Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT 3L gas engines

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT 3L gas engines

Lawsuit: Audi used defeat devices in several gas-engined models
CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT ALLEGES AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION SOFTWARE ADJUSTS CO2 OUTPUT

New Audi emission lawsuit claims gasoline models violated regulations

The lawsuit filed by Hagens Berman alleges that several Audi models using the 3.0-liter gasoline engines used software that varied automatic transmission modes to achieve different CO2 outputs under different conditions.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

We do live in a very litigious society! You do know that the only people getting rich in this class action suit are the lawyers, right? Here in North America, gasoline car buyers don't give a hoot as to how much CO2 comes out of the tailpipes. I would understand if this were the UK and EU where CO2 emissions are clearly advertised for every new car whether diesel or gas engine variant.

Lots of law firms out there hunting for game so they can make money. A classic example are lawyers taking advantage of unintentional ADA infractions by small businesses in Florida. They get needy disabled people to survey small business and find anything that fails ADA provisions. Pay them a small fee then file million $$ lawsuits against those small businesses. Watch this news report on 60 minutes: What's a "drive-by lawsuit"? - CBS News

Last edited by plat27265; 12-07-2016 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We need laws in the US that require the plaintiff in a lawsuit to pay the legal fees of defendants and the court costs when they lose one of these bogus lawsuits.

This is nothing more than an attempted money grab.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a supercharged 2+ ton SUV. I think I had to return my ecomentalist card when they gave me the keys.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by tneconni
I bought a supercharged 2+ ton SUV. I think I had to return my ecomentalist card when they gave me the keys.
LOL!
Old 12-08-2016, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by tneconni
+1
Old 12-12-2016, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

How can transmission adjust CO2 emissions? If only by NOT upshifting - but there is a thread nearby complaining of just the opposite
Old 12-12-2016, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That law firm is apparently the auto industry version of the ambulance chasers that advertise on television for low information people to sign up to sue doctors, hospitals, and drug manufacturers.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by asmi84
How can transmission adjust CO2 emissions? If only by NOT upshifting - but there is a thread nearby complaining of just the opposite
Getting into the highest gear possible, as quickly as possible would improve MPG, and likewise reduce CO2. All assuming a real driver didn't give it more throttle to counter the reduced acceleration, I guess.

This whole 3.0T silliness w/CO2 is such a joke
Old 12-20-2016, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BlackSVT
Getting into the highest gear possible, as quickly as possible would improve MPG, and likewise reduce CO2. All assuming a real driver didn't give it more throttle to counter the reduced acceleration, I guess.

This whole 3.0T silliness w/CO2 is such a joke
While I agree to the joke as I see dump trucks spewing way more than my diesel, what is not a joke is that Audi will do a mandatory software update that will detune my engine AND give me less MPG!! WTF!!
Worse, I was told that they will enforce this via the DMVs and emissions testing.
So I paid a premium for an awesome, high torque, high MPG SUV. I for one am glad that in the US the lawyers are forcing VW's hand. The 2.0 guys made out really well and while the lawyers may have got rich, this is one case where the little guy came out ahead.