Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2016 Q5 Radio Volume Resets - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 Q5 Radio Volume Resets - Help!

Audi owners ... could use some help here - please. I've read the owners manual, did some searches, gone through the menus and can't figure out how to keep the radio volume from resetting each time I drive the Q5.

Symptom is simple: I have volume very low when I turn off the Q5. Turn the Q5 back on and volume has increased. I've tried everything to keep this from happening.

Q5 is a loaner while my car is being repaired due to a out of state driver causing a multi car accident. Good guy, just not a good driver.

Anyway, any assistance to resolve this annoying "feature" would be very much appreciated.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 225 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Audistnks
Audi owners ... could use some help here - please. I've read the owners manual, did some searches, gone through the menus and can't figure out how to keep the radio volume from resetting each time I drive the Q5.

Symptom is simple: I have volume very low when I turn off the Q5. Turn the Q5 back on and volume has increased. I've tried everything to keep this from happening.

Q5 is a loaner while my car is being repaired due to a out of state driver causing a multi car accident. Good guy, just not a good driver.

Anyway, any assistance to resolve this annoying "feature" would be very much appreciated.
That's normal, you can go into the MMI and adjust the volume that it defaults to but it will still be fairly high. I don't know why Audi just couldn't set the default startup volume where you leave it.

To reduce the default startup volume lower than what the MMI allows you need a VCDS and recode the radio controller, even then you can only lower the volume so much, but it is more acceptable.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 581 Likes on 487 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
That's normal, you can go into the MMI and adjust the volume that it defaults to but it will still be fairly high. I don't know why Audi just couldn't set the default startup volume where you leave it.

To reduce the default startup volume lower than what the MMI allows you need a VCDS and recode the radio controller, even then you can only lower the volume so much, but it is more acceptable.
Actually IIRC VCDS gives you full adjustability on this--either to enable or defeat the volume adjustment on restart as well as the level. If not in there, then it is in Hidden Menu. BTDT on modern Audi's but it has been a while.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok ... and thank you very much!

Being an engineer myself, I'm embarrassed for my profession when I realize another engineer put into production a feature that is simply stupid. There is zero value to this feature and it's incredibly annoying.

One feature can make or break a customer's view. As Sam Walton once said, the customer can fire an entire company. Audi ... you're fired!

In a slight defense of my profession, I will say that sometimes product owners dictate the feature. However, all the engineer had to do was to put an easy decision into the code, ie volume above default, reset to default ... volume below default, don't reset.

I'll have to replace my '15 Lexus GS since I don't like it being a wrecked car ... but I just crossed off Audi as an option for replacement. Audi engineers should own Lexus vehicles to see how to focus on the customer!

Good luck and thanks again for your time.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine starts up at the same volume as you left it. Unless you left it above 12, in which case it will reduce it to 12 at startup to prevent it from blasting you. Seems like a reasonable design to me.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
Mine starts up at the same volume as you left it. Unless you left it above 12, in which case it will reduce it to 12 at startup to prevent it from blasting you. Seems like a reasonable design to me.
There is a min and max default startup volume (at least on my 2014), depending on where the volume was when you stop the Q5 it picks up either the min or max preset volume.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Actually IIRC VCDS gives you full adjustability on this--either to enable or defeat the volume adjustment on restart as well as the level. If not in there, then it is in Hidden Menu. BTDT on modern Audi's but it has been a while.
Yes, as I stated you can lower the startup volume using VCDS but I have not been able to lower the volume, say to 0, or 1, or 2, using VCDS, I have a 2014.

I'd need to go back and look at the VCDS coding to see what I have set it to, but for me my startup default volume is acceptable...........
Old 02-19-2017, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a min and max default startup volume (at least on my 2014), depending on where the volume was when you stop the Q5 it picks up either the min or max preset volume.
That's not how my 2015 works.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
That's not how my 2015 works.
Well you stated in your previous post that if the volume is above 12, it reduces it to 12 (set max setting in radio controller) on restart. What happens if your reduce your volume to 0 when you restart does it stay at zero, or does it increase to some level (set min setting in radio controller).
Old 02-19-2017, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

OK, quick fix to have no volume at startup. Audio volume is always delayed a few seconds when you first start the Q5. During this dead audio time, immediately after starting (pushing the Start button or pushing the FOB in to start) the car, click the mute button on the steering wheel. There will be 0 volume, you can then raise the volume to your liking, or leave it in mute. This at least prevents that early morning volume blast that you don't want.

Quick Reply: 2016 Q5 Radio Volume Resets - Help!