Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 Tire Options

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by beh443
I'm not seeing at 21" winters on Tire Rack. What model are you referring to?
They're the Pirelli Scorpion Winter but it appears they are sold out for the season. Pirelli probably just made a small batch to see how well they would sell since it was new sizing this year.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:24 AM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm a big fan of the peelers as well. Had a spare set for winters on my Q5 and have kept them for the SQ5.

-tgt

Old 02-07-2015, 03:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tgt
I'm a big fan of the peelers as well. Had a spare set for winters on my Q5 and have kept them for the SQ5.

-tgt

It concerns me how black your exhaust tips are. I have 12,000 miles on my 2014 SQ5 and mine have never been that black. Looks to me you are burning oil. I would check into it
Old 02-07-2015, 05:35 AM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup, good catch. I've owned it 3 weeks and no oil usage thus far (keeping an eye on it). I suspect the previous owner never washed the tips, though the rest of it was meticulous.

Was waiting for some nicer WI weather, but now you're going to make me go out there with some steel wool and clean them this weekend as it was already bugging me.

-tgt
Old 02-07-2015, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tgt
Yup, good catch. I've owned it 3 weeks and no oil usage thus far (keeping an eye on it). I suspect the previous owner never washed the tips, though the rest of it was meticulous.

Was waiting for some nicer WI weather, but now you're going to make me go out there with some steel wool and clean them this weekend as it was already bugging me.

-tgt
Mothers aluminum polish will shine that bad Boy right up.. Works best with paper towel then a microfiber towel at end.

Amazon.com: MOTHERS 05101 Mag & Aluminum Polish - 10 oz: Automotive Amazon.com: MOTHERS 05101 Mag & Aluminum Polish - 10 oz: Automotive

Last edited by stanbSQ5; 02-07-2015 at 08:46 AM.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jay337
how do you like my 20'' winter setup ?
Wait a minute! That Audi wheel comes in 20"? I asked my dealer about that wheel and was told only in 21"...I am taking delivery of an SQ5 today with the 21" wheels and summer tires and want to switch to A/S on 20's (since that's the largest they make A'S's) and would love those 20" wheels!
Old 10-01-2015, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by beh443
My SQ5 came with 21' wheels and summer tires, which I need to replace to deal with Massachusetts weather. I'd like something versatile –*perhaps all season –*to mount on the existing 21' wheels, but can't seem to find any tires for the 21's that aren't summer. Are there any all season or winter options for the 21's that I'm missing?

If not, what are the best 20' wheel/tire combos for all-season performance?
So my situation with tires and my brand new 2016 SQ5 is a little odd. We live in LA so, typically, summer tires year round would be a no brainer but we also have a cabin up in the San Bernadino mountains about 2 hours away (5500 feet alt) where it can definitely snow a good share during the winter so needed something I could also take up there safely (which the stock summers definitely are not!). As we've all discovered, A/S for our 21" wheels do not exist in captivity...I came across these "winter" tires on TireRack and read through a bunch of the reviews...apparently, these may not be the VERY optimum snows but multiple reviewers driving Q5's and SQ5's said they were great on dry pavement with several saying they'd be tempted to drive with them year round. Since a set of 4 of these is decidedly cheaper than a new wheel/tires combo (in 20"), I am strongly considering them...anyone else shopped these?...http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....5&autoModClar=
Old 10-01-2015, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ND40oz
They're the Pirelli Scorpion Winter but it appears they are sold out for the season. Pirelli probably just made a small batch to see how well they would sell since it was new sizing this year.
How do you like the Pirelli Scorpion 21's? I am strongly considering...reviews say they're pretty good on dry also...?
Old 10-01-2015, 11:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NealcpLA
Wait a minute! That Audi wheel comes in 20"? I asked my dealer about that wheel and was told only in 21"...I am taking delivery of an SQ5 today with the 21" wheels and summer tires and want to switch to A/S on 20's (since that's the largest they make A'S's) and would love those 20" wheels!
no they are 19'' replicas .

It clears the brake so thats good for me.

Last edited by Jay337; 10-01-2015 at 11:11 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NealcpLA
...... As we've all discovered, A/S for our 21" wheels do not exist in captivity...I came across these "winter" tires on TireRack and read through a bunch of the reviews...apparently, these may not be the VERY optimum snows but multiple reviewers driving Q5's and SQ5's said they were great on dry pavement with several saying they'd be tempted to drive with them year round. Since a set of 4 of these is decidedly cheaper than a new wheel/tires combo (in 20"), I am strongly considering them...anyone else shopped these?...
In the same situation -most people laugh at Southern California for winter weather tire changes.

I know my tire dealer looked at me strange when I came in every 6 months to change out tires/wheel sets.

Going skiing to the mountains is a major hurdle with summer tires - they don't work at all - might was well put on skis for the car.....

For winter use, the smaller wheel size offers more sidewall and tread flex to grip the slippery conditions. I always get a size smaller to accommodate the winter tires. That's why I avoid the 21" Audi wheels while place my order.

This time around with the Audi I am getting 20" wheels w/ standard summer tires. Looking at getting my all time favorite: Continental DWS - have had them on my past 2 BMWs - 335d and X5-35d and they work perfectly - awesome in the snow and even better on dry.

My dealer suggested I look at the Pirelli PZero or Scorpion Winter for the 21" since that was the test drive I took....

Quick Reply: SQ5 Tire Options