Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

wind shield crack

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

safelite. call them now.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

@B thanks! I'm pleased with the results and I even think the owner / technician thought it turned out well. He was initially concerned with the ding being "small" but potentially deep. The end results is easily 99% better and as you said due to the location which is not visue at all when driving or even sitting in the passenger seat will likely make this a non issue at least for now!

Hoping to not have any issues this winter as we likely will dip above freezing if raining or below 32 degrees if clear!

Great piece about CA paying 44 billion due to pour roads!

Originally Posted by - B -
Looks much better. It's only somewhat noticeable, but considering its location, you should probably be fine from getting a ticket. The only thing you may want to watch out for is when we get some cooler temps in the next few months. Especially after using the front defroster because the heating of the glass mixed with the outside cooler temperatures may cause it to worsen over time. However, for the moment your golden.

I'm glad it worked out for you.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got a crack in my Toyota's windshield when it was new. I paid $45 out-of-pocket and 15 minutes later it was done. You can still see it if you're looking for it, but I now have three more cracks in the windshield. All have spread except for that original, repaired one. Temperatures have not affected it at all. The largest crack goes horizontally from the center of the windshield to the passenger side. It just passed a safety inspection because in Texas, you're alright so long as it's not directly in front of the driver. However, I will be replacing it before next year's safety inspection as I expect it will grow by then. My point is, the repair I had done was quick, cheap, and never grew. Regarding the insurance thing...yes, they will raise your premium whenever you make a claim. One time I just called about a piece of metal that fell of a truck and hit the pillar right next to the windshield. I decided not to fix it, but just for calling them, they increased my premium, even though it was (according to them) a $0 claim. Needless to say, I dropped Met faster than a [insert appropriate metaphor here].
Old 09-21-2014, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

" I was told some windows might have some electrical inclusion and might impact the defrost of the car?"
Typically Lincoln Mercury and some other older luxury cars. They had a 110VAC (?) alternator added and an electrically heated windshield, aircraft technology. The windshield has a purple-gold color to it when you look at it, they are fairly easy to recognize and fairly rare because of the expense, from what I've seen.

Over the years I've had a number of windshields replaced and found that SafeLite did as good or as bad a job as any dealer does. They are franchises, the local shop varies and the glass quality has been 100% OEM quality regardless of the source. Your insurer or shop can tell you if that ping can be fixed, or you need a replacement. IF you need a replacement, regardless of who does it, you want to see for yourself that they have properly cleaned the body AND FULLY REPRIMED IT before they seat the new glass. If they miss a spot with the priming, it can rust out, push up on the glass, and break the new windshield. I've had that happen, and had to go to SafeLite's corporate HQ to get the roof fixed and the glass replaced under their warranty terms. (But they did make good on it.)
Easier to eyeball the work when it is being done, because everyone is in a hurry when they "paint" and then the job is neatly out of sight.