Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi now offering cars that can talk to traffic lights in Las Vegas

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Audi now offering cars that can talk to traffic lights in Las Vegas

On the theory that a driver who knows when a red light will turn green is more relaxed and aware, vehicle manufacturer Audi is unveiling this week in Las Vegas a technology that enables vehicles to “read” traffic signals ahead and tell the motorist how long the wait will be.

Audi now offering cars that can talk to traffic lights in Las Vegas - The Globe and Mail

It’s a simple display for the driver — a dashboard traffic signal icon and a timer next to the digital vehicle speed and area speed limit displays already common in newer cars.

The technology behind it is more complex. It uses 4G LTE cellular communication between the vehicle and a centralized traffic management control network— dubbed vehicle-to-infrastructure or “V2I.” Audi offers it through a subscription service not unlike commercial satellite radio. The company calls it “traffic light information.”
Old 12-07-2016, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

This is a good idea. Maybe I will turn on my Start/Stop engine function if I know I will have a wait.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

So, those drivers who can do simple math will know "I have time to do my lipstick but not the blush" or "I have to put the coffee away now." ?

Now, if they integrated that communications into the brakes and gas, so that it forced cars to automatically stop for red lights...heh heh. That would be a safety feature I bet no one would buy.