Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Still waiting for redesign announcment on Q5

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by marnes

The wait is driving you crazy, eh? This is how I've felt since last year when I finally decided on the Q5. I still remember how excited I got when I saw the year end December statement from Audi that the new Q2 & Q5's would be planned for 2016. Anyways... I'm at a new stage where since I decided on the current model that I'm patiently waiting for the 2017s to start arriving with pricing.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh yeah, you speak the truth! But if this takes too much longer, I'll get the GLC 43 AMG, which will be on Canadian and US lots early next year. You can already configure them on the German and UK sites which I consider a tell for imminent North American release.

Also I was considering the new Jaguar F-Pace, but after seeing some early reviews, I've scratched that off my list. It has a gorgeous exterior, but there are many signs of mediocrity in every other category, plus it's overpriced for what you get.

I started considering a new car last summer. As a former BMW fan, I was eyeing the 335i, then I caught wind of Audi's virtual cockpit and then wanted an S4. But then my wife said I should get an SUV, because family. Also because wife. Then I learned of the SQ5... and at that time BMW and Mercedes didn't have anything like that. And now everyone is jumping on the band wagon. Definitely great times ahead BMW has sure lost their way. So muted and boring these days, but they do have some interesting cars coming down the pipe.

Last edited by marnes; 04-27-2016 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Oh yeah, you speak the truth! But if this takes too much longer, I'll get the GLC 43 AMG, which will be on Canadian and US lots early next year. You can already configure them on the German and UK sites which I consider a tell for imminent North American release.

Also I was considering the new Jaguar F-Pace, but after seeing some early reviews, I've scratched that off my list. It has a gorgeous exterior, but there are many signs of mediocrity in every other category, plus it's overpriced for what you get.

I started considering a new car last summer. As a former BMW fan, I was eyeing the 335i, then I caught wind of Audi's virtual cockpit and then wanted an S4. But then my wife said I should get an SUV, because family. Also because wife. Then I learned of the SQ5... and at that time BMW and Mercedes didn't have anything like that. And now everyone is jumping on the band wagon. Definitely great times ahead BMW has sure lost their way. So muted and boring these days, but they do have some interesting cars coming down the pipe.
We have same taste! I was looking at the Jaguar F-Pace as well, and I agree - the early reviews seem to peg it as an above average SUV, plus pricing for it doesn't help. I've never owned a German vehicle, but have always wanted one. I also just stumbled into the SQ5 and really enjoyed it and was not comparable to others. I checked out the new re-designed Lexus RX which used to be my dream car, drove it and didn't like the feel of it. I then went to Porsche Macan but then realized once I got the options I wanted it became to over-priced for me. I still do feel the SQ5 in its current for is good bang for its buck for a premium/sporty SUV that still is practical.

Based on that leak we saw - I think there is a good chance Audi will release both the Q5 & SQ5 in the North American markets next spring at the same time. There is increased competition from performance oriented SUVs so will be interesting to see what they end up doing. My guess is the order bank isn't opened up quite yet for the 2018 Q5/SQ5 due to not wanting to diminish sales from their final run for the 2017s. It is quite possible that the Mexico plant is not ready to go and/or they focus on a European run first.

All in all, it would be nice in the mean time if we got some sort of unveiling in the near future. I have not had much luck in this department lately. I've been waiting for 2 years for Apple to update the 15" Macbook Pro line (My original one I have had since 2009). Long story short - their Intel chips are 2 years behind and this experience has really tested my patience! Rumors are that it'll finally get released this summer - but I cannot put myself through that type of experience again.

Back on semi-topic. I would guess the Mercedes GLC AMG does not offer much (if any discounts)? Have you had any success with any of the Lower Mainland dealers? I'm set on getting the SQ5, but curious to what your experience has been like with them. When I went the sales person was very firm that it would be sticker only and maybe at most $750 off since it's a redesign and as is they cannot get enough in stock.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

For a new SQ5, my particular dealer is giving me 3% off MSRP, which is fair considering the current Q7 is on an 8 month waiting list with 110 in that particular waiting list. I can refer you to him and he'll give you 3% off as well. I believe I can also get Mercedes to play ball too should that time come, but I don't really know anyone there, and not sure I'm willing to pull the trigger on that yet.

The way I see the GLC 43 situation, is if for whatever reason the Q5/SQ5 gets delayed for an extra year, then I can just go get something off the lot and have the ability to negotiate harder.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

A bit off topic, but I sat in an F Pace last Thursday. The Jag dealership, right next door to and owned by the Audi store, had one on display for three days before moving on to other dealerships in the area. A very nice vehicle and a bit larger than the Q5, GLC, X3 etc. I'd be interested, but feel the price creeps up too fast and discounting wouldn't amount to much. It's a looker though.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
A bit off topic, but I sat in an F Pace last Thursday. The Jag dealership, right next door to and owned by the Audi store, had one on display for three days before moving on to other dealerships in the area. A very nice vehicle and a bit larger than the Q5, GLC, X3 etc. I'd be interested, but feel the price creeps up too fast and discounting wouldn't amount to much. It's a looker though.
That's awesome you got to see one in person. They are really very attractive cars, like Land Rovers in general. They have a talented design team for sure. But poor reliability, high depreciation, and expensive repairs is their achille's heel. I reckon the F-Pace will follow a similar pattern.

I used to live in England and used to commute past the Land Rover / Jaguar factory each day. If you poked a whole in the dead center of England, that's where it is. We called it the a$$**** of England -- also boonies. Totally not relevant.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

For a new SQ5, my particular dealer is giving me 3% off MSRP, which is fair considering the current Q7 is on an 8 month waiting list with 110 in that particular waiting list. I can refer you to him and he'll give you 3% off as well. I believe I can also get Mercedes to play ball too should that time come, but I don't really know anyone there, and not sure I'm willing to pull the trigger on that yet.

The way I see the GLC 43 situation, is if for whatever reason the Q5/SQ5 gets delayed for an extra year, then I can just go get something off the lot and have the ability to negotiate harder.
Would you consider the current Audi SQ5 at all? Say if they throw in additional options for the final model or something along those lines? Thank you, I'm confident I can get a good deal (on the current generation).
Old 04-27-2016, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

If you are willing to wait until at least the announcement happens, then the outgoing models should be in low demand and you should be able to secure quite a good deal. Is there a reason you have to go with a custom 2017 order vs getting a 2016 off the lot? They are essentially the same car.

I bet next year there will be a totally chaotic Q5/SQ5 craze where everyone with one tries to trade in for a new one. When that happens, used ones will be pretty cheap for once! And new outgoing ones in the lots will also be cheaper too.

Also here are some signs:
Audi continues its U.S. sales ascent with 63rd consecutive record set for March | Business Wire
  • A4 sales up 42% since last year (incoming redesign)
  • Q7 sales up 93% since last year (incoming redesign)
  • Q5 sales down 5% since last year (impending redesign).

Last edited by marnes; 04-27-2016 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

That's a good point to wait for the announcement. I think the announcement could be as late as the fall (hopefully not). A couple of reasons why I'm choosing the 2016 over the 2017. 1) At this point is only a few months away and as of right now the discount would be similar ie $1500 to $2000 (around 3%). 2) Sometimes when it's a final year model there is a special package with a few extra options. I'm holding out hoping to see if Audi Canada goes this route - which they should be getting their order sheets sooner than later. I would imagine no later than May.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Another exBMW driver - I just fell off the BMW wagon after 15 years.
Not excited at all with the new BMWs even though my dealer is trying really hard to get me back into another.....

Yes, the SQ5 is amazing - supercharged engine does not come close to any competitor! Even the Porsche turbos are below that of the SQ5 engine.

I am waiting for a diesel variant to replace my current but discontinued 2nd gen BMW X5 diesel which I love for the power and torque off the line!

IN the meantime, at least I am enjoying my daily driver: Land Rover Discovery Sport.

Quick Reply: Still waiting for redesign announcment on Q5