Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Is it worth getting Opticoat Pro / Cquarts coating for new Q5

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 01:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
That doesn't make sense. Ceramic paint protection coatings are applied on top of film. If you go with Xpel Ultimate, it has the same clear coat layer as the car's paint. Having paint protection underneath film negates it's purpose not to mention the film may not adhere properly over the long haul. I would be wary of a detailer that doesn't know this.
I did some more research and I agree with you, it would be a waste off the coating to put that first if it will be covered by the film anyway !!
Old 08-25-2016, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

My installer in the Boston area is one of the top 10 custom detailers in the U.S. He would shake his head at your installers recommendation to install the film over a coating.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My installer in the Boston area is one of the top 10 custom detailers in the U.S. He would shake his head at your installers recommendation to install the film over a coating.
Snagitseven, I hear you.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Got the quote for xpel ultimate from one of the reputed !!
What's the options I should go for and are the price reasonable?
Will get Opti-Coat Pro + done after xpel
Below price are in Canadian $
2017 Audi Q5(Non S-Line)
Complete Headlights - $200
Partial Hood & Fender(Extended 24”) - $495
Complete Hood - $645
Complete Front Fenders - $795
Front Bumper - $595
B-Pillars - $200
Partial Trunk Lip - $180
Old 08-26-2016, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

As to the Xpel (I assume it's the Xpel Ultimate film), I would recommend a full front including hood and fenders, bumper and headlights. A bouncing rock will not care about a partially covered area and you will be pretty upset if you get a chip beyond the film coverage. Not to mention seeing the edges. I think you meant the A pillars and not the B pillars (which wouldn't really need to have film). A small piece on the rear bumper over the load area of the trunk is all that's needed - they should toss that in. Also consider adding the rocker panels. If you go full front, be sure if they wrap the hood and fender edges to ensure there will be no visible seams. Finally, ask to be sure they will also Opti-Coat the wheels. It really helps to keep brake dust down and much easier to clean.

The total you show would be about $2500 CDN for everything. In US dollars that's about $1900 which is not at all out of line for Xpel Ultimate full front, A pillars, rear deck and Opti-Coat Pro Plus including full paint prep. See if they'll toss in the rocker panels.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

As to the Xpel (I assume it's the Xpel Ultimate film), I would recommend a full front including hood and fenders, bumper and headlights. A bouncing rock will not care about a partially covered area and you will be pretty upset if you get a chip beyond the film coverage. Not to mention seeing the edges. I think you meant the A pillars and not the B pillars (which wouldn't really need to have film). A small piece on the rear bumper over the load area of the trunk is all that's needed - they should toss that in. Also consider adding the rocker panels. If you go full front, be sure if they wrap the hood and fender edges to ensure there will be no visible seams. Finally, ask to be sure they will also Opti-Coat the wheels. It really helps to keep brake dust down and much easier to clean.

The total you show would be about $2500 CDN for everything. In US dollars that's about $1900 which is not at all out of line for Xpel Ultimate full front, A pillars, rear deck and Opti-Coat Pro Plus including full paint prep. See if they'll toss in the rocker panels.

Hi snagitseven, Appreciate your input.
the detailer has quoted B pillar and not A pillar !! Also the price are just for Xpel Ultimate as this guys just do PPF I got a separate quote for Opti-Coat Pro Plus as $ 1300 he is doing all season Rims and winter tire rims too!!

Last edited by BimalG; 08-26-2016 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Well, looking back at what I paid for the Xpel four years ago for full front, headlights, side mirrors, A pillars, rocker panels and a piece on the rear bumper it was $1700 U.S. so upon reflection, your prices for the Xpel alone aren't out of line at about $2400 CDN.
The Opti-Coat Pro Plus price at $1300 CDN is about $980 U.S., actually a fair price if it includes the Plus coat.

BTW, it's the A pillar that's exposed to rock chips and needs the film protection, not the B pillar which faces out to the side. Ask your installer, where he thinks a rock tossed up by a followed truck is likely to hit.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I read this thread with interest. I am about to go from a 2014 SQ5 to a 2017 SQ5 (waiting for delivery). The dealer's product is a Simoniz. In his e-mail to me yesterday he wrote, "Simoniz is a glasscoat sealant that is applied to the exterior and interior of the vehicle. This product is applied to the car one time and seals in the paint. With this product you never have to wax the car and it does come with a LIFETIME guarantee. The Simoniz company has been producing protective coatings on their cars for over 100 years. Simoniz will preserve the finish of your paint and interior for many years to come with no reapplication needed for 7 years." The price for this product is $1,800 (USD). Does anyone know the differences if any between this product & those discussed in this thread? Does the price sound reasonable? I'm not sure how this product pertains to the "interior" of the car. Much thanks for your help!
Old 09-23-2016, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam05
I read this thread with interest. I am about to go from a 2014 SQ5 to a 2017 SQ5 (waiting for delivery). The dealer's product is a Simoniz. In his e-mail to me yesterday he wrote, "Simoniz is a glasscoat sealant that is applied to the exterior and interior of the vehicle. This product is applied to the car one time and seals in the paint. With this product you never have to wax the car and it does come with a LIFETIME guarantee. The Simoniz company has been producing protective coatings on their cars for over 100 years. Simoniz will preserve the finish of your paint and interior for many years to come with no reapplication needed for 7 years." The price for this product is $1,800 (USD). Does anyone know the differences if any between this product & those discussed in this thread? Does the price sound reasonable? I'm not sure how this product pertains to the "interior" of the car. Much thanks for your help!
$1800 for simoniz glasscoat is insane. We had glasscoat on our VW EOS and it lasted 2 years. I replaced it with OptiCoat and couldnt be happier (for $750).
Old 09-23-2016, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

There is no paint protection that "lasts a lifetime" and warranty claims are mostly worthless - all of that is marketing BS. Depending on the brand and coating type, they can last from 3 to 6+ years or so without a refresh. Simonize is not one of the quality brands you will see discussed here in the forums.
The top companies known for a ceramic coating are Opti-Coat Pro/Plus, Ceramic Pro 9H/CP Light and CQuartz. The first two will last longer than the latter and generally cost more to have professionally applied.

You can have a pro detailer properly prep your paint and apply one of these products for between $500 and $1200 depending on brand and layers of protection. $1800 for any paint protection is excessive but understandable if purchased from the Audi dealer - as a middleman they will want to make a nice profit at your expense.

Don't buy anything offered by the dealer - find a pro installer that works with one of the aforementioned brands. Also consider Xpel Ultimate film on your front end to prevent rock chips.

Last edited by snagitseven; 09-25-2016 at 07:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Is it worth getting Opticoat Pro / Cquarts coating for new Q5