Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 wine tasting and Shelby Mustang encounter

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SQ5 wine tasting and Shelby Mustang encounter

I am so not the winery guy, and I try avoiding people flinging doors open in parking lots, too (read: winery). But my good friend wanted to spend the day wine tasting and I figured it'd be good to take the new SQ5 out of its urban element and rip open some rural roads in a law-abiding sober manner.

Friend did not know about the new Audi. Her tastes are very conservative but she commented how understated and classy it was. Being a shoe fanatic like many girls she put it in a great way with "this car is like my favorite pair of Frye boots - expensive, comfortable, not showy yet people know it's something different.....why didn't you get that Tesla with cool doors?" Bitch. Kidding. She asked "what's that sound (exhaust), your car sounds like it wants to hunker down and make race car noise." That's when I told her about dynamic + esc off and manual. I'll spare you all the expletives Miss Priss shouted before laughing "it sounds sooooo good....but you're scaring me." Back to Comfort and the speed limit we went.

One of the wineries had a few bored husbands patiently waiting on their wives to finish hugging and making fake promises to become facebook friends or have lunch. Smooch smooch. Guy comes up and asks if he can bug me about the Sepang Blue with black optics and shiny 21" (yes, I detailed it before the dusty country bug infested voyage, ha). He owns a new Daytona Grey (?) Q5 and the drunk wife stumbles out "No, we are not getting one of those."

On way home we had a little drag race with, are you ready, a Ford Mustang Shelby. Looked to be a 2010-ish. Now I know what the regular V8 Mustang with Performance Pack can do because I tested a 2015 days before buying the SQ5. Completely different animal, but it was a flat open rural road with no dogs, houses, cars, anything around, and I was hoping Mr. Mustang would be slow on the light wondering why a 4 door SUV wants to race and have no throttle control or quick shifting ability in this non-magazine perfect condition scenario.

I'm back in dynamic/esc off/manual and when the light turns green all four summer tires hooked. HARD! The only thing more impressive than my reaction time is his V8 roar. So damn good! Miss Priss is not happy shouting "my bottles, my bottles." Ford guy had slower reaction and I'm presuming a lot of wheel spin. Do the 2010 Shelby have traction control; wonder if it was on. I let off about 75mph. Ford maturely backs off and eventually turns left giving a roar of the engine with a thumbs up. Now I don't want any Mustang or sport car owners thinking I'm delusional about the heavy SQ5 being "the bad *** muscle car." It's probably like the kids on old 600cc Ninjas beating me in a "race" while I was leisurely driving on the Super Duke 1290 thinking about what to make for dinner.

Get Miss Priss and bottles home in one piece full of wine, food and a few frazzled nerves, ha.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ah this is a beautiful post. Well done! Where was the wine tasting?
Old 10-04-2015, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

So tell us, did you close the deal??
Old 10-04-2015, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Barraged
seriously! and pics of miss priss too! haha.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just moved from Healdsburg to Boise. Outskirts of my new town has small yet relatively good wineries. Nothing compared to the old place, but quality of life is much better for me being a non-wine drinker and all.

Originally Posted by Transfer
Ah this is a beautiful post. Well done! Where was the wine tasting?
Old 10-05-2015, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ha, no. She's truly just a friend. Translation: she wanted my supercharger a few years ago, but I can't get it out of Comfort mode for her....even with the lights off.

Originally Posted by Barraged
Old 10-05-2015, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Ahhh, stuck in the "friend zone"...
Old 10-05-2015, 11:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahhh..Good posting! Back when I had a Z-28, kids with tuned ricers seemed to come out of the woodwork, giant resonator exhausts blaring and neon undercarriage lights glowing, all looking for a race. But the SQ5 has not attracted not one race in the year and a half I've owned it! So good on you for letting Mr Shelby Mustang see that there are mild mannered vehicles out here that can give him a run for his money, especially if he's slow on the green light.

Originally Posted by kreativecid
I am so not the winery guy, and I try avoiding people flinging doors open in parking lots, too (read: winery). But my good friend wanted to spend the day wine tasting and I figured it'd be good to take the new SQ5 out of its urban element and rip open some rural roads in a law-abiding sober manner.

Friend did not know about the new Audi. Her tastes are very conservative but she commented how understated and classy it was. Being a shoe fanatic like many girls she put it in a great way with "this car is like my favorite pair of Frye boots - expensive, comfortable, not showy yet people know it's something different.....why didn't you get that Tesla with cool doors?" Bitch. Kidding. She asked "what's that sound (exhaust), your car sounds like it wants to hunker down and make race car noise." That's when I told her about dynamic + esc off and manual. I'll spare you all the expletives Miss Priss shouted before laughing "it sounds sooooo good....but you're scaring me." Back to Comfort and the speed limit we went.

One of the wineries had a few bored husbands patiently waiting on their wives to finish hugging and making fake promises to become facebook friends or have lunch. Smooch smooch. Guy comes up and asks if he can bug me about the Sepang Blue with black optics and shiny 21" (yes, I detailed it before the dusty country bug infested voyage, ha). He owns a new Daytona Grey (?) Q5 and the drunk wife stumbles out "No, we are not getting one of those."

On way home we had a little drag race with, are you ready, a Ford Mustang Shelby. Looked to be a 2010-ish. Now I know what the regular V8 Mustang with Performance Pack can do because I tested a 2015 days before buying the SQ5. Completely different animal, but it was a flat open rural road with no dogs, houses, cars, anything around, and I was hoping Mr. Mustang would be slow on the light wondering why a 4 door SUV wants to race and have no throttle control or quick shifting ability in this non-magazine perfect condition scenario.

I'm back in dynamic/esc off/manual and when the light turns green all four summer tires hooked. HARD! The only thing more impressive than my reaction time is his V8 roar. So damn good! Miss Priss is not happy shouting "my bottles, my bottles." Ford guy had slower reaction and I'm presuming a lot of wheel spin. Do the 2010 Shelby have traction control; wonder if it was on. I let off about 75mph. Ford maturely backs off and eventually turns left giving a roar of the engine with a thumbs up. Now I don't want any Mustang or sport car owners thinking I'm delusional about the heavy SQ5 being "the bad *** muscle car." It's probably like the kids on old 600cc Ninjas beating me in a "race" while I was leisurely driving on the Super Duke 1290 thinking about what to make for dinner.

Get Miss Priss and bottles home in one piece full of wine, food and a few frazzled nerves, ha.