Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

TDI owners - droning/humming noise on light acceleration?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TDI owners - droning/humming noise on light acceleration?

I have been noticing a slight humming / droning noise on light acceleration in the past month on my 2014 Q5 TDI with roughly 15k miles on it. I haven't really noticed this before so I'm not sure if it was always there - I think it was not.

The noise is not always there making it hard to track. However, when it is there, it only happens when accelerating lightly and it is more noticeable on the highway when the cabin is quiet. Downshifting does not change the tone of the noise at all, so it doesn't appear to be RPM related. It is also very hard to place but it seems to be coming from the rear (possibly driver rear).

The dealer stated that this is normal and it is the Adblue pump but I'm not sure this is the correct explanation - the noise sounds more like a lower pitch bearing type of noise than a higher pitched whine typical to pumps.

Do any of you TDI guys have the same noise?
Old 10-22-2014, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

I haven't heard anything, and I typically listen for stuff "out of the ordinary"
Old 10-22-2014, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Haven't noticed that sound. Is this pump in the rear by the AdBlue tank? Are we listening forward or rear?
Old 10-23-2014, 01:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Maybe you could record the audio to see if anyone can pinpoint the exact noise your referring to. My Q5 doesn't have a drone or humming which is out of the normal, but the exhaust does have its own drone to it normally while at idle or at steady rpm. Perhaps it could be an exhaust leak or vacuum leak, but usually a vacuum leak would trigger a sensor and the CEL. Without hearing the exact noise it is almost impossible to determine it correctly though.

Last edited by - B -; 10-23-2014 at 01:08 AM.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Went for a drive with a tech and he agreed - it's not the pump. He's thinking possibly tires or something else so they will try rotating first to see if the noise moves. He wasn't too sure it was the tires since the droning does go away (or greatly reduce in volume) as you step off the accelerator - we'll see!

@"Q5 TDI" -> nice username!
Old 10-24-2014, 02:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi

Maybe you should check this threat in Motor-Talk.de (hope you speak german, otherwise use google translate): Starkes Schabgeräusch bei 1.050 U/min bei 3.0 tdi : Audi Q5
Old 10-24-2014, 09:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

This may not help you but.....my TDI has had twice a strange groan and it turns out it was tied to the TDI burning off particulate (or at least that is what they told me). I did not notice anything different with the engine during this time.
Old 10-26-2014, 03:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I posted a thread about this a couple weeks ago. I have the same noise on a '13 3.0T. I notice it most on warmer days once the drivetrain is up to operating temp. The dealer says they're not sure what it is but all agree it's not normal. They've tried a bunch of stuff. Swapped tires + wheels, then exhaust, then said we don't know and got Audi Canada involved. The rep decided to replace centre diff which didn't work and now it's going on for a new transmission tomorrow. I really don't think that's the culprit but we will see.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Not that I've noticed
Old 10-27-2014, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Based on everyone's reply and following up with a service tech on a drive, it doesn't look like it's TDI related.

It actually sounds exactly like jmmdm's issue (sorry, didn't see your thread earlier):

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...peeds-2872482/

Quick Reply: TDI owners - droning/humming noise on light acceleration?