Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Strange question: Q5 VS. Ford Edge Sport

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hmn4858
That's the FORD I know and love. I owned one and I swore it would be the last.
Just thought of a short little story that came to mind after reading your post. Many years ago, more than I care to remember, I bought an umpteenth-hand 1966 Ford Econoline (flatnose). Affectionately known as our "Team Bus" as I drove the guys to our weekly softball games.

I noticed a few weeks after I bought it the letters on the rear doors had been re-arranged to: DORF. I left it like that. It seemed to fit .
Old 09-29-2010, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kleinbus
Haldex is Swedish multiclutch brand and so far it is only unit that is able to generate clamping power to make true 50/50 torque distribution and that is why it is most expensive system.
I am pretty sure you know that, but the Q5 doesn't use the Haldex clutch. It uses a Torsen differential for its Quattro system.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

haldex needs to sense slippage before it activates the mechanism, torsen transfers power as a wheel begins to slip. that is the quattro advantage. you get power back to the road faster.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Com' on guys, I went to re-read my post and I don't see me saying Q5 haves Haldex, all I see is "Q5 is mechanical system".

Audi uses Haldex only on TT and A3 that haves electrical control.

Haldex does not need to detect slippage as VW locks it for full throttle launch and European off-road package "Track & Field" button activates the Haldex lock to provide constant 50/50 split for rougher terrain. On normal daily drive, the computer measures steering angle, acceleration / deceleration and from all possible sensors it calculates possible trajectories and activates Haldex or wheel brakes as needed. Sure it is activated if sudden slippage is detected.

I had VW Tiguan 4motion before Q5 so I know how it handless during the normal drive and intended 4 wheel drift on the icy warehouse yard.

R8 haves VISCO that is automatic as silicone fluid reacts to shear effect and heat between the multidics clutch.

The rest, A4, A5, A6, A8, Q5 and Q7 haves Torsen mechanical differential.

Anyways, Edge should not be dompared to Q5, rather to VW Tiguan or Toyota Rav4

Last edited by kleinbus; 09-29-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Great question. This is EXACTLY the choice i was making. The new Edge is sweet. I didn't drive one, and I doubt it drives like the Audi, and it isn't of Audi quality, but its a good next best thing. I said in both, and ultimately went Audi once the Audi dealer offered me 8 grand more on my 2009 A5 trade in than did Ford.

Actually hadn't even thought about the Q5 until i realized the Edge Sport was gonna run us 43k with the options. So then we started doing the math and opted instead to get a loaded to the gills pre owned certified s line Q5. Couldn't be happier. Resale will be better here too. And this thing really does drive just like my A did. Its a sports coupe just bigger.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stanw
I know nothing about what is under the hood or driving performance (that is why I posted here to get some feedback from you guys), though I can say with certainty that the technology in the Ford is amazing. I'm not necessarily going to use all of these features, though the attention to detail that Ford put into this is really nice:
- it reads your texts to you
- you can speak your texts to it
- it shows pics of person calling you
- you can plug a video camera into it to watch videos on the nav screen or a SD card to play pics (maybe if you are on a trip)
- you can customize the image that displays on the home screen
- it displays and speaks to you sports scores, movie times, gas prices, stock prices, news
- can use the car as a wifi hub for people in car with laptops

Thanks guys!
all of that is useless and takes away from driving. it makes your vehicle more dangerous than it already is. not a good idea at all.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
all of that is useless and takes away from driving. it makes your vehicle more dangerous than it already is. not a good idea at all.
To each his own. I take it you ordered your vehicles sans sound system?
Old 09-29-2010, 06:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrV
Now if we can only bring the two together . . . (sync and Audi) then we would be in heaven
Do we really want Microsoft software in our Audi's?

We were testing a 2011 Edge w/the newest SYNC system in it and the voice recognition locked the whole system up for several minutes before finally crashing and rebooting. It took over 30 seconds for the system to restart.

The direction Audi will be heading in the future will be really impressive. No, I can't tell you anything else. ;-)
Old 09-29-2010, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Agree with not wanting Microsoft in my car. I dont want to be bothered with questions like "Are you sure you want to listen to this Song? Yes No Cancel" and seeing Blue Screens.

Audi uses QNX in the new A8 MMI as an operating system which is awesome. It is also going to be used in the new Blackberry tablet - Playbook. So it will probably have seemless integration with your cell phone .
Old 09-29-2010, 06:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by hmn4858
To each his own. I take it you ordered your vehicles sans sound system?
Agreed. A lot of folks in here are being way defensive of Audi. It's probably a closer call than you care to admit in some ways, though the Q is still the clear winner.

Quick Reply: Strange question: Q5 VS. Ford Edge Sport