Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Deciding between a 2013 Q5: Hybrid or Prestige?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 09:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deciding between a 2013 Q5: Hybrid or Prestige?

New to the forum and a shortly to be recovering driver of RX 350s since 2002. Can't take to the new Lexus styling, so test drove everything in the class (inc. F-pace, GLC etc.) and liked Audi best.

I plan on getting a used Q5, and likely trading it in 12-18 months for the new Q5 2018 or 2019 (giving it a bit of time hopefully the first ones of a new model our of a new factory to get any early issues resolved).

I like a loaded car. I have found two 2013 Q5s that I like, both at local dealers, both ~ 45k miles, one is a Hybrid (sticker 32k) and one is a Prestige (sticker 34).

Found the Hybrid had a stiffer steering, less zippy. Wondering if, now that Audi has announced they won't have the same sort of hybrid (only a fully electric) for 2018, whether people think it's still a good bet to buy one of these cars, will the support still be there? This one has only 5 months left on the factory warranty and I need it not to go wrong for 12-18 months.

Found the Prestige light and peppy, not crazy about the color. Will it have a better trade-in than the Hybrid in 12-18 months? Since Hybrids seem a bit on the rare side? I know what Edmunds says but I wonder...

Thanks very much. Great forum. Learned so much in the last few hours, more than in three visits to the dealers and a lot of close reading of reviews.
Old 10-28-2016, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What engine is in the prestige, 2.0 or 3.0?
Old 10-28-2016, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jbbarrette
What engine is in the prestige, 2.0 or 3.0?
2.0T is only available in Premium and Premium Plus trim levels (other than in hybrid form where it's only Prestige-level), so it'd be the 3.0T. So their comparison will basically be the 2.0T hybrid vs. 3.0T as both as Prestige-level vehicles.

With the hybrid being limited-production it's certainly a lot rarer, and there's not a whole lot of good info on them around. MP4.2+6.0 here has a hybrid, though, so you can try hitting him up for his thoughts with having owned one for a couple years now. It's seemed like he's been happy with his, but whether there's any caveats that might apply to your location/situation/whatever, I've no idea.

I'd think the 3.0T would likely have more-general appeal and so may be easier to sell privately when you're done, but if you trade then presumably either would likely be in a similar spot given they'd be a similar age and trim level and those differences tend to get smaller over time.

Either should be a decent choice, though, I'd personally go with whichever vehicle you'd prefer to be in for the next couple of years, and not worry too much about whether one might depreciate more than the other.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by idale
though, I'd personally go with whichever vehicle you'd prefer to be in for the next couple of years, and not worry too much about whether one might depreciate more than the other.
Agreed.

To me the differences in drivetrain/performance were quite noticeable between the hybrid and the 3.0T. And that's what drove our purchasing decision. Gotta decide for yourself which one you like better.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by yaromac
New to the forum and a shortly to be recovering driver of RX 350s since 2002. Can't take to the new Lexus styling, so test drove everything in the class (inc. F-pace, GLC etc.) and liked Audi best.

I plan on getting a used Q5, and likely trading it in 12-18 months for the new Q5 2018 or 2019 (giving it a bit of time hopefully the first ones of a new model our of a new factory to get any early issues resolved).

I like a loaded car. I have found two 2013 Q5s that I like, both at local dealers, both ~ 45k miles, one is a Hybrid (sticker 32k) and one is a Prestige (sticker 34).

Found the Hybrid had a stiffer steering, less zippy. Wondering if, now that Audi has announced they won't have the same sort of hybrid (only a fully electric) for 2018, whether people think it's still a good bet to buy one of these cars, will the support still be there? This one has only 5 months left on the factory warranty and I need it not to go wrong for 12-18 months.

Found the Prestige light and peppy, not crazy about the color. Will it have a better trade-in than the Hybrid in 12-18 months? Since Hybrids seem a bit on the rare side? I know what Edmunds says but I wonder...

Thanks very much. Great forum. Learned so much in the last few hours, more than in three visits to the dealers and a lot of close reading of reviews.
What state do you live in? Affects your warranty point/question.

No surprise to me on no early intro of Hybrid w/ next generation. Common for additional motors beyond the first base/general ones when Audi introduces or redoes a model. Look at Q7, though TDI debacle changed that completely. Same general pattern with the S cars in general too. On Q5, expect to see the gas equivalent of current 2.0T and 3.0T first.

Also expect next Hybrid will be a plug in w/ a lot greater all electric range. Might be a new design too, maybe more Audi specific. Radical version could be the gas one end, electric other a la a variety of things from latest supercars to the more recent RX's. A suspicion I have is that might be seen in D5 A8. D4 A8 Hybrid (only in Europe and China) is a lame FWD only version of Q5, and D5 might leapfrog in Audi flagship trickle down fashion. Current one is really ZF on the mechanicals in many respects and I think similar to what is underneath BMW's Active Hybrids. Audi is more the electronic control side of drivetrain relative to ZF's role.

Used Hybrids are pretty rare, as were new ones to begin with. Apparently demand is up on the used ones, arguably more than when new. All Hybrids are Prestige level, so well equipped no matter what. IIRC correctly, the one thing you cannot get on a Hybrid (at least in 2013) is adaptive cruise relative to the V6 offerings at higher levels. In comparing, also be careful of tire/wheel specifics and other things on each as far as ride and handling. Hard to predict relative go forward trade in values vs. the V6, which is a lot higher volume.

V6 will probably be smoother in throttle change scenarios. The Hybrid is actually higher torque in the 10-12 seconds it kicks in both motor drives; less linear. Hybrid will be the higher MPG one, and already exceeds straight four banger by at least a couple MPG in real world. Wife is primary driver and remains happy w/ it. She looked at RX's at time and a few others at similar mileage/price and general packaging +/- about 9" in length. RX was on list to show her, but it was larger than she wanted, with most of it seeming to be in cargo area.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 10-28-2016 at 08:28 PM.
Old 10-29-2016, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Thanks

Thanks very much guys. Went for the Hybrid in the end. It's not as peppy but I paid attention to what you call said and I think I'll be happier in this car. Loaded up with pretty much everything except, as you say, adaptive cruise.

I'm in MD. How does that impact the warranty? It's under factory warranty for five months (and dealer I bought it from, not an Audi but great place) gave three months of a duplicate coverage. So not CPO but then I didn't pay CPO prices.

One question. I'd read here that taking a little air out of the tires would increase the smoothness of the ride, so asked them to do it. Turns out there's nitrogen in the tires. Take a little of that out?

Now doing more internet research on the most economical package to connect up the MMI/Nav.

Great forum!
Old 10-30-2016, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Congrats, hope the hybrid works out well for you!
Old 10-30-2016, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks very much guys. Went for the Hybrid in the end. It's not as peppy but I paid attention to what you call said and I think I'll be happier in this car. Loaded up with pretty much everything except, as you say, adaptive cruise.

I'm in MD. How does that impact the warranty? It's under factory warranty for five months (and dealer I bought it from, not an Audi but great place) gave three months of a duplicate coverage. So not CPO but then I didn't pay CPO prices.

One question. I'd read here that taking a little air out of the tires would increase the smoothness of the ride, so asked them to do it. Turns out there's nitrogen in the tires. Take a little of that out?

Now doing more internet research on the most economical package to connect up the MMI/Nav.

Great forum!
Congrats.

Tires: First, back up to the recommended pressure. For that do NOT just go by door sticker and assume it must be right. That is the pressure for MAX load, required to be stickered as such since circa 2007 on all vehicles sold in USA courtesy of Ford Explorer and Firestone. Instead, look at the pressures in the tables in owners manual for the tire size you have and go by those. I usually go halfway between the fully load setting and the light load setting, but unless you commonly go wth a a full family worth of passengers (4-5 adults total) and gear, you could go to part load setting and be happier.

What wheels are on yours? Most Hybrids shipped with 19's, but if you have optional 20's it will ride harder. Ask me how I know... If so, you could elect to back off to 19's if you buy those size wheels. Q5 OE 19 wheels are pretty commodity if you will, with others trying to trade to 20 or more.

Warranty. So, it gets into weeds pretty fast, but MD is a good answer here. So you are in what is called a "CARB state"--one that follows the California emissions rules. Basically the west coast and the northeast (pretty broadly defined state wise) are in that group. See: States Adopting California's Clean Cars Standards Then In turn, emissions warranty for anything special is 7/70 (7 years or 70K miles). There is also an intersection to a narrow set of items under extended federal out to 8/80. See: https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/warranty.pdf Make sure you have the warranty related booklet for your Q5--both that it has the Hybrid pages/supplement and the CA related disclosure. What you should find is basically the obscure and expensive hybrid components (the drive and the controller especially) get covered in the longer warranties. In the fine print the main battery pack is also covered a long time (not remembering exactly how long right now). Also know that the dealers are not forthcoming on this stuff in general--you have to ask very specifically about it and have them check against the emissions and CA warranties. Apparently the Audi call center isn't very good on this either, at least again without knowing to press on the CA related emissions provisions in all the applicable states, including MD. And I'm saying this as a longtime knowledgeable owner from here in CA that has had the "long" set of warranty coverage for many years now. Some other board members here have struggled with same points even on straight gas motors--that is how the CA emissions overlay gives a lot more coverage in the "other" CARB states even if they (you) live 3,000 miles away. CARB= California Air Resources Board, the CA EPA counterpart, if you come across the "CARB" nomenclature in warranty discussions.

Further warranty nuance for you to check: I don't know what the warranty would be if a car was first sold in a non CARB state and then resold as used in a CARB state like MD. For example, if first sold in VA or NC. If you have a CarFax of something similar, look at the title history. If it started new in MD or other CARB state like PA or NY, logically that should be fine. But if it didn't, you need to look into that further to be sure of your coverage. It might be in warranty language somewhere too.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 10-31-2016 at 07:28 AM.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks - this is probably the most helpful response I have ever had on a forum (and I've been on flyertalk for the last six years where people are also great!)

My Q5 hybrid has got the standard 19" wheels, and I will take some out exactly as you suggest between full/light load ~ it's ok to do this with nitrogen, right?

How/what do you know about the ride quality, does this apply to yours, too? (Can't resist asking).

The warranty information. That's fantastic news. Car was new in MD (one owner) and I am in MD, so it should apply. I only got one warranty booklet in the packet (everything came in a black case and looked brand now, seems like original owner never opened it), but... the warranty booklet doesn't have any hybrid supplement. It has a bit of language about CA emissions, but you'd never know there was anything special about hybrids from reading it. I am really glad to hear about this because I didn't get a CPO vehicle, and I was a bit worried that I'd be up for a lot of financial pain if the battery etc. went down.

I have to say I am *loving* the car. It's a dream to drive, and a lot of fun to look at the gauges etc. It makes the Lexus RX350 I've driven for 8 years feel like a boat. And I like the Audi tech too, although I'm having a job figuring out an internet connection for the MMI which seems not to have been upgraded to the 3G as I have read about on here, so I'm wondering whether to pony up for Audi connect, just to see if they'll replace the modem for the faster one. T-Mo is ok in my area. But I'm also tempted to forget paying the Audi prices and just put one of the cheap SIMs in that many others have described here. I like the idea of the 3G upgrade though I will probably only use google maps.

Thanks again!!
Old 11-02-2016, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks - this is probably the most helpful response I have ever had on a forum (and I've been on flyertalk for the last six years where people are also great!)

My Q5 hybrid has got the standard 19" wheels, and I will take some out exactly as you suggest between full/light load ~ it's ok to do this with nitrogen, right?

How/what do you know about the ride quality, does this apply to yours, too? (Can't resist asking).

The warranty information. That's fantastic news. Car was new in MD (one owner) and I am in MD, so it should apply. I only got one warranty booklet in the packet (everything came in a black case and looked brand now, seems like original owner never opened it), but... the warranty booklet doesn't have any hybrid supplement. It has a bit of language about CA emissions, but you'd never know there was anything special about hybrids from reading it. I am really glad to hear about this because I didn't get a CPO vehicle, and I was a bit worried that I'd be up for a lot of financial pain if the battery etc. went down.

I have to say I am *loving* the car. It's a dream to drive, and a lot of fun to look at the gauges etc. It makes the Lexus RX350 I've driven for 8 years feel like a boat. And I like the Audi tech too, although I'm having a job figuring out an internet connection for the MMI which seems not to have been upgraded to the 3G as I have read about on here, so I'm wondering whether to pony up for Audi connect, just to see if they'll replace the modem for the faster one. T-Mo is ok in my area. But I'm also tempted to forget paying the Audi prices and just put one of the cheap SIMs in that many others have described here. I like the idea of the 3G upgrade though I will probably only use google maps.

Thanks again!!
You're welcome.

Mine now has 20's after I added RS5 front brakes--mostly just for fun as a mod. That then gives 255 width to tire w/ 45 sidewalls. What I should probably have done was use S5 wheels in 19 x 9 to get to greater width without reducing sidewall. Ride is firm of course but a little rougher than I want w/ pavement problems. Spoiled by A8/S8 air ride though. Also using summers that came w/ wheels. Once I burn those off I will go to quality A/S's to soften it some at margin.

Warranty. Se pic's below for booklet you are looking for. Close up is also included for document # and such. But failing that, I also got a "Supplement" that essentially seems to duplicate the book as to where the Q5 "extra's" are which are covered for the Hybrid. A guess is an older version of the booklet did not include the Hybrid but they just gave all owners the Supplement anyway. Note a bunch of biggies in there and things afield from the Hybrid drive too like steering. Turbo also covered, which it isn't on straight gas 2.0T. There might actually be a longer high voltage battery warranty--on website or in owners manual perhaps.

The funnest part would be Autobahn but you can't do that here. When you punch it at like 95-105 mph cruising along it then gives the 10-12 seconds of electric boost. Gets you some serious added oomph in German scenarios with strict passing only lane discipline; sort of like a whole second turbo setup available instantly. Having owned a Sienna AWD minivan that in early generation of RX was very similar in drivetrain, this is not Toyota/Lexus. It has its limits, but from having run it to the limiter in Germany, its at about 115 or 120 that the overall high center of gravity and not that slick aero set up starts to become obvious. Anything below that, as in anything in US even at ridiculous speeds, is solid, with the extra utility and higher ride benefits.
Attached Thumbnails Deciding between a 2013 Q5: Hybrid or Prestige?-fullsizerender-121.jpg   Deciding between a 2013 Q5: Hybrid or Prestige?-fullsizerender-122.jpg   Deciding between a 2013 Q5: Hybrid or Prestige?-fullsizerender-123.jpg  

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 11-02-2016 at 11:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Deciding between a 2013 Q5: Hybrid or Prestige?