Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Anyone have a cargo box?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ManWIthAPlan
NICE! How long did it take from order to delivery? I'm trying to gauge as I'm about to pull the trigger, but need it in like 3 days!
It took over 2 weeks from my dealer. I wasn't in any hurry. so I didn't check others for in-stock availability.

I'll send some pictures in a few hours, after I finish some errands.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Here's pictures of my Audi Cargo Box

Originally Posted by ManWIthAPlan
Thank you sir! Great info, and thanks for the link, looks like I may be buying one of these VERY soon. I seem to carry many loose objects often, like baseball bats, gloves, tennis rackets, etc, and I'd love to hide that stuff up in a carrier instead of strewn around in the back. My big worry though is mileage-wise, how much will my mileage suffer, having that thing up there all the time/most of the time. Can you let me know what kind of mileage you're seeing, once you mount it?

Thanks again! Great info! Pics would be super-cool!
Bright sun didn't help the picture exposure, but you can definitely see the size difference relative to the nice Thule box of Toronto-Q5. (NOTE: the 1st two pictures were taken before I moved the box forward ~6 inches)

BTW, it appears that the Thule opens from either side; my Audi box only opens on right side. I drove about 10 miles on freeway, and couldn't feel/hear any effect from the box, but it's tough to compare noise level from memory.

I paid $644 + tax after 20% discount in June Audi promotion.
Attached Images      
Old 07-12-2009, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Update on Audi Carrier

Originally Posted by FASTandSLOW
Bright sun didn't help the picture exposure, but you can definitely see the size difference relative to the nice Thule box of Toronto-Q5. (NOTE: the 1st two pictures were taken before I moved the box forward ~6 inches)

BTW, it appears that the Thule opens from either side; my Audi box only opens on right side. I drove about 10 miles on freeway, and couldn't feel/hear any effect from the box, but it's tough to compare noise level from memory.

I paid $644 + tax after 20% discount in June Audi promotion.
After I balanced carrier fwd/aft on racks and took most of the above pictures, I drove the car with the carrier on a 130 mile trip yesterday. There IS some noticable wind noise above 60 mph, although not objectional to me; it's still quieter than other cars I've been driving over the last 20 years.

I'm going to slide the carrier back a bit towards where I initially installed, and see if I can find a point where the wind flow is cleaner/quieter but still reasonably balanced for weight. I'll report back.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

I purchased the Thule Atlantis 1600 over the weekend. I beleive the measurements are 74', 36", 17". It is just long enough for my skis which is what I will use it for most. I have not installed it yet but when I do I will take some photos.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fonseca_Q5
thanks for the pictures. how is the wind noise on the highway? also, does the box affect the nav or satelite radio?
I don't have nav and I discontinued my satellite radio subscription so I can't say definitively... my box is longer that the other ones mentioned at 84" and it does obscure the antenna from above so I think that this could be an issue.

No complaints about this box otherwise. The wind noise wasn't bad and mileage impact was negligible.

This definitely was a good investment for me -- when I downsized from my last vehicle (XC90), my plan from the beginning was a cargo box to offset the capacity decrease for the few occasions a year when I need it. This Thule packs a lot of gear, functions well (dual side opening is nice to have), and looks good too.
Attached Images   
Old 12-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Radio Reception

Have you noticed any degradation in radio reception, particularly satellite radio reception (which is all I listen to myself)?
Old 12-09-2009, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Toronto-Q5
I don't have nav and I discontinued my satellite radio subscription so I can't say definitively... my box is longer that the other ones mentioned at 84" and it does obscure the antenna from above so I think that this could be an issue.

No complaints about this box otherwise. The wind noise wasn't bad and mileage impact was negligible.

This definitely was a good investment for me -- when I downsized from my last vehicle (XC90), my plan from the beginning was a cargo box to offset the capacity decrease for the few occasions a year when I need it. This Thule packs a lot of gear, functions well (dual side opening is nice to have), and looks good too.

Next time you have your box on the car, can you snap a few pictures from the front?

I'm about to buy the same box and am a little concerned with the slope of the Q5s roof racks (about 2 inches higher front to back).
I'm wondering if the longer boxes look like they're about to launch off the front of the car
Old 12-12-2009, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Audi Q5 and Thule Atlantis 1600

[The Thule Atlantis 1600 looks like a good size for the Q5. Have you had any issues opening the liftgate with the Thule installed on the roof? ]
Old 01-25-2010, 08:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Rightsizing the Cargo Box

Originally Posted by Toronto-Q5

I recently completed a 600 mile trip up to the Northeast US with a Thule Evolution 2100 mounted to the Q5 (more on the 2100 in the next paragraph). I experienced no interference to radio or satellite reception, except for a couple of instances traveling through longer underpasses or tunnels.

Now about the 2100...it measures 92 x 36 x 16.6 inches. Mounted on the adjustable factory spacers, I was unable to attach the cargo box without obstructing the tailgate. I did consider boring additional holes into the box, but complicating matters is that the factory crossbars are of the fixed position variety. Thus, I'm in search of the perfect fit that maximizes load capacity.

Toronto-Q5 (and all others): Thank you for posting the pics of your Atlantis 1800 on this site and others. The black box looks pretty good sitting atop your BB Q5. That will be a tough choice between the black or silver box. Did you encounter any problems in mounting the box to the vehicle? Any issues with clearance for the tailgate? How do you like the QuickGrip feature of the Thule product?
Old 01-26-2010, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by runbird13
Toronto-Q5 (and all others): Thank you for posting the pics of your Atlantis 1800 on this site and others. The black box looks pretty good sitting atop your BB Q5. That will be a tough choice between the black or silver box. Did you encounter any problems in mounting the box to the vehicle? Any issues with clearance for the tailgate? How do you like the QuickGrip feature of the Thule product?
I agree.. the black box looks great on your vehicle. Great photos! I,too, am curious about clearance for the tailgate.

I'm also interested in the smaller box from AoA that FastandSlow has, but I can't quite get my mind around paying the $450- $550 difference between it and what appear to be similar boxes on the Thule site (one is called the Sidekick, can't recall the other). The AoA site doesn't offer any specifications, so it's hard to compare, but they look to be about the same length and volume. Does anyone know what, if any, the differences are?

Quick Reply: Anyone have a cargo box?