Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Stolen

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 11:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
First they look up your VIN number, it's right there on the dash corner visible through windshield from the outside (I now keep mine taped over).
Then they have a key made with inside help at a dealership. The key won't start your car until it is programmed into the ECU. The bad guys have a programmer that plugs into your OBDII port, they can disable the anti-theft devices to move the car to where they can program the new key. I think I'm going to drop my OBDII connector, and screw in a screw from the backside so they can't use their cable connector plug, I don't think they will stick around trying to figure why their plug won't go into the socket.

Here's a BMW video of the bad guys stealing it, but it is the same method for an Audi....

BMW 1M Coupe stolen in 3 minutes - YouTube

I feel your pain, I hope scumbags totaled your car into a tree with them in it....
I don't have a good sense of if this was a professional job or not. There was a credit card in the car. And they used it. Four times in 2 hours until the fifth triggered a fraud alert. If these were professionals I think they'd know enough not to use the card.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthValley
And what happens if your key was stolen to steal your car??? No insurance then???
Where's the stolen key, how ..... you must have police report
If he burgled the house, you need report police for burglary....

Last edited by spijun; 03-31-2014 at 11:39 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 225 Likes on 189 Posts
Default Agree on the card, or they sold it to someone.....

Originally Posted by erik.wahlstrom
I don't have a good sense of if this was a professional job or not. There was a credit card in the car. And they used it. Four times in 2 hours until the fifth triggered a fraud alert. If these were professionals I think they'd know enough not to use the card.
the Audi alarm sucks, my alarm clock is louder. Most likley they used your spare emergency key, why do the Audi/dealers even suggest that you keep the key in the glovebox.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default All 3 keys are programmed individually into the ECU...

I hope this is not the case in the U.S. What happens if you lose a key? Your insurance is cancelled?
Let's say you get you car back and the emergency key is missing, but you have the other 2 keys. You go to your dealer and wipe the 3 key codes from the ECU, you then program the other 2 remaining keys back into the ECU. You also need to add the code(s) if you bought an additional key(s). The upside is that with the stolen key they can't start your car, but the downside is that they can still unlock the door and enter it.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by spijun
Where's the stolen key, how ..... you must have police report
If he burgled the house, you need report police for burglary....
I dont remember when I lived in Europe having to make out police reports for things I had lost??? I just replaced them...here in Chile if your car is stolen then it is stolen whether you have the keys or not. Someone having a key does not give them a right to take your car...it is still theft!
Old 03-31-2014, 11:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
the Audi alarm sucks, my alarm clock is louder. Most likley they used your spare emergency key, why do the Audi/dealers even suggest that you keep the key in the glovebox.
I'm feeling pretty dumb here, but does every Q5 have an alarm? I should know these things, but I'll admit that I don't.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthValley
I dont remember when I lived in Europe having to make out police reports for things I had lost??? I just replaced them...here in Chile if your car is stolen then it is stolen whether you have the keys or not. Someone having a key does not give them a right to take your car...it is still theft!
If you lose your keys and someone finds your key, he knows where you live ???
What if I sell my car to thieves for parts and then want to charge from insurance companies ?
Old 03-31-2014, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes they all do...

I'm feeling pretty dumb here, but does every Q5 have an alarm? I should know these things, but I'll admit that I don't.
you know that little low level chirp that you get when you lock the door, that's the same beeping sound you get when when the alarm is set off. The low volume has something to do with European noise restrictions. Well they sure could have given us US owners a different alarm. My Subaru Outback factory alarm will wake up the dead, well at least it will wake me, but the Q5 alarm won't.

I still feel your pain, if they don't recover your Q5 would you buy again or look elsewhere?
Old 03-31-2014, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The Q5 theft rates are super low....

THEFT RATES FOR THE AUDI Q5 ACCORDING TO THE NHTSA TO THE PRESENT....

2009 - 5
2010 - 6

Looks like there have been none for 2011/12/13/14, except now for yours.

If anyone wants your vehicle bad enough they will just tow it.

Last edited by Bob Petruska; 03-31-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by spijun
What if I sell my car to thieves for parts and then want to charge from insurance companies ?
How does having all keys on hand when you go make your claim prevent you from doing exactly this? You could still go drop it off at a chop shop, then collect your keys and go make a claim.

The reality is professional organized crime rings are very careful, and if they accepted cars from random people looking to defraud their insurance they'd soon be behind bars. Because eventually one of those people would be an undercover police or insurance agent, or one of the "sellers" gets caught and offers to rat you out for a reduced sentence. Organized crime rings won't have anything to do with you, and more likely than not will report your attempt to defraud your insurance. If you just want a new car you're better off setting it on fire.

Quick Reply: Stolen