Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Why doesn't Audi include tire rotation in "Audi Care"

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why doesn't Audi include tire rotation in "Audi Care"

Curious as to why Audi does not include tire rotation in the Audi Care package you buy. Have to say I was surprised when I found that out after paying for the service plan on my 2016 Q5.
I assume they take the wheels off to do a thorough inspection of the bakes, why not rotate an the same time? Supposed to be premium vehicles why not premium service?
Even my Ford truck extended service rotates the tires for free.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Because after the first 5K service, tire rotation is not part of the regularly scheduled maintenance. Audi Care only does those items that are listed in the regularly scheduled maintenance book.

Honestly, if you have quattro, the tires wear pretty evenly even without rotation, in my experience. And if you don't have quattro, then waiting every 10K miles to rotate (the normal service interval for Audi) is probably less than ideal, as the wear in pattern may be too great by then. I thought the proper interval to rotate tires is somewhere around 4-5K miles?

Mine currently get rotated whenever I swap between summer and winter wheels.

Last edited by ex-quattro PETE; 02-12-2016 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 225 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
Because after the first 5K service, tire rotation is not part of the regularly scheduled maintenance. Audi Care only does those items that are listed in the regularly scheduled maintenance book.

Honestly, if you have quattro, the tires wear pretty evenly even without rotation, in my experience. And if you don't have quattro, then waiting every 10K miles to rotate (the normal service interval for Audi) is probably less than ideal, as the wear in pattern may be too great by then. I thought the proper interval to rotate tires is somewhere around 4-5K miles?

Mine currently get rotated whenever I swap between summer and winter wheels.
Agree! I have had many Audi Quattro vehicles since 1997 and have never rotated any tires, they all wore evenly. Never had to do an alignment also, and I live in pothole heaven Pennsylvania.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

1. They used to, but it was back in the 80's era.

2. Regardless of rotate or not, do careful inspections. My experience across a bunch of quattros at higher mileages is the front suspension wears first. Then it most commonly starts to chew up front inner tread. If you don't catch it, bye bye even a new set of tires in 5K miles. Ouch. I rotate mine automatically each snow/summer change cycle to keep all four wearing as evenly as possible. So every 4 to 8 K I am staring at them even if not underneath or up close for any other reason. Most Audis I have owned, quattro or not, also wear fronts faster overall. I never want to buy two only, so moving around keeps them even all the way down to run them out to like 2/32 late summer in (dry) CA if timing goes right w/ the seasons. My W12 is an exception for me where it goes more evenly; may have to do with the higher torque and fun factor, even w/ more weight over the front.

3. Do not assume by a wide margin they remove wheels to inspect brakes. In fact, starting with A5 platform which begat Q5, they specifically built an access hole into the Q5 rear calipers to be able to read pad thickness with a tool. And guess what, wheels then stay on...
More generally, a worry with over automating and simplifying labor cost is they then reduce what they really might otherwise see inspection wise. Oil suction is another example--debates aside on whether it is better, worse, same as conventional drain. If a dealer goes that route on the vehicles where the filter has been moved to above (2.0T based ones including my Hybrid as one), it means they are not pulling the belly pan underneath. By my book, the single most valuable diagnostic you can do--more so under warranty--is pull a belly pan. Chances are good if it is leaking any of the fluids, you will see it on the belly pan. Thus, no pull, no wheel removal, no what ever, no chance to spot issues early. See no evil, fix no issue early and before more consequences or owner bears cost post warranty, save warranty cost to manufacturer , ...

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-12-2016 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Had not hought about the potential for even tire wear. First all wheel drive I have owned.

Thanks
Old 02-12-2016, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

FWIW..
I've always bought tires from a local tire shop, wherever I've lived. Sometimes it costs a little more but usually competitive. Plus, dedicated tire shops generally have up to date, calibrated machines.

I tell them upfront...I'll buy the tires and be in every 5-6000 miles. I always get free rotation for lifetime and my current shop balances them free of charge. I also tip them lunch money..
Old 09-12-2016, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Audi where I go they do it every time we come in for our Audicare as a courtesy for customers that pay big bucks for their vehicles and Audicare. What a great way to keep customers happy and at very little cost to them.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by xfirechief
Audi where I go they do it every time we come in for our Audicare as a courtesy for customers that pay big bucks for their vehicles and Audicare. What a great way to keep customers happy and at very little cost to them.
That is a nice dealer touch!
Old 09-12-2016, 11:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Audi does not remove your wheels during 'service inspection' unless its part of the scheduled maintenance. I brought my Q5 in for a brake check 5000km after a service, where they identified uneven brake wear. When I questioned why this wasn't picked up in the 'inspection' on the last service, the service manager stated that Audi does not require the wheels to be removed however when he was manager at VW, wheel removal was always required for inspections.

So, same company, more service is given at VW level than Audi level, even though you've paid much more. Now I request they provide a mm measurement for each brake pads on inspections, this way they have to remove the wheels and inspect thoroughly.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

It is not necessarily a good thing to rotate if not needed.