Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 Ride?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All weathers are not considered summers. Summers are just that: tires for summer when temps are warmer and the tread works best. Having said that summers also work great in rain.

Winter tires have a soft tread that are super squishy and mushy in warmer temps.

All seasons are kind of a jack of all trades....but some a/s are very, very good year round. Correct psi, the good a/s and proper driving skills. Heck, proper driving skills is a big majority of all this no matter awd, 4x4, fwd, rear wheel drive, Flinstone mobile, etc.

I'd rather have a good all season on a rwd with common sense behind the wheel than summers on AWD and the mindset of invincibility. Every year on first snow we have 4x4 in the ditch and the local paper prints the pic, and locals always say "must be from (enter any sunshine state) thinking their new 4x4 can do no wrong." On a related note I stay off the roads first snow to let the morons sort themselves out.

Originally Posted by NealcpLA
So would "all weather" be considered not "summers"?...I drove in the snow with my RWD X1 which has, I believe, "all weather" tires and it wasn't a disaster except it was 6" of snow in the mountains with a RWD car...
Old 09-26-2015, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kreativecid
All weathers are not considered summers. Summers are just that: tires for summer when temps are warmer and the tread works best. Having said that summers also work great in rain.

Winter tires have a soft tread that are super squishy and mushy in warmer temps.

All seasons are kind of a jack of all trades....but some a/s are very, very good year round. Correct psi, the good a/s and proper driving skills. Heck, proper driving skills is a big majority of all this no matter awd, 4x4, fwd, rear wheel drive, Flinstone mobile, etc.

I'd rather have a good all season on a rwd with common sense behind the wheel than summers on AWD and the mindset of invincibility. Every year on first snow we have 4x4 in the ditch and the local paper prints the pic, and locals always say "must be from (enter any sunshine state) thinking their new 4x4 can do no wrong." On a related note I stay off the roads first snow to let the morons sort themselves out.
All true...I grew up in MN so drove in snow my whole life until about 13 years ago...I was doing better in the mountains (Lake Arrowhead) last year in that 6" of snow than a bunch of 4x4's driven by, I am sure, native LA drivers...good to confirm on the All Season. A "compromise" which'll be fine with me since I won't be tracking for certain...
Old 09-26-2015, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kreativecid

A bad snow tire is a far better tire to drive in winter conditions than the very best all season tire!
Don't take my word for it... Do some research at tirerack on the subject.
In my book an all season although better than a summer tire is no substitute for a real snow tire. If you object to the price of snow tires, think of it this way... What will be the cost of he first accident you have when you slide off the road?
Old 09-26-2015, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

I agree about a snow tire being the very best tire in snow; I drove on them throughout several MN winters before we moved away in 2003, but living the majority of my time in LA with only sometime excursions into the mountains (and then, not planning to venture up when snow is actually IN the forecast), seems like all-seasons might be a good compromise so I'm OK in snow and decent the rest of the time. I have decided I am going to buy the SQ5 and try and negotiate a "downgrade" to 20" wheels so I can then purchase all-season tires only...And at that, I suspect ride will be even a little less harsh still from the 21"s I came in here inquiring about... Thank you to everyone for detailed and succinct responses...very helpful... Pretty excited about this SQ5!
Old 09-26-2015, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

One final query...sorry. I am not seeing it anywhere on the sticker but assume the SQ5 has the "proximity key" keyless entry and engine start function?
Old 09-26-2015, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

One final query...sorry. I am not seeing it anywhere on the sticker but assume the SQ5 has the "proximity key" keyless entry and engine start function?
Yep, you're buying an S-model. They come with lots of goodies (that you pay for in the $15,000 premium over the regular Q5.)
Old 09-27-2015, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Sound?

Another question (sorry) on the SQ5; How loud is it? the exhaust sound? annoying at all? I had an APR aftermarket exhaust (stealth) on my 2007 A3 and while it wasn't too "drony", it still got a bit annoying...how is it on the SQ5? I'm a grown up (sort of) now and don't need to hear myself coming and going so much anymore...
Old 09-27-2015, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Another question (sorry) on the SQ5; How loud is it? the exhaust sound? annoying at all? I had an APR aftermarket exhaust (stealth) on my 2007 A3 and while it wasn't too "drony", it still got a bit annoying...how is it on the SQ5? I'm a grown up (sort of) now and don't need to hear myself coming and going so much anymore...
No, it is not "drony" at all... When the car is in "dynamic" mode you can hear a little more sound but it is more of a purr to growl kind of transition without any droning... If you think that the dynamic mode makes too much noise then you can create your own custom mode too...including exhaust sound. It is pretty slick!

I'd say it is time for a good long test drive...
Old 09-27-2015, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bruce B
No, it is not "drony" at all... When the car is in "dynamic" mode you can hear a little more sound but it is more of a purr to growl kind of transition without any droning... If you think that the dynamic mode makes too much noise then you can create your own custom mode too...including exhaust sound. It is pretty slick!

I'd say it is time for a good long test drive...
Wow...so you can put it in the different modes and that will impact the exhaust sounds? Can set it to be pretty quiet or "tame"? I am definitely taking a long test drive next week when I get back home...driving me crazy now since I have the (good) numbers on it and think I want it but, you're right, have not driven the SQ5, only the 3.0 Q5...
Old 09-27-2015, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you're concerned with ride quality and asking if exhaust can be set to quiet, the SQ5 most likely isn't the right fit for you.

Quick Reply: SQ5 Ride?