Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Transmission Mount Insert

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone, I have been reading the forums for a few months while I was searching for a new car. I totally missed this problem.

I got tired of waiting for the new Murano to come in the way I wanted it so Sunday I went to look at the Audi Q5. I drove it and really liked it. There wasn't any shuddering on the test drive or the next few days. Yesterday I stopped at a red light and when I started to go it felt like the transmission clunked and then shook really fast.

The next two stops were fine and on the next stop it did it again. This is a really something isn't right feeling. Today I took my wife for a ride and again it was fine for a few lights and then it happened. She already isn't that happy that I would buy a $53,000 car and now she is afraid it is going to break down.

I plan on taking it back to the dealer tomorrow and have them check it out. I really can't believe that everyone that buys a new Audi has this issue.

I have been slowly learning the features on the car and then this happens. I hope that I'm overreacting and the dealer can fix it.

Mike
Old 01-02-2015, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by miketosea
Hi everyone, I have been reading the forums for a few months while I was searching for a new car. I totally missed this problem.

I got tired of waiting for the new Murano to come in the way I wanted it so Sunday I went to look at the Audi Q5. I drove it and really liked it. There wasn't any shuddering on the test drive or the next few days. Yesterday I stopped at a red light and when I started to go it felt like the transmission clunked and then shook really fast.

The next two stops were fine and on the next stop it did it again. This is a really something isn't right feeling. Today I took my wife for a ride and again it was fine for a few lights and then it happened. She already isn't that happy that I would buy a $53,000 car and now she is afraid it is going to break down.

I plan on taking it back to the dealer tomorrow and have them check it out. I really can't believe that everyone that buys a new Audi has this issue.

I have been slowly learning the features on the car and then this happens. I hope that I'm overreacting and the dealer can fix it.

Mike
Well I got up early this morning to test the car before I took it in. I found out that I had pushed that button that turns the car off when you stop. The car runs perfect again. I will keep my negative thoughts to myself until I'm sure something is wrong with the car.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I got up early this morning to test the car before I took it in. I found out that I had pushed that button that turns the car off when you stop. The car runs perfect again. I will keep my negative thoughts to myself until I'm sure something is wrong with the car.
Yes, it helps to read the owner's manual.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another crisis averted by RTFM!
I will keep my negative thoughts to myself until I'm sure something is wrong with the car.
You could share your positive thoughts as well.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I totally missed this problem.
Yesterday I stopped at a red light and when I started to go it felt like the transmission clunked and then shook really fast.

Mike
When I first read that post, I immediately thought about the Start/Stop feature, but didn't want to insult anyone's intelligence. I have that feature on another European make car I own and it drives me insane. I understand the premise behind it, but to me it seems like it would put more wear and tear on the starter, etc...I disable it every time I get into the car. Glad you figured it out.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by philmil99
When I first read that post, I immediately thought about the Start/Stop feature, but didn't want to insult anyone's intelligence. I have that feature on another European make car I own and it drives me insane. I understand the premise behind it, but to me it seems like it would put more wear and tear on the starter, etc...I disable it every time I get into the car. Glad you figured it out.
Thanks, and good luck with your new car. I'm sure you will love it. I have read the manual, I just have to retain what I read.

Sorry I high jacked your thread.

Mike
Old 01-02-2015, 12:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is no problem. That is what these forums should be used for. A group of enthusiasts coming together to sort out issues. It is easy to say read the manual, but if you know a possible solution to said problem, then offer up the advice and help out. You'll never hear me try to burn a poster just because they don't know. Hope you enjoy the Audi and the solution will give your wife peace of mind in your choice of vehicle. I can't wait to pick mine up this week.
The following users liked this post:
Spock1234 (01-19-2020)
Old 01-02-2015, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hilld
You are correct, clunk is probably not the correct word, but since that was the OP used, I just ran with it. It is probably a shudder/shaking that you can feel, rather than hear. In any case the mount insert took care of it for me.

Eveyone's opinion will differ, but I am happy with my choice and I am not simply looking for redemption here. I trusted the advice of others before me and am just offering my personal observation.
thanks. I was trying to determine if I was missing something. I only get to drive the car a few miles a week (wife's daily), so it is always "new" to me.

It will be something that I try to pay more attention too. At least I know that there is an easy fix for it
Old 01-02-2015, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Expert

So is this transmission mount the solution to the rough downshift when braking?
Old 01-02-2015, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by philmil99
I understand the premise behind it, but to me it seems like it would put more wear and tear on the starter, etc...I disable it every time I get into the car.
Once you turn it off, it stays off. No need to try to disable it every time you get into the car.

Quick Reply: Transmission Mount Insert