Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Smells like gym socks when running A/C

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to give everyone an update, I did use the Klima Cleaner that Rob recommended.
Basically I pulled the front vents out using a tool with a hook on the end. That revealed an air diffuser that appeared to be built into the center console. As I didn't want to pull out the stereo, etc. I just drilled a tiny hold in the left (drivers) side of the diffuser to fit the hose for the Klima Cleaner. Emptied the entire bottle and ran the heater on high for 10 minutes.
Put everything back together and the problem is solved.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Brian
Old 07-22-2016, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Great suggestions if you already have the problem.
Some things that help to prevent the problem in the first place are to remove any debris right away before it finds its way in there, every last bit. And to turn off the A/C a few miles short of your destination if you can to dry things out. Sometimes it's just too hot for that one.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have tried many times to correct the same problem. Mine's not under warranty, so that's not a help. The smell is so bad and it keeps coming back after I try to get rid of it because it's so humid down here in Houston.

I will try Brian's remedy...if I can stand to work in the heat for a bit.

Thanks,
Jenn
Old 07-26-2016, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jennerwtx
I have tried many times to correct the same problem. Mine's not under warranty, so that's not a help. The smell is so bad and it keeps coming back after I try to get rid of it because it's so humid down here in Houston.

I will try Brian's remedy...if I can stand to work in the heat for a bit.

Thanks,
Jenn
I live in Houston also and have resorted to having recirc on most of the time. The air it brings in is so humid if left to pull air from the outside. I also spray Ozium into the passenger footwell to let the car pull it in. It works but I have to do it every month or so.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

The smell WILL keep coming back, as long as there is organic matter in the vent system. You can "nuke" it, and the smell will go away, but then as new mildew grows on the crud it will come back.

I'm not sure if the cabin vents allow crud to come past the cabin air filter, or if the air filter may be part of the problem. What many dealers use is a product that is like shaving cream. You stick a nozzle into the evaporator drain tube (from under the car) and shoot the foam up into the evaporator, where the crud usually accumulates. The foam breaks it down and allows it to run out the drain, in theory leaving a clean system. If your drain hose is clogged (from insects or mud?) that can also be part of the problem.

Ozium is great stuff--but since it doesn't clean out the crud, the smell will always come back.

Once you've got it cleaned out, it can help to switch from AC to "scorch" to keep the system dry before you shut down. I'll sometimes put the system on highest heat, defrost vents only, and let it cook a the last few minutes on the way home. Yes it is uncomfortable, but only for the few minutes, and I know the system will be drier in humid weather.

This is not just a climate problem--it is a design flaw. Some car makers use antimicrobial materials in the vent system, some don't. That's just the start of "invisible" differences.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
This is not just a climate problem--it is a design flaw. Some car makers use antimicrobial materials in the vent system, some don't. That's just the start of "invisible" differences.
And some car makers (Volvo, for example), run the fan for some time after you shut off the car to evaporate moisture from the system, so you don't have to switch AC off a few miles before you get to your destination and arrive sweaty.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just get a new car anytime my tires are worn or something starts smelling funny