Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

xm traffic?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default xm traffic?

When I bought my q5 three months ago I had a Sirius XM subscription on my old car..I got the 90 day freebie from Audi which included XM traffic. Now that the 90 day plan expired I am back to my original plan (didn't have traffic ability on the hardware of the old car)…and the Audi no longer shows traffic..

I read somewhere that Audi covered 4 years of XM traffic..Is that correct? How do i get it reactivated? I had to call XM to get the radio part working again..I asked about traffic and they said I can't get it..Which makes no sense…
Old 07-01-2015, 09:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,067 Likes on 741 Posts

Yes, you get a 4 year trial for SiriusXM traffic. Did you move your radio to another account or what exactly did you do? You can ask SiriusXM to merge your accounts, but if you move the radio to another account you'll lose the SiriusXM traffic trial. I've heard that folks in similar situations were able to get it back by calling AoA.

EDIT: Forgot to mention. When I merged my accounts the SiriusXM traffic trial was replaced with a regular annual subscription, but SiriusXM gave me a credit on my account equivalent to the remaining free time and than some.

Last edited by superswiss; 07-01-2015 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Keep in mind Sirius Traffic and Sirius Radio are completely separate subscriptions. If you just bought a new Q5 (not pre-owned) the 4 year free Sirius traffic should have been automatic. It would have nothing to do with your old car's subscription nor the 3 month Sirius radio free trial. If that was the case, call Sirius to straighten it out.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ok AoA says the free trial was only for 90 days (radio and traffic). They said it used to be 4yrs but not now..

SXM says they never provided the traffic..must have been from 'someone else' (OnStar etc). They can't activate it since it 'isn't theirs'

I'm feeling like I am getting the run around
Old 07-02-2015, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Well, if AoA says that it's no longer a 4-year trial subscription, then I guess that's what it is. Not sure when that changed. I know it used to be 90-days, then starting with MY2013 it went to 4-years and I guess now it's back down to 90-days.

In that case you'll just have to get a new traffic subscription added to your SiriusXM account. I'm not sure what SiriusXM is talking about regarding never having provided traffic. I've noticed with SiriusXM, they don't seem to be able to tell what subscriptions you had in the past, especially if they were trial subscriptions. They can only tell you what you have now. The only sure way would have been to login in to your account online and see what you actually had before it expired. It's too late now.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SJGQ5
Ok AoA says the free trial was only for 90 days (radio and traffic). They said it used to be 4yrs but not now..

SXM says they never provided the traffic..must have been from 'someone else' (OnStar etc). They can't activate it since it 'isn't theirs'

When did you purchase your car? I have a 2015 as well and took delivery at the end of March, and my subscription info on Sirius says a four-year complimentary trial.
Attached Images  
Old 07-02-2015, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by SJGQ5

AudiUSA Q5 page says 4 year subscription to XMSirius Traffic. 2015 Audi Q5: Crossover - Price - Specs | Audi USA

Can't believe this has changed for the 2015 Q5. Bad info.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

AoA probably gave you the info for the A3/S3 and 2016 A/S/RS6/7. SiriusXM no longer provides traffic data for the 4G MMI. It's coming via Inrix and the LTE connection now.

I would try your dealer and AoA again. I did European Delivery and by the time my car arrive in the US, my radio trial subscription was already expired. Audi was able to restart the 90-day trial for me after I complained.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by riceboy22
When did you purchase your car? I have a 2015 as well and took delivery at the end of March, and my subscription info on Sirius says a four-year complimentary trial.
I took delivery March 31 2015..The oddest part of this whole thing is I can't even add traffic if I was to pay for it...something if really wrong here.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
AoA probably gave you the info for the A3/S3 and 2016 A/S/RS6/7. SiriusXM no longer provides traffic data for the 4G MMI. It's coming via Inrix and the LTE connection now.
My 2015 S3 gets traffic info from SiriusXM as far as I know, and the 2015 S3 AudiUSA webpage says 4 year SiriusXM subscription. Yes, the 2016 A6 does say INRIX traffic.

Quick Reply: xm traffic?