Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Tire, Rim and Chip insurance

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 07:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire, Rim and Chip insurance

When I bought my Q5 last year, I got talked into buying the tire and rim insurance as well as the paint ding/leather ripping insurance. Giving it more consideration, I'm thinking of cancelling both - for a few good reasons I should have thought of before I bought them.
I have been driving over 40 years and have never destroyed a rim, however I have had a nail/screw pierce my sidewall a few years ago (09 Q5) and had to get a new tire. Chips? A very few, but I am thinking of getting the XPEL soon. If my windshield chips (also on my 09 Q5) I now have full glass coverage with my insurance company. Leather tearing? Never had that happen.
To those who have bought the supplemental insurance - regrets or happy with the decision? To those who passed, why?

Bob
Old 08-27-2014, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Festoolbob
When I bought my Q5 last year, I got talked into buying the tire and rim insurance as well as the paint ding/leather ripping insurance. Giving it more consideration, I'm thinking of cancelling both - for a few good reasons I should have thought of before I bought them.
I have been driving over 40 years and have never destroyed a rim, however I have had a nail/screw pierce my sidewall a few years ago (09 Q5) and had to get a new tire. Chips? A very few, but I am thinking of getting the XPEL soon. If my windshield chips (also on my 09 Q5) I now have full glass coverage with my insurance company. Leather tearing? Never had that happen.
To those who have bought the supplemental insurance - regrets or happy with the decision? To those who passed, why?

Bob
I passed on tire after calculating the cost vs. the exclusions. I think it was the right decision BUT I have the 18' tires which aren't as wide as some of the larger wheels AND unlike my BMW they aren't run flats so they can be patched (the wheel & tire paid for itself on the X5)

I didn't have a glass option offered to me & the upholstery option I just glanced over

Ding protection I did get (after they reduced the price twice) and will use because I drive a LOT (25k+ a year) and get door dings that I then pay to have them removed because I can't stand the sight of a door ding
Old 08-28-2014, 02:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Don't forget, dealers make their number ($$) with those side products, such as wear and tear insurances etc....They try to scare you so you buy those crazy priced insurances.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:29 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Myles123
Don't forget, dealers make their number ($$) with those side products, such as wear and tear insurances etc....They try to scare you so you buy those crazy priced insurances.
Yup. And their markup on these things is insane.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

we purchased the door ding coverage and last week at the grocery store my wife got a ding.... I told her a million times to not park where everyone else parks but she never believed me. I will be calling the dealer to schedule this service to remove the ding. I am waiting for them to say "that is not covered" but from what i can tell it should be.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Myles123
Yup. And the dealers know that the best time to pitch these programs at the time of purchase. Most of us, if given the time to think them over, would eventually pass.

I think it was C&D, or CR who said the main thing they protect is the dealerships bottom line. It may not be that bad but they are very profitable for them but if they give peace of mind not all bad.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I've never purchased the tire, glass, or door ding and in fact my finance guy was anxious to leave on a Friday night and only told me about audi care for maintenance.

I did read a little about the door ding and wondered what does it really cover??? I definitely get annoyed with door dings, marks, or scratches. I am
Most disturbed by the dings/dents that front but mainly rear bumpers get.

Does the door dings cover scratches and dents on the bumper, side, good etc... How about rocks that might chip at the hood from highway driving etc...

What is a rough estimate for this coverage?

Our second car is a Subaru crosstrek and they says it is about $75 for two door dings to be popped back our on the Subaru. I'm assuming similar process and cost?

Doesn't insurance cover small cracks to from glass? Although I would likely be to scared to report it in fear they will hike my premiums?

Any opinions or answers to my questions above would be appreciated.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In hind-sight, I'm not entirely please with all of the shiznat I was sold, which brings me to my question: Is cancelling it even an option? Would it be pro-rated even though it was never used?
Old 08-28-2014, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SQive
In hind-sight, I'm not entirely please with all of the shiznat I was sold, which brings me to my question: Is cancelling it even an option? Would it be pro-rated even though it was never used?
It depends on the contract. I was talked into some Audi Select coverage and after getting home and having some time to think about it I decided to cancel. If I cancelled within 90 days there was a 100% refund, afterwards it was a pro-rated refund. I had to return the contract to the dealer and give them written notice of cancellation.

As for the original question on wheel and tire insurance. I did not opt for it as the cost of the 20" wheel and tire is not excessively high. On my CTTS I did opt for the wheel, tire, ding insurance. Each wheel and tire is over 5k and the insurance was $1700. With the smaller sidewall, I am betting I will bend at least one rim with a pothole around SF Bay Area.

Also I've already used the insurance twice. Once for when my wife curbed my front wheel and the second time when some kid slammed open her door and dented my rear passenger door at a farmers market. So this insurance has come in handy.

Last edited by HOiYA; 08-28-2014 at 09:18 AM.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

I did buy it. I just used it -- had a bubble driver's side rear.

But here's the catch -- The insurer is not open on the weekends or nights to process a claim. Because of that, I had to cover it and a check will arrive to me in 15 days.

The reason I have it at all is that I have owned 20's before, and with those if you smack a pothole hard, you will probably bend the wheel and/or put a bubble on the sidewall. Each stock 20 is about $1K. Each Pzero is about $400 (dealer price).

That being said, yes, it has massive margin all around, much like insurance on appliances but, in this case, the possible loss of just one wheel and/or two tires is higher than the cost, making it a solid bet if you have 20's and live where I do, in SE PA.

Besides, I may miss the potholes, but my 18 YO son, well............

Truckers have a saying about PA for a reason. There are two seasons here. Winter, and construction. We really do have lousy roads.

Quick Reply: Tire, Rim and Chip insurance