Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Stupid question - where do you put your phone while driving?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 11:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blcarney88
I'm thinking about trying out one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T0I54Q8?psc=1

Has anyone else tried one? It looks like I could attach the base to the left vertical edge of the bevel around the 7-inch screen (the black part that goes from the leather part of the dash back toward the screen), have the phone vertical, and still be able to see 100% of the cars screen. Would keep it from sliding around, and keep the phone screen visible. I'd like to keep it visible as the wife will often text me while driving & I could see it pop up, then use bluetooth in the car to call her back & see what's up. I could also figure out a way to run the shortest possible charging cable & keep it under control. Thinking about having a car stereo company run a more permanent cable under the dash with the smallest hole possible for where it comes out of the dash close to the phone, but that wouldn't come until later when I figure out where I want to keep the phone longer term.
This looks good, I will probably order it
Old 09-26-2016, 11:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I use this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/112116605984?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true
Old 09-27-2016, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I usually keep it in the pocket, but when I need to have it outside for some reason (like charging), I open ashtray door a little and insert the phone into this opening. This door has enough spring force to hold it upright.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

So I bought the magnetic mount I linked to earlier - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T0I54Q8?psc=1

It arrived las night, and I installed it on the black bezel on the left side of the 7-inch screen. Tried it out on the way to work this morning, and thought I'd give initial feedback. It worked just fine. Never worried about the phone dropping off, but the drive is all smooth roads, no major bumps along the way. Very easy to install - clean the area where the mount will go with the included alcohol wipe, peel cover off the adhesive, press on for 30 seconds. Take the case (Spigen Neo Hybrid) off the phone, adhere rectangle to back of the phone, replace cover. (There were 2 sizes of metal discs, I thought the rectangle provided larger surface & better hold.)

I like how it puts my phone where the screen is visible, yet I can still see 100% of the cars screen too. I like to be able to see the screen as my phone is on vibrate 99% of the time, and my wife will often text me to pick something up at the store on the way home from work. If I can't see it, I'll miss those messages. (I know, don't drive distracted, but if I can see my wife wants something, I can use the bluetooth connection in the Q5 to call her back.) No worries about the phone sliding around near the gearshift, or blocking buttons if I put it in the ashtray. I may look into having a car stereo company run a permanent power line under the dash to come out in a spot near the phone to reduce cable length.

I'll give an update in about a week.

Pics below:

Old 09-28-2016, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's pretty neat. I like how small/unobtrusive it is. I was going to order one for my bmw, but i just can't find a good mounting spot for it that would offer good adhesion and still not obstruct any buttons. No luck. I'm going to stick with a windshield mount for now.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Unless I'm using Waze (in which case I plug the phone in and have a vent mounted clip for it), I just plug it in and silence it and throw it on the passenger's seat. It's a nice escape from the over-connected world to have some silence for the commute
Old 10-14-2016, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Are the vent fins strong enough in our Q5s to not break using a cell phone vent clip holder?
Old 10-14-2016, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mountek nGroove Snap 3. Best phone holder I've used... that is unless you need access to your CD player. Also does not work well with wireless chargers if you use them.

https://www.amazon.com/Mountek-nGroo.../dp/B00MNXAFQ6
Old 10-15-2016, 08:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Raistlin
Are the vent fins strong enough in our Q5s to not break using a cell phone vent clip holder?
Very strong - been using the setup I posted before for a few years with both the B8 S4 and SQ5. I have an iPhone 6 - setup allows access to the key plug (if you use it) and CD player with no problem.

Old 10-16-2016, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I use a center console armrest insert - see my full review:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...pment-2908106/

/dan

Last edited by drhaller; 10-16-2016 at 09:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Stupid question - where do you put your phone while driving?