Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2.0T Timing Chain Tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.0T Timing Chain Tensioner

I recently purchased my first Audi, 2011 Q5 2.0T. I heard about the problems with timing chain tensioner failure. I currently have 117K on the engine and therefore became worried. Can anyone help me identify the early warning signs? What to listen for, etc before I damage the engine. When should the timing chain get replaced? Also, I did a little research online and I am not clear on the difference between the TSI and FSI engines. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, sorry ahead of time if this has already been posted in AudiWorld, as I am new to AudiWorld.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 225 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by ddjjmm
I recently purchased my first Audi, 2011 Q5 2.0T. I heard about the problems with timing chain tensioner failure. I currently have 117K on the engine and therefore became worried. Can anyone help me identify the early warning signs? What to listen for, etc before I damage the engine. When should the timing chain get replaced? Also, I did a little research online and I am not clear on the difference between the TSI and FSI engines. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, sorry ahead of time if this has already been posted in AudiWorld, as I am new to AudiWorld.
I would get the tensuioner replaced if it was never replaced before. The latest tesioner version seems to be working ok. There is no warning of a tensioner failure, the timing chain skips a few teeth, the pistons hit the valves and trashes the engine, approximately $7K to repair. I saw this happen to a 2009 A4 two months ago. A perfectly nice A4, the owner started it up, it skipped a few teeth and severly damaged the engine. The A4 is now in the salvage yard as it was just too expensive to repair compared to the value of the car.

Last edited by Bob Petruska; 12-10-2016 at 09:08 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You don't mention having your vehicle's service records. As suggested, don't wait on checking the tensioner.
A suggestion is maybe find a quality indepedent shop for repairs.

Here's the maintenance schedule for your Q5.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2011-Audi-Maintenance-Schedule.pdf (720.6 KB, 1337 views)
Old 12-11-2016, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for your help. Any ideas what the cost will be to replace the chain tensioner?
Old 12-11-2016, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 225 Likes on 189 Posts

Thanks for your help. Any ideas what the cost will be to replace the chain tensioner?
With your mileage it would be wise to also replace the timing chain (they do stretch), chain guides, and the water pump.

A guess at cost at the dealer $1500+
Old 12-12-2016, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Good suggestion. $1500 is worth it if the alternative is engine failure. I will make an appointment at the dealer.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Good suggestion. $1500 is worth it if the alternative is engine failure. I will make an appointment at the dealer.
I replaced the tensioners on my Passat 2.0T and my Audi 2.0T. I could not live with the worry of potential failure at anytime. The Passat was at 120K and the Audi at 100K.

I did the work at my VW dealer as I have good relationship with them and I can negotiate the price better. All the parts are the same between the Q5 and the Passat (minus one or two). Total cost was $1800 per car if I remember correctly but I went a little crazy and replaced all three tensioners (lower, upper, oil pump), chains (lower, upper, oil pump), all chain guides, all bolts, the cover, and an extra serpentine belt. The failing tensioner itself is a $50 piece. If you only do the tensioner, I believe you can be under $900 at the VW dealer. Doing all tensioners, chains, and guides added more labor and of course part cost.

My Audi dealer quoted $2400+tax and I am not sure they were changing everything as I asked VW to do.

Last edited by AlouxL; 12-13-2016 at 05:48 AM.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the explanation. I will most likely play it safe as you did and replace everything that can wear. Best time is when it is all opened up. I replaced the timing belt on my Passat 2.6 several years ago, and like you I replaced everything. Thanks again.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the explanation. I will most likely play it safe as you did and replace everything that can wear. Best time is when it is all opened up. I replaced the timing belt on my Passat 2.6 several years ago, and like you I replaced everything. Thanks again.
By the way, keep your receipts. With the class action law suits going on right now about the tensioners failing, we may end up getting some money back in a few years...
Old 12-14-2016, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by AlouxL
By the way, keep your receipts. With the class action law suits going on right now about the tensioners failing, we may end up getting some money back in a few years...
My dealer reports they will goodwill repair vehicles for the tensioner that the condition of the engine and/or maintenance records showed that the car has been maintained. There is an under the radar plan in place. Cars that show that the oil changes have been skipped or sludge from conventional oil not so much. He has not yet seen any failures for cars that have been maintained with many cars at 200K miles or more. If you haven't maintained your car or unsure of the service history of a purchased used car it is a good plan to update the tensioner.
Always save all receipts and record maintenance VW/Audi spec oil and OEM type filter used etc. Scan and keep on your phone.
Audi has been known to reimburse for catastrophic damage after a recall but not as good for preemptive updates.