Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Tracking the SQ5

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like fun! What was your top speed on that track? I would guess on my home track that I would be braking from about 135 mph and then downhill from 95 mph. Not sure about the brakes there.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome, thanks for sharing! Did you use the paddles or let it shift itself?

Really glad to hear the brakes and cooling system is up to the task.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by idale
Certainly the big issue with tracking, all the expenses from "consumable" parts (brakes and tires are the big ones). I'd like to get out at some point just to do it once (with the local Audi group), but at the same time I'd rather not chew through my tires and brakes so much.
You can forget about it with the Audi group, at least for now. None of them allow SUV/CUV's. I went with The Driver's Edge, which is here in Texas. I would think there would be other outfits in other states.

Nothing else shows any wear but the tires. The only reason I melted those is because I was driving like a bat out of hell! I could have *****-footed it like some of the other drivers that weren't trailered, but I wanted to know every boundary of this thing. Due to those tires being the weak link, I still don't really know. People couldn't believe it's a 4,200 lb car.

Last edited by SQive; 10-27-2014 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Transfer
Sounds like fun! What was your top speed on that track? I would guess on my home track that I would be braking from about 135 mph and then downhill from 95 mph. Not sure about the brakes there.
It was a fairly tight track. My top speed on the back straight was 105. Only the big V8's could touch that, but they're too slow in the turns (rear-wheel-drive only).

Last edited by SQive; 10-27-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Dave DC
Awesome, thanks for sharing! Did you use the paddles or let it shift itself?

Really glad to hear the brakes and cooling system is up to the task.
In my regular daily driving, I use the paddles. On the track, the Sport-mode did a better job than I could have. There's just too much going on...too many rules and signals, blind hills, and late apexes to deal with shifting. Remember, as much as it might disagree (and even prove it), it's not a race car.

Yeah...the tires were the only wear item. I melted them, but the brakes, temperature, and everything else never wandered from normal. As I said, it impressed ME.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Great post, SQive. Next time you have to put the roof racks on and throw a kayak or a bike on top to show people what's what!
Old 10-28-2014, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SQive
You can forget about it with the Audi group, at least for now. None of them allow SUV/CUV's. I went with The Driver's Edge, which is here in Texas. I would think there would be other outfits in other states.
Not ACNA, my local Audi group (Texas Audi Group). If we put anything together it'd be inclusive of whoever we had who was interested in going, so unless there were issues on the logistical side for including CUVs (track restrictions, huge extra costs, etc.) then we'd allow me to go (assuming I wanted to).
Old 10-28-2014, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Oh...you're in Texas. Looking on the map, it appears the Pflugerville is near Austin. Check out COTA, which is the Austin track, and see what events they have coming up. Also check out thedriversedge.net. They run at COTA too. It was $315 for the whole weekend, and it was worth every penny. We spent a lot more time on the track than in the classroom, but the classes were fun too. They book up fast, but sometimes Rick can get you on standby. That's how I got in so soon. The Driver's Edge is a great outfit and anyone who gets a spot will really enjoy themselves. COTA stands for Circuit of the Americas.

Last edited by SQive; 10-28-2014 at 09:29 AM.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SQive
Oh...you're in Texas. Looking on the map, it appears the Pflugerville is near Austin. Check out COTA, which is the Austin track, and see what events they have coming up. Also check out thedriversedge.net. They run at COTA too. It was $315 for the whole weekend, and it was worth every penny. We spent a lot more time on the track than in the classroom, but the classes were fun too. They book up fast, but sometimes Rick can get you on standby. That's how I got in so soon. The Driver's Edge is a great outfit and anyone who gets a spot will really enjoy themselves. COTA stands for Circuit of the Americas.
I guess they got the issues worked out with CotA, last I knew CotA had been cancelling a ton of scheduled events (I think due to newer restrictions on track use, don't remember the specifics). Though CotA's a bit of a special case since it's experienced-only and fees are especially high ($915, I'm sure almost all going to CotA itself). Obviously if you can qualify and have the funds, it'd certainly be something to do at least once, though!
Old 10-29-2014, 12:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

I just remembered a question I meant to ask.
The SQ5 came with a tow-ring, but there's nowhere to screw it in.
I RTFM and it showed what must have been a non-S bumper.
There is no hole in mine there.
Does anyone with an SQ or S-Line know where that thing goes?
(Not that I would ever need it or anything.)

Quick Reply: Tracking the SQ5