Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Switching from MDX to Q5

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
Offhand, I think you will find the major reliability issues were fixed in the change from 2012 to 2013, but would suggest an online search to see what (if any) recalls or maintenance issues have been found. Your local library (reference desk) can usually give you the annual Consumer Reports auto issue, which makes a point of these things, as well.

Audi's are idiosyncratic. If you look closely, some of the ways and things they do are simply odd. And because of the infestation of computers, many maintenance issues become "dealer only" or specialty tech. Personally, if I was planning to buy one (of any kind) and keep it past 50,000 miles I'd want the extended AudiCare warranty, because complex systems can get expensive.

Little oddities: The headlights can be left on "automatic". But, the switch is positioned where a left knee can easily swipe it--and WILL sometimes swipe it, turning them off completely. Or, the music system(s) options, which can make an MP3 player seem like a better idea. And an inflatable spare, which can be a good thing, or bad, depending on your style and preferences. Or the roof racks--which are flush, requiring the crossbars to be installed before they can be used. And the crossbars have to stored someplace, or else left on all the time. (Noisy.)

And the "wiper fluid low!" light comes on when it needs 61 ounces of fluid. Which of course is sold in 64 ounce bottles. Odd quirks. (No, it isn't a metric thing, two litres would be more like 68 ounces.)

Even the 2.0 engine has plenty of power and can lull you into high speeds. The ride and handling (was that a railway crossing? really?) are absolutely marvelous though.
Ironically I was just reading about some frustrations with knees hitting the light switch and noisy cross bars. The wiper fluid things would be old hand though since the MDX does that as well. Ride and handling are my primary motivators here since the MDX lets me know every road imperfection I come across these days. I've always kind of enjoyed doing my own maintenance and I'm kinda bummed that doesn't sound so feasible with the Q5, but oh well.
Old 07-30-2016, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Kansas_cty_shfl
Thanks!..
Happy to help.

If you can arrange it, it would be worth driving both a 2.0T and a TDi. They feel quite different to drive, due to the extra weight of the diesel engine, and the extra sound deadening on the TDi. The 2.0T is certainly more nimble, while the TDi feels more luxurious, and a bit like a "Dreadnought", if you know that I mean...

Both have their advantages, depending on your tastes...
Old 07-30-2016, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Something else to bear in mind, is that the Q5 is always an AWD vehicle. But the Acura only offers that as an OPTION, and most of them are sold as FWD only. That may or may not matter to a lot of buyers. A lot of folks say "But I don't drive in snow country, I don't need AWD" and they may be right.

Except the AWD makes a difference in handling, even in heavy rain, even on dry pavement. I've never heard my Q5 "chirp" a wheel, driven in the exact same way on the exact same roads where I've heard all kinds of FWD and RWD vehicles consistently chirping on take-off during a tight turn.

Just, fwiw.

And if you have a heavy foot or do a lot of urban stop-and-go driving? An optional bigger engine usually will be MORE economical than the stock 2.0 liter, which has to rev high and burn the turbos in order to get that performance, while a big engine can just do it without any effort.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

great post for me to lurk on. I'm also in the market for a Q5 coming from a 2010 MDX. We have owned it since new and it has been trouble-free for 6 years now and 40K miles. Only tire and routine fluid changes.

I've been hesitant to dip my toes in the German car market due to horror stories from the past. I've been eyeing some good deals with the q5 TDI. My question is in regards to AudiCare. Can I purchase this plan buying the car used from an Audi dealership? Seems like a good way to pay for some of the costs up front. Also how much are extended warranty plans for q5's coming off the standard factory warranty? I like the OP would plan to keep this car at least 5-7 years.

Thanks for the info/opinions given so far.
Old 07-31-2016, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZCD2.7T
Welcome to the forum - I hope you'll find it a good resource. I've been here for just about 16 years now, and though there's been good and bad, there's more good than bad.

We were an Acura family before becoming a mostly-Audi family. We certainly enjoyed the Acuras for what they were and the value they offered, but we've enjoyed our Audis much more overall.

Is your MDX the current generation, or the previous generation? We moved from a loaded 2008 MDX to a '15 Q5 TDi, and we find the Q5 to better in pretty much every way except cargo space. Emissions issues aside, the 3.0L TDi is an amazing engine in every day use. Virtually silent, GOBS of useable torque at any speed, and we've averaged almost 31 mpg. The MDX's V-6, though sonorous, was a bit lacking in torque around town, and it only averaged about 18-19 mpg in the 8 years we owned it...

If you don't need the MDX's cargo space, then the Q5 is a great choice - there's a reason it's been the segment's best-seller almost from the day it was introduced...it just does everything well. BTW - even the 2.0T will surprise you with its speed - it's at least as quick as the MDX was. It's also a MUCH quieter cruiser than our MDX was, which makes it much more relaxing to drive...

As far as reliability, Q5s have been very solid overall. For the overall mileage you've mentiioned, I'd be surprised if you had any real issues.

Good luck with your search!
We looked at MDX and chose Q5 because it was easier for my wife. I may have chosen the MDX for me, so it's a toss up. We also got the TDI and are very pleased.
Expecting Audi to fix the emissions issue in fair manner
Old 08-01-2016, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sigq5
We looked at MDX and chose Q5 because it was easier for my wife.
Can you elaborate on this? Just curious what you meant by "easier"?
Old 08-04-2016, 05:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Q5 airbags

I just traded in a 2010 Q5 as we needed a bigger car due to 3 kids. The dealer tried to beat me up on the trade in value because of the air bag recall. The dealer stated that they could not sell the q5 until the recall was fixed.

Not sure if this was true or not but I called BS and they upped the trade in value. I mention this because you should check the VIN of a q5 you may like to see if it is on the air bag recall list and make a big deal of it to see if you can get a better price.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Tell the dealer to put that in writing, then you can serve him with a summons to testoify against AoA when you sue them for the diminished value of your trade, because they haven't prioritized the recalls.

See how fast he says that won't be necessary.(G)
Old 08-05-2016, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by westcedar
I just traded in a 2010 Q5 as we needed a bigger car due to 3 kids. The dealer tried to beat me up on the trade in value because of the air bag recall. The dealer stated that they could not sell the q5 until the recall was fixed.

Not sure if this was true or not but I called BS and they upped the trade in value. I mention this because you should check the VIN of a q5 you may like to see if it is on the air bag recall list and make a big deal of it to see if you can get a better price.
There currently is a $2000 Takata incentive to trade my 2011 Q5 and probably yours too.
We traded in our 2008 A4 Cab and got the $2000 Takata Incentive. It made the car too expensive to sell privately quickly like we normally do.
Old 08-07-2016, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
... the "wiper fluid low!" light comes on when it needs 61 ounces of fluid. Which of course is sold in 64 ounce bottles. Odd quirks. (No, it isn't a metric thing, two litres would be more like 68 ounces.)...
Maybe the sensor is faulty-when ours shows this light I can put in almost a whole bottle in it (64 oz).

Quick Reply: Switching from MDX to Q5