Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 Roof Rails - Thoughts on going black

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 02:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SQ5 Roof Rails - Thoughts on going black

Hey all - Got my Glacier White SQ5 a bit ago (bought it used and does not have the black optics pkg) First mod a day after delivery was to have the chrome window trim, roof rails and matte silver mirrors vinyl wrapped in gloss black. Well, the installer did a less than admirable job for almost $700. The roof rails have large areas where it doesn't adhere to the shape of the rail and the mirror wrap ripped off one of the mirrors about 5 days after install. This is my second go around with vinyl wrap and both jobs have turned out disappointing.

Anyone have any ideas on other routes for the roof rails? I imagine the mirrors can be painted since they are matte but the chrome roof rails I would imagine would be nearly impossible to paint?
Old 04-18-2015, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wrapping is about your only option I would think. I guess you could try to have them professionally painted.

You know what they say...
Old 04-27-2015, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

look for plastidip roof rail on youtube ! or you can vinyl wrap !
Old 04-27-2015, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I agree that the silver mirrors are annoying. Does anybody know if carbon fiber caps are available for the mirrors for the SQ5? I've done some looking and haven't find any yet.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I was surprised to see that my roof rails were in matte when taking delivery of the car yesterday. All the other black optic elements are gloss black. I think the matte up there looks pretty bad *** though honestly.

Looking forward to seeing what you end up doing to it. If you take them off to paint them, I'd almost suggest just ordering the black ones. They'd be perfect that way.

I was pretty close to wrapping mine on the previous Q5, but where it was white they didn't stand out so much. Darker car with chrome accents and they pop quite a bit.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:04 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

IMHO... The amount of work required that would go into removing them so they could be properly painted or replaced would be so labor intensive, not to mention the risk of breaking/scratching other components during disassembly, that it wouldn't be worth it. Just to take off one roof rail requires dropping the headliner. Think about all of the components that have to be removed in order to drop the headliner...
Old 04-27-2015, 06:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mrclopec
IMHO... The amount of work required that would go into removing them so they could be properly painted or replaced would be so labor intensive, not to mention the risk of breaking/scratching other components during disassembly, that it wouldn't be worth it. Just to take off one roof rail requires dropping the headliner. Think about all of the components that have to be removed in order to drop the headliner...
For sure - I am looking around to see if a shop can possibly sand the finish while on the roof. I'll keep you updated. I went with Don Nguyen with all the forum posts and he did a crap job with the vinyl wrap. Im sure the mirrors can be painted no issue, its the roof rails that will be the challenge.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by LarkTx
I agree that the silver mirrors are annoying. Does anybody know if carbon fiber caps are available for the mirrors for the SQ5? I've done some looking and haven't find any yet.
I disagree. I think the silver mirrors complement the S model cars with chrome accents. That, the horizontal grill, and the quad exhaust tips are key looks of the S model line.

If you get black optic, you get mirrors in body color, as the other silver elements are also gone as well.

Here is one place to get the carbon, but it's pricey.
OSIR Design USA-OSIR - M1 Mirrors - Gloss Carbon - Q5 B8
Old 04-28-2015, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My s-line came in black, window trim and roof rails.

Was this not an option for the SQ5? What about buying these parts and installing. Maybe it's cheaper? Then powder coat or paint the old ones, sell it, and recoop the cost?
Old 04-28-2015, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
My s-line came in black, window trim and roof rails.

Was this not an option for the SQ5? What about buying these parts and installing. Maybe it's cheaper? Then powder coat or paint the old ones, sell it, and recoop the cost?
Your Cross-bars are silver though...correct?

Quick Reply: SQ5 Roof Rails - Thoughts on going black