Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Yards = Feet in Voice Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yards = Feet in Voice Navigation

I bought my 2014 Q5 2.0 April 2014. Early on we noticed the Navigation system speaks in Yards when it should be feet. For the most part I'm now used to it and change my thought process, but it's still disconcerting.
For example, it will tell me to make a right turn in "100 yards" when in fact the upcoming turn is 100 feet. That's not a lot of time even at 30 MPH. Our dealer had no fix, and we even contacted Audi and they too have no fix, nor any planned fix.
Not sure if the "miles" is accurate; so when it says next exit in 2 miles whether that is in fact accurate. Anyone else get a solution for this?
Old 04-04-2015, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

i have a 2014 as well. I'll check that....I have a suspicion that distances on the Nav are in Kms on my Cdn car but that whatever those short distances to the turning are that it does not say metres.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slotriathl8
I bought my 2014 Q5 2.0 April 2014. Early on we noticed the Navigation system speaks in Yards when it should be feet. For the most part I'm now used to it and change my thought process, but it's still disconcerting.
For example, it will tell me to make a right turn in "100 yards" when in fact the upcoming turn is 100 feet. That's not a lot of time even at 30 MPH. Our dealer had no fix, and we even contacted Audi and they too have no fix, nor any planned fix.
Not sure if the "miles" is accurate; so when it says next exit in 2 miles whether that is in fact accurate. Anyone else get a solution for this?
Yup.... Ive also noticed that the distances are quite a bit exaggerated.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If this turns out to be true, it sure doesn't speak well for German engineering does it.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

The same thing was happening on '13 s4, now on '15 sq5. Wonder if this is fixed on the a3/s3.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

girlfriend was just commenting on this yesterday! very annoying. the navigation in general is very disappointing.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

While I was out driving just now, I checked up on the NAV. Here it's kms and the blue countdown bars work very well in meters. If anything the NAV would tell me its 1km when it is in fact only 800-900m so I have more preparation time.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lawnmore
If this turns out to be true, it sure doesn't speak well for German engineering does it.
Maybe that's because zee Germans know very little about yards and feet as measuring units.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

l8-
I've noticed basically the same problem on every car nav system. Garmin, Google Maps, Magellan...The real answer is, don't be fooled by the numbers. The *system* is not capable of that kind of accuracy, especially while the car is in motion. If you are driving at 40mph, the system needs to be much faster (calculate distance, then speak it, all of which takes time) than it does at 10 mph, and they are just not fast enough for real-time driving in short distances, i.e. under a mile. Or maybe they need xx seconds, regardless of speed, whatever the criteria is.

Yes, a GPS may be accurate to ten feet. But the translation of map addresses to GPS co-ordinates is NOT that accurate. In some places, even major cities, the translation may be off by 1/2 mile or more. Your GPS system knows GPS co-ordinates, but it is still strictly guessing at where those translate on the map.

This is not an Audi problem. This is the same reason that folks blithely drive off ferry loading ramps and docks, thinking there are roads and bridges, when there are not.

Given more time and money, the problem can be whittled down. But right now, as the punch line to the old joke goes, "The miracle is that the dog CAN talk." Not whether the dog is right or wrong, but that it talks at all.

Which still doesn't excuse all the players from being so sloppy about improving their systems.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

I suspect that consumer GPS accuracy is purposely somewhat limited compared to military applications. For good reason with the world as it is these days.

Quick Reply: Yards = Feet in Voice Navigation