Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Stupid question - where do you put your phone while driving?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 06:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking about trying out one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T0I54Q8?psc=1

Has anyone else tried one? It looks like I could attach the base to the left vertical edge of the bevel around the 7-inch screen (the black part that goes from the leather part of the dash back toward the screen), have the phone vertical, and still be able to see 100% of the cars screen. Would keep it from sliding around, and keep the phone screen visible. I'd like to keep it visible as the wife will often text me while driving & I could see it pop up, then use bluetooth in the car to call her back & see what's up. I could also figure out a way to run the shortest possible charging cable & keep it under control. Thinking about having a car stereo company run a more permanent cable under the dash with the smallest hole possible for where it comes out of the dash close to the phone, but that wouldn't come until later when I figure out where I want to keep the phone longer term.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

In the cup holder. I don't use that space for anything so I just drop the phone in there. If it needs charging the cable is out of the way.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by txtom
I leave it in my pocket. No reason to do otherwise with bluetooth.
+1
Old 09-25-2016, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

If I left my computer (and the FCC says it is a computer, not a telephone) in my pocket while in the car, I couldn't conveniently charge it. Or conveniently get traffic jam and detour alerts. Or other roadway warnings. Perhaps on an MMI system, but really, my first Camaro only cost $200 more than an MMI upgrade, and that was with a 350 V8, FM stereo, AC and fancy wheels. Somebody's making about a 500% profit on the MMI, and that's a bit too oink for my wallet.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

In my pocket most days, but if I need to charge it I put it sideways/landscape orientation in the ashtray/power plug area. I carry my iPhone without a case, and it sits perfectly in there. Keeps my charge cable out of the way, and it allows me to use it as a second nav device for Waze/whatever app I choose that day.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After letting the aluminum around my console get ruined by my phone, I bought a Nite ize Steelie ball. It's a great product. I paid $34 for the first one and now you can buy two of them on Amazon for 15 bucks. Very unobtrusive in the cabin
Old 09-26-2016, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Name:  Door%20Inserts%207.jpg
Views: 5766
Size:  785.0 KB
Old 09-26-2016, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I use a mount from ProClip (http://www.proclipusa.com). It comes in two custom parts. First, you select a custom-molded vehicle mount that attaches securely to the vehicle trim using friction. I use the one that mounts to the right of my Q5 center console. Second, you select a device mount that matches your phone. ProClip has options that fit any kind of phone, with or without a case, and some include a power option for charging the phone in the mount. They are not cheap, but there are a lot of options to fit your specific needs. I have used them in my last two vehicles and been very happy with the fit, finish, and function.
The following 2 users liked this post by centurion70:
Johnhol78 (06-30-2020), Silk (08-12-2021)
Old 09-26-2016, 08:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I keep mine in a Kenu Airframe (https://www.kenu.com/products/airframe) positioned on the left side of the left air vent (just to the right of the steering wheel for convenient glancing). I keep Waze going on it whenever I'm driving. Combined with my hard-wired Valentine 1 (MirrorTap + Blendmount), the phone location is perfect for Waze monitoring and otherwise.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i just cut a thin sticky pad and layer it on top of the ash tray cover - thin enough so the ashtray can still open with the sticky pad on.

lay it "flat" when not in use and prop it up against the hvac controls if in use. Sticky pad prevents the phone from sliding around as long as enough of the phone is touching the pad. Downside is having to look down if you're using phone navigation and the phone is on mute.

Quick Reply: Stupid question - where do you put your phone while driving?