Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

WHAT'S THE FRONT SEAT RAIL BOLT ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
Default WHAT'S THE FRONT SEAT RAIL BOLT ??

I'm planning to add a phone mount on a gooseneck stalk, which installs "clean" by slipping an end under the front p/s seat rail bolt. But as I look at the bolt, it is an "allen" key not a conventional bolt, and it looks like it has many facets, not an ordinary allen key either.

Can anyone tell me what that bolt head is called? Or the correct size and name for that bolt?
Old 05-26-2015, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

M10 triple square socket
Old 05-27-2015, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just removed my seat a couple of weeks ago.

They are called Triple Square bits. I think the size is M10...but don't hold me to it.

The torque when re installing them is 50Nm(thanks Spijun).

V/r
Dan

Last edited by DanMontgomery; 05-27-2015 at 04:22 AM.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks, guys. I did find those one Amazon (where else?!) and the elves are promising I can have a set which will include that.

50Nm...Hmmm...my hands are calibrated in foot-pounds, they are of Colonial manufacture. I'll have to get out the torque wrench for that one.(G)

With 20-20 hindsight, a phone stalk that mounts under the seat rail bolt is just SO much cleaner and more logical than all the other kludges. Having the right "wrenches" will also make it easy for me to tilt back the seat and get an extinguisher hung under there. (Not the factory mini-size one.)
Old 05-27-2015, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Spare power under the p/s front seat?

I'm looking to install a transmitter under the p/s front seat, and thought it would be convenient if there's already an unused (I'm light on options) power lead I could take advantage of there. Something that is fused in the p/s from fuse panel but unused, ideally?

Even a 5A circuit would be enough, although I'd use a heavier one if it was there.

Anyone have any ideas? Maybe pix of what to look for?
Old 05-27-2015, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also triple squares are known as XZN fasteners, if you search online for XZN, you will find lots of hits.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I must go to Audi and take the factory tour. And perhaps, take along a translator, to make sure I don't lose any nuances when they explain to me why it was necessary to use an XZN aka Triple Square bolt instead of a plain hex-head bolt in this application.

Perhaps it makes my car lighter and faster. And discourages any children who might have been locked in the car, from loosening an essential but easily overlooked safety component?
Old 05-27-2015, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If your looking for a power source....maybe look at this thread. He talks about using a factory like wire to tap into the factory fuse box.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...ector-2883106/

I know it is for a radar detector....but it is a good clean way to get a power source.

Than maybe run the wire under the carpet to the passenger seat????

Also, 50 Nm is roughly 37 ft lbs

V/r
Dan
Old 05-28-2015, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

XZN fasteners are used because it allows for better automation. The same reason Torx heads were first used, they were easier to handle in the automated drive bits the robots used, XZN is an improvement on those aspects. The bolt stays pretty well on the bit, especially if magnetic and doesn't wobble around like a hex head does. Also it allows for smaller size heads of the screws.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

hilld-
There are many rationales, some true, some totally bogus, some "it seemed like a good idea at the time", for many fasteners. Smaller screw heads? No, really, an Allen key could use the same size, so there's no savings there. Anyway...inventing a better mousetrap is a totally futile gesture, when there are no mice to be found. Or trapped.
One more style of esoteric bolt to frustrate mechanics? Nah, bad idea regardless of why.
Crazy Glue would attach those seats even faster, cost less, weigh less, work perfectly well and the mechanics could release it just as easily. Now, THAT I could understand.(G)

Dan-
Thanks, I've seen that thread. I was thinking that somewhere in the mess of wiring under the front seat, there was already something I could borrow. I think some of the MMI and cellular electronics options (I have neither) are already pre-wired into that location, so there are wires under the seat, already running back to the fuse box, that are just waiting to be used. With plenty of power, and separate from the other circuits, and no need to fish around under the carpet and run new ones.

Quick Reply: WHAT'S THE FRONT SEAT RAIL BOLT ??