded into my navigation system.

5) This new information, though, is not necessarily the same as for the new navigation database, so some roads may be still not updated.

6) They have no way to demonstrate that the new information is indeed used by my car. Since I see all interchanges that are in my area are still not updated, they are saying that whatever information they updated still did not contain those interchanges, despite on the fact that it came with the SD card that contains the latest database, which I know for sure does contain the new interchanges, since my other car has it.

Does it make any sense?

At the end they were unable to update maps in such way that the maps would actually show the new interchanges and issued a refund. I may try different dealership in future. So far, even on these forums nobody confirmed seeing the update successfully performed and what happens with MMI software version and navigation database version in this case.

I am inclined to think that because nav software is part of MMI, there is simply no way to update the maps, because that would require new MMI software, which can not be loaded because the car is old and requires only particular version of MMI.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

An update:

The guys at the dealership investigated the problem, contacted field engineer (whatever it means), and here what they say:

1) They are confirming that the new database requires new navigation software which is part of MMI

2) They are saying that MMI is operating system that controls lots if car systems so it has to be old, otherwise the new operating system will not be able to control the car correctly

3) Because all of that, the navigation database version has to be old and it will not be updated.

4) However the new information somehow (I do not understand how) will still be uploaded into my navigation system.

5) This new information, though, is not necessarily the same as for the new navigation database, so some roads may be still not updated.

6) They have no way to demonstrate that the new information is indeed used by my car. Since I see all interchanges that are in my area are still not updated, they are saying that whatever information they updated still did not contain those interchanges, despite on the fact that it came with the SD card that contains the latest database, which I know for sure does contain the new interchanges, since my other car has it.

Does it make any sense?

At the end they were unable to update maps in such way that the maps would actually show the new interchanges and issued a refund. I may try different dealership in future. So far, even on these forums nobody confirmed seeing the update successfully performed and what happens with MMI software version and navigation database version in this case.

I am inclined to think that because nav software is part of MMI, there is simply no way to update the maps, because that would require new MMI software, which can not be loaded because the car is old and requires only particular version of MMI.
Sounds like a Crock of it to me....
Old 04-17-2015, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

An update:

Does it make any sense?

Incredibly collection of nonsense.

My advice, contact Audi US

Ask its experts and engineers what this is:
Of course I'm in Europe so I have all the firmware versions for MMI EU version

Last edited by spijun; 04-17-2015 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Incredibly collection of nonsense.

My advice, contact Audi US

Ask its experts and engineers what this is:
Of course I'm in Europe so I have all the firmware versions for MMI EU version

I did contact audi USA, but all they do they call the dealership (the same where I have problem) to ask the same question. They do not have independent technical expertise.

From what I understand from your screenshot, those are different MMI software versions from different years, but can any MMI software go on any car from any year? The reason I am asking is that the configurations for different years are different. The number of buttons are different. There must be some difference in hardware, display resolution, processor, memory etc... Did you see with your own eyes that MMI software was updated and its version was changed for 4+ year old car to the latest ones?
Old 04-17-2015, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Every hardware has its own version of the firmware
All new versions of maps require a new version of firmware
End explanation from me
Bye-bye

Quick Reply: Should navigation database version change when navigation is updated