Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

too much heat from panarmic sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any concerns with Crystalline on the pano and the glass cracking horror stories? I'm contemplating 70 on the pano, but I'd really prefer to avoid cracking the glass in the sweltering AZ sun.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I tinted ALL my windows. Including the front wind shield.

For Front and sun roof, I did the lightest Suntek tint available 80%

Specs:
http://www.suntekfilms.com/files/826...t_auto_CXP.pdf

80% VLT blocks 44% of heat.

It makes a huge difference and i rarely ever feel the heat in the car.

I live in Miami so we have very sunny / hot days throughout the year and especially now.

I had the tint put in the day of car delivery, which is now almost 3 years ago with Zero issues.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

thanks, maybe i'll try 3m crystalline tint.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default In the U.S., we have a desire for big sun roof systems..

You don't see this in Europe where solid tops rule - no rattles, no extra weight in exactly the wrong place. I too had a 2010 Q5 3.2 (before the SQ5 was introduced). The big roof rattled and was hot (I am 6'4"). I parked in the garage both at home and at the University, so I always started out with a relatively cool car. I never tried the 3M product but know lot's of folks in SoCal that swear by it. I never warmed up the the Q5 and my dealer bought me out of the lease after 11 months as the car was in such high demand. Took delivery of an A6, then the S-cars.

The SQ5 remains interesting, although from that shared platform, the Macan is the handling champ. Please, Audi, bring us the Avants… S4/S6

Good luck

Eric
Old 07-28-2016, 09:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Dustin Fennell
I live in Southern California and have not noticed this (and my SQ5 is black as well). However, I'm 5'9" so my head might not be as close as yours. You can always have 3M Crystalline tint installed on it. I have that on my MINI (event the front windshield) and it makes a HUGE difference over regular window tint.
Thanks, that's a good idea. What is the a good brand of 3m?
Old 07-28-2016, 09:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

[QUOTE=eric strauss;24839693]You don't see this in Europe where solid tops rule - no rattles, no extra weight in exactly the wrong place. I too had a 2010 Q5 3.2 (before the SQ5 was introduced). The big roof rattled and was hot (I am 6'4"). I parked in the garage both at home and at the University, so I always started out with a relatively cool car. I never tried the 3M product but know lot's of folks in SoCal that swear by it. I never warmed up the the Q5 and my dealer bought me out of the lease after 11 months as the car was in such high demand. Took delivery of an A6, then the S-cars.

The SQ5 remains interesting, although from that shared platform, the Macan is the handling champ. Please, Audi, bring us the Avants… S4/S6

Good luck

Eric[/QUOTE

Have you tried test driving the x3?
Old 07-29-2016, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by eric strauss
You don't see this in Europe where solid tops rule - no rattles, no extra weight in exactly the wrong place. I too had a 2010 Q5 3.2 (before the SQ5 was introduced). The big roof rattled and was hot (I am 6'4")
Eric
Can't help but wonder why car makers of virtually every nationality treat the U.S. market like idiots even though we are often their most important market. Perhaps we are idiots, myself included, for accepting "packages designed for the U.S."
Old 07-29-2016, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by nathanjbrown
Any concerns with Crystalline on the pano and the glass cracking horror stories? I'm contemplating 70 on the pano, but I'd really prefer to avoid cracking the glass in the sweltering AZ sun.

We have a Q7 and have asked a few installers to put tint on the pano roof for us and all have declined due to potential to crack the roof....would LOVE to find someone that would install it, the heat and sun intensity here in AZ is unbearable.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

[QUOTE=iluvmj;24839824]
Originally Posted by eric strauss
You don't see this in Europe where solid tops rule - no rattles, no extra weight in exactly the wrong place. I too had a 2010 Q5 3.2 (before the SQ5 was introduced). The big roof rattled and was hot (I am 6'4"). I parked in the garage both at home and at the University, so I always started out with a relatively cool car. I never tried the 3M product but know lot's of folks in SoCal that swear by it. I never warmed up the the Q5 and my dealer bought me out of the lease after 11 months as the car was in such high demand. Took delivery of an A6, then the S-cars.

Good luck

Eric[/QUOTE

Have you tried test driving the x3?
I haven't yet, but sounds like a good idea… they have a nice stance.

Eric
Old 07-29-2016, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Impressions from a friend's X3 after a number of years: It may becompetitive, but look closely, it is not superior. Clear the load floor, lower the spare tire, now go under the car to release it. About as convenient as an old pickup truck. Battery in the rear, but under the hood? An empty battery box on the firewall. Hmmm.

And instead of the driver's knee turning off the headlights, the passenger's knee can break off or collapse the cupholder that's in the AC vent.

Plus scores of rattles, rear hatch, roof, rear seat, etc.

Nimble, quick, great brakes...but overall? Like all the reviews have said, "Meh." The engineers have traded their passion for mercury poisoning. BMW really used to do better.

Quick Reply: too much heat from panarmic sunroof