Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Xpel pricing

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Festoolbob
Install:

Not all installs are created equal. It's like saying, I bought a car. Well, did you buy a $20K Kia, or a $120K Tesla? Both will get you from Point A - Point B, but the latter does it in a completely different manner. It's all the in the details. A proper install takes time. The film may need to be customized to wrap around certain body panels to make for a seamless install. The skill of the installer is crucial as the film needs to be trimmed by hand. Last thing you want is someone cutting the film with a blade and also cutting the paint due to inexperience. Trust me...we see it all the time. Also, some shops do a pre-cut install and you have exposed edges of the film. Over time, the exposed edges will attract dirt, accumulate wax/polish, etc. This means you'll have to re-apply the clear film sooner down the road. Shops that do semi-custom/custom will demand a premium as the install will be cleaner and more precise. For the most part, the more invisible the install, the higher the cost.
This is the biggest factor. When choosing an installer, price should not be the only factor. Don't be afraid to ask to inspect some of the work. It doesn't matter how good the film is if the install is crap.

While not a Q5, here is a thread that covers a bad install:

Bad Clear Bra Install
Old 08-26-2014, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

And for those who say why do I need a full paint correction when I just picked up a new car.

Dealership attacks a brand new 2014 Audi S4!

Pick up your car during the day!
Old 08-27-2014, 01:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Festoolbob
Well, XPEL is a protective film, OPTI is a clear coat. To me, I prefer to have the film protecting against slight pings and dings and slight scratches that are easily picked, actually almost unavoidable, living and driving in NE NJ - NYC. I may get the OPTI later though.

B
Thanks Bob. Let me know if you find a good detailer to install the xpel in NE NJ. Maybe they will offer a discount if we both have it done!
Old 08-27-2014, 07:16 AM
TTG
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HOiYA
And for those who say why do I need a full paint correction when I just picked up a new car.

Dealership attacks a brand new 2014 Audi S4!

Pick up your car during the day!
+1 This is very important.

I usually request dealer not to prep the car and it usually goes in for a 3 day full detail right after delivery........then for film install.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TTG
+1 This is very important.

I usually request dealer not to prep the car and it usually goes in for a 3 day full detail right after delivery........then for film install.
My car is scheduled for delivery in October. I plan to take it directly to the detailer for Xpel clear bra and Opti-Coat. My chosen detailer told me to do exactly what TTG said, "Do not let the dealership do anything to the car, do not let them prep the car, do not let them unwrap the car. Tell them to leave all of the plastic, etc., in place and not touch it."

He said, "Did you buy the car from XYZ dealership?" When I said I did, he said that dealership, in particular (and we have many Audi dealerships in the Bay Area), is terrible in terms of how they screw up brand new cars when "prepping" or "detailing" them for customer pick-up.

Just sayin'.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by metta
My car is scheduled for delivery in October. I plan to take it directly to the detailer for Xpel clear bra and Opti-Coat. My chosen detailer told me to do exactly what TTG said, "Do not let the dealership do anything to the car, do not let them prep the car, do not let them unwrap the car. Tell them to leave all of the plastic, etc., in place and not touch it."

He said, "Did you buy the car from XYZ dealership?" When I said I did, he said that dealership, in particular (and we have many Audi dealerships in the Bay Area), is terrible in terms of how they screw up brand new cars when "prepping" or "detailing" them for customer pick-up.

Just sayin'.
Which dealer did you end up ordering your Q5 from? Mine was actually a car swap between Audi Oakland and Audi Beverly Hills. I was surprised that there wasn't more marring than there was. Did you end up deciding on Auto Concierge for the Xpel/Opti-Coat?
Old 08-27-2014, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Spent about $168 to opticoat myself with about 2hrs. work
Straight from the dealer - hand wash - prep polish - apply opti-coat
Easiest part was actually the opti-coat application.
Might be worth considering if the car arrives in decent condition.

Supplies:
DA orbital from harbor freight - 68.00 on sale
DP Prep Polish - 20.00
Lake Country pad (white) - 10.00
opti-coat 2.0 - 60.00
bottle of car wash - 10.00
Old 08-28-2014, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HOiYA
Which dealer did you end up ordering your Q5 from? Mine was actually a car swap between Audi Oakland and Audi Beverly Hills. I was surprised that there wasn't more marring than there was. Did you end up deciding on Auto Concierge for the Xpel/Opti-Coat?
@HOiYA: Yes, I am going to Bob. Talked to him (the day your wife's Q5 was there for Opti-Coat. He said, "I've got a Q5 here right now.") and he is the one who gave me that advice. Seems like a super nice guy who really knows his stuff. Excited to have him give my Q5 a good start in life.

I bought my car from Stevens Creek. It's been a good experience so far, but I won't want to take any chances with my car's finish being damaged, so will take Bob's advice and not have them prep or unwrap. It seems that Bob's done work on a lot of cars that have been purchased on Stevens Creek "auto row" and said that Stevens Creek BMW is even worse than Audi when it comes to screwing up brand new cars while prepping them for pick up.

My Q5 production week is next week . . . AWESOME!
Old 08-28-2014, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by metta

Just sayin'.
Who are you planning to have install the Xpel? I'm buying from Stevens creek as well, but live in Fresno. No Xpel dealers here though.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Nick3753
Who are you planning to have install the Xpel? I'm buying from Stevens creek as well, but live in Fresno. No Xpel dealers here though.
He's going with Bob @ Auto Concierge. He is one of the best in the SF Bay Area.

Quick Reply: Xpel pricing